What is good about the road haulage industry

My son would like to know what is good about the road haulage industry

You get a big shiney toy to play with.There are still some good jobs out there.

There’s nothing good about it.

Depends on what kind of work you’re in. But with music related work:

Meeting new, likeminded people every day from the roadies to the other truck and tour bus drivers.

I get the day to myself so I actually get to explore most new places I go to rather than see them go past in the window.

I like driving at night anyway but it’s so much better tha trying to fight your way through our motorways in the day time imo. I’d rather hit a few sections of roadworks and have virtually empty roads.

It’s just good fun in general. Always seeing and learning new things and having to solve problems to do with driving hours, maintenance, directions etc.

But as I say, I can only speak for the work I do. I’m sure it won’t be long before the usual people find this thread and go on about how much they hate it.

“Good” is subjective, so perhaps you would be better off asking him, what appeals to him?

I put it to you, that some people would find “good” points in the ■■■■ shovelling industry. Equally I reckon some on here would whinge and moan, at the Alexandra Daddario ■■■■■■ tweaking industry…

Variety. There are lots of different jobs based on pulling a trailer so you can find one that ticks all of your boxes.

The wages, the pension contributions, sick pay etc are excellent from the perspective of the employer.

If you like driving then being paid for it is a big positive. I enjoy a long drive say 4hrs there and 4hrs back with one drop and one collection, nice and straight forward no headaches.

SHYTOT:
My son would like to know what is good about the road haulage industry

You aren’t stuck in an office or factory looking at the same four walls every day.

peter s:
There’s nothing good about it.

And it’s the only job you get fined or jailed for working to hard !

Hammy747:
Depends on what kind of work you’re in. But with music related work:

Meeting new, likeminded people every day from the roadies to the other truck and tour bus drivers.

I get the day to myself so I actually get to explore most new places I go to rather than see them go past in the window.

I like driving at night anyway but it’s so much better tha trying to fight your way through our motorways in the day time imo. I’d rather hit a few sections of roadworks and have virtually empty roads.

It’s just good fun in general. Always seeing and learning new things and having to solve problems to do with driving hours, maintenance, directions etc.

But as I say, I can only speak for the work I do. I’m sure it won’t be long before the usual people find this thread and go on about how much they hate it.

when I first started in 1990 I done night trunking to Birmingham,have to admit I found it very relaxing and quite peaceful,i drove an Austrian steyr [I think its spelt correctly]great sound system in it and I used to put sadness part 1 by enigma,very nice,mind you I was young and eager then,26 yrs later and I hate it now [driving]but unfortunately its all I know and bills and mortgage have to be paid

Retiring and not having to get up a silly o`clock especially in the winter :laughing: :laughing: