What do you with these fuel cards?

Not used one before. Do you have to pull up to the pump then go in and sort out the card bit before you can start taking fuel or do you just pull up take fuel as you would in your car?

I have only used Keyfuels mate. The other jobs I’ve had have their own fuel supply on site.

From memory I had to go into the shop, give them my reg no and mileage, and then they activate the pump.

Take your card in first,99% of places won’t turn the pump on until they have your fuel card.

Also remember your reg if it’s not in the card and mileage too.

Most cards like BP for instance, you’ll pull up at a BP pump, take the card to the counter, they might swipe it first or they might just say OK, they will keep the card till you’ve finished, tell them what pump(s) you require, might be two pumps if you have twin opposite tanks, then fill up, return to counter with your mileage and do the bis…you will probably have been given a pincode for use with the card, you might have to enter than code at the machine at payment time.

NB, check at the garage when they give you the card back that its yours, won’t be the first time some numpty at the tills has mixed the cards up…so its worth making a mark on your card both sides with a coloured indelible marker so you can easily identify yours among half a dozen lying all over the till.

Other cards like Keyfuels, assuming they are still going, you can still fill at some main road garages that display the Keyfuels sign, but some, like truckstop sites, have Keyfuels automated pumps, you’ll pull up beside a pump find the machine insert the card and follow the instructions, you will definately have a pin code for one of these…note some keyfuels sites are manned and auto.

You may even be able to get a 15 min break in.

Tin hat on.

eagerbeaver:
You may even be able to get a 15 min break in.

No wonder they call you eager, it’s gotta be a 45.
Remember all those coffees and snacks you have to buy while browsing the shop

Not all Keyfuels have/require a pin Juddian, as my last gig didn’t. It was just a signature along with Reg and Mileage.
The card did have a pin, but this was only required at automated sites like Watson’s…

just remember if you do sneak a 15 it is illegal - other work

Thanks Dad.

it was reply to a new card user son, I wasn’t sure if he knew :slight_smile:

Bet you’re a hoot at parties! Do you find people “suddenly” remembering they have things to do when you enter a room?

Evil8Beezle:
Not all Keyfuels have/require a pin Juddian, as my last gig didn’t. It was just a signature along with Reg and Mileage.
The card did have a pin, but this was only required at automated sites like Watson’s…

Think that may be the site EB as I have used auto/pay at pump, pre-authorised with signature, pre-authorised with pin and on one site had to enter the mileage on the terminal as well.

Thought for the day why do we still say “mileage” when the reading is kilometres? :confused: :confused:

Are Keyfuels dirt cheap or something? Places where they’re accepted are patchy, I can only think of Oxford M40 services around here that take them now.
Much prefer having a Shell card, never had to give my card over except at Beaconsfield M40.
Which reminds me, why do garages ask for your card yet to “check it” means placing it on a shelf?

Do you mean when you pull up to the m6toll booth? Yes it’s pretty straight forward I use it all the time… Whoops!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Muckaway:
Which reminds me, why do garages ask for your card yet to “check it” means placing it on a shelf?

I suspect problem people like non members of the caravan club is part of the reason… :wink:

Keyfuels i believe is cheap but possibly easier for small companies, one small haulier i worked for wouldn’t get BP cos he had to put a decent amount up front, so he said anyway.

My boss couldn’t decide between BP and Shell but I’m glad he didn’t choose BP as they seem more interested in selling mild lean coffee than diesel.