What makes a good/bad agency?

Having passed my LGV C earlier this month, I have an interview with an agency tomorrow.

Reading through some earlier posts on this forum, there seems to be some good and some “not-so-good” agencies.

Is there anything I need to watch out for whilst I’m building up my experience doing agency work? What makes a good agency?

By the way, LGV driving is a bit of a career change for me. At the age of 54, I’d had enough of being a “suit” and wanted a change - you are never too old!! :wink:

No1 is good office staff. No2 is the agency having decent clients (this leads to less mucking about for the driver and less cancellations etc) No3 is a good set of drivers. You need all 3 in order for the agency model to truly work how it should.
Sadly most fall at the first hurdle, a few more at the second and what’s left struggle at the third.
Where are you based and what type of work are you looking for?

I am waiting on an Agency to ring me back (doubt it …but i’m a Glass half full kinda guy so I will live in hope) so Thought I would use this thread to ask my question.

What sort of questions should I be asking an Agency?

Up to Now I have

What other work do they offer apart from the work advertised
What are the average rates
How Much training is involved
I have holidays already booked, will this been an issue.

Anything else? :grimacing:

Sorry for the thread hi-jack

m1cks:

I live just south of Market Drayton in Shropshire, so about 7 miles from Crewe and 11 miles to the Potteries.

I’ve been actively sending out my CV to any/every company I can find. I would prefer to work for a company rather than an agency, but appreciate that I need to build up some experience before many companies will look at me. I don’t mind shifts or weekend work and whilst I’m fit for my age, I might not be the quickest at handballing or loading pallets!

TR4Man,

I’m going to be following a similar path to yourself in a few months after finding out I’m going to be made redundant, hanging up the suit at 52 years old.

Will you keep us informed on how you go on and what you learn on the way?

Cheers & Good Luck!!

There is no such thing as a good agency. They are all varying degrees of bad.

TR4man:

m1cks:

I live just south of Market Drayton in Shropshire, so about 7 miles from Crewe and 11 miles to the Potteries.

I’ve been actively sending out my CV to any/every company I can find. I would prefer to work for a company rather than an agency, but appreciate that I need to build up some experience before many companies will look at me. I don’t mind shifts or weekend work and whilst I’m fit for my age, I might not be the quickest at handballing or loading pallets!

I have read posts on here before that Bargain Booze in Crewe give new drivers a go might be worth googling them and give the tm a call

I have an interview with an agency tomorrow for a client I suspect is BB - the guy I spoke to today told me “be advised it can be very physical!”. :confused:

Was advertised on indeed.com.

Could well be as it’s all handballing. Good luck for tomorrow

Hi
Very interested in your situation would be good if you could post here about your progress
I am 2 years younger but looking to follow similar route to yourself.I was hoping to age proof my employment status for the future.
Your experience sounds similar to mine except I did not pass my Cat 2 but still want to get that licence
As for agencies I have heard so many bad stories but there are some ok ish ones but not sure about your area
you could try local hauliers direct as there have been some on here who did get work even without the 2 years experience
Difficult but seemingly not impossible

jimuk:
Hi
Very interested in your situation would be good if you could post here about your progress
I am 2 years younger but looking to follow similar route to yourself.I was hoping to age proof my employment status for the future.
Your experience sounds similar to mine except I did not pass my Cat 2 but still want to get that licence
As for agencies I have heard so many bad stories but there are some ok ish ones but not sure about your area
you could try local hauliers direct as there have been some on here who did get work even without the 2 years experience
Difficult but seemingly not impossible

I’m interested in both your situations: 45 & just been made redundant. I’ve done my theory & hazard perception for LGV & PCV - next I’ve got an assessment booked with Lantrain (in the recommended trainers list) during w/c 2/6/14 so I will see what they think it’s going to take to train me to drive a class C vehicle at first & then C&E if they are of the opinion that I can be trained to drive one to a safe & competent standard.

Working for a not so bad agency as a limited company is they way I’d like to go, if possible/practical.

Regards

ABB.