What is this switch?

Hi,
Can someone tell me what this switch does and how is it used? as it doesn’t appear to do anything when I press it, it is on a 2003 MAN 18ton gross rigid, I’m guessing it is something to do with setting a fast idle?
Thanks.

Switch.jpg

Maybe Crush control

Speed limiter perhaps?

Wild guess but something to do with the choke?

Pretty sure it’s a speed limiter switch.

Fast idle as it’s the “choke” symbol and the cruise control combined?

It’s the sleep button, the Z is already asleep (on its side) & the top bit is the clock.

martinviking:
It’s the sleep button, the Z is already asleep (on its side) & the top bit is the clock.

This, its to set alarm clock so you dont wake up at 11am with 20 missed calls from your first collection/drop… That you were due at 6am

In all honesty its more like something to do with the choke or fast idle

On the later MAN;s that switch when on means the variable limiter is active and when its off the cruise control is active
As yours is 2003, I suspect (but don’t know) it has cruise control
Not driven that old for some years so try it and see

Looks like a exhaust brake setting switch .

I’m pretty sure that’s the speed limiter. Try pressing it at say, 50mph, then setting your cruise control as normal. You may find the cruise doesn’t engage, but instead your speed is limited to 50mph.

It’s called a Bremsomatt button, it basically sets the speed limiter at whatever speed you want, unfortunately not faster than the maximum 90km/h though.

You press it at, say 40mph going through a 40mph section of roadworks and the lorry won’t exceed that speed on the throttle, obviously gravity will make it go faster downhill, so you still need to watch the speedo.

It’s the ‘practical joke switch’. You set it to 28 km/hr the night before you go on holiday, as outlined by the poster above.

Your employer is really glad to see you when you get back, because it’s taken the agency man all week to do what you do in a day, and he’s complaining about the gutless lorry.

Who says the Germans don’t have a sense of humour?

You can have a switch like this fitted to an ERF at a tacho centre and I’d think fitted to any lorry that’s got a limiter not in the ecu ,the one I’ve used stops you going over what ever speed you set it to but doesn’t work as cruise control though .

Another vote for speed limiter - the same symbol (speedometer with throttle) is displayed on the LCD on the dash when you engage the speed limiter on the 60 plate MAN I have been driving today.

Thanks, everyone, for all your helpful replies… I haven’t driven the truck yet since posting the question but I will explore all your suggestions and let you know what I find after I next use the truck. :smiley:
Cheers

As has been said it is the variable speed limiter, or it was when it left the factory. In times past unscrupulous operators would rewire it for a different function all together.

GasGas:
It’s the ‘practical joke switch’. You set it to 28 km/hr the night before you go on holiday, as outlined by the poster above.

Your employer is really glad to see you when you get back, because it’s taken the agency man all week to do what you do in a day, and he’s complaining about the gutless lorry.

comedy gold! :laughing:

GasGas:

You forgot to mention setting the language on the computer display to German.

Drove it today for the first time since I posted the question…

It is indeed a speed limiter switch! :laughing: , when operated it changes from cruise control to speed limiter, I can also utilise it to hold the revs at any speed when the vehicle is stationary (I now dont have to sit there in the morning, foot on accelerator, waiting for the air to build up)

So many thanks for all your responses and particularly those who were spot on! :smiley: