Well I never

0You now need a licence aswell as a DCPC.

really, i didn’t know that! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I bet the person who stuck that up is getting a lot of stick

This is from a motor we hired this mornin. They never asked to see my licence tho.
Also my first attempt at posting a picture, got there in the end.
I may even attempt a diary with pics.

Isn’t it ‘an’ when your pronouncing the letter aitch? An HGV and a heavy goods vehicle?
You should send it back and demand one that wasn’t written by a fool.

An LGV licence surely.

10-08:
Isn’t it ‘an’ when your pronouncing the letter aitch? An HGV and a heavy goods vehicle?

i asked an english teacher this one, and they said no to the ‘an’ because abbreviations should be read as full, and are only abbreviated to save space and repetition.

i still say an H.G.V. thoug :unamused: h

owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/01/

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

i asked an english teacher this one, and they said no to the ‘an’ because abbreviations should be read as full, and are only abbreviated to save space and repetition.

Interesting, so you’re supposed to say exempli gratia instead of e.g. That would have got me beaten up in school if I’d have spoken Latin, most haulage yards too come to think of it. :unamused:

Using a or an before an abbreviation

There are two schools of thought on this subject: “vocalisation of the abbreviation” and “vocalisation of the first word”.
Abbreviation verbalised

By this rule, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel-sounding letter, the article used is “an”; if it starts with a consonant-sounding letter, it takes an “a”. This would give “an NHS hospital” and “a BBC documentary”.

vowel-sounding letters (take “an”):A E F H I L M N O R S X

consonant-sounding letters (take “a”):B C D G J K P Q T U V W Y Z

Note: H is pronounced “aitch”!
Word verbalised

By this method, the first letter of the first word as it is read out determines whether “a” or “an” is used. Here we would have “a NHS hospital” (“a National Health Service hospital”), or “an UV lamp” (“an ultraviolet lamp”).

The second method can look and read quite awkwardly but is just about acceptable as long as the style is used consistently, or where abbreviations are commonly fleshed out in the head and in speech. Since the first method reads more naturally in the head, it’s easy to slip into it when the second style is supposedly being observed. The first method is by far the more popular.
Acronyms

An acronym is an abbreviation that is read out like a word, such as NASA, OPEC, NATO, etc. So here we would always have “a NASA spacecraft”, etc.

10-08:

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

Interesting, so you’re supposed to say exempli gratia instead of e.g. That would have got me beaten up in school if I’d have spoken Latin, most haulage yards too come to think of it. :unamused:

don’t shoot the messenger, i did say i say an H.G.V :open_mouth:

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

I wasn’t shooting!!! :blush:

schrodingers cat:
Using a or an before an abbreviation

There are two schools of thought on this subject: “vocalisation of the abbreviation” and “vocalisation of the first word”.
Abbreviation verbalised

By this rule, if the abbreviation starts with a vowel-sounding letter, the article used is “an”; if it starts with a consonant-sounding letter, it takes an “a”. This would give “an NHS hospital” and “a BBC documentary”.

vowel-sounding letters (take “an”):A E F H I L M N O R S X

consonant-sounding letters (take “a”):B C D G J K P Q T U V W Y Z

Note: H is pronounced “aitch”!
Word verbalised

By this method, the first letter of the first word as it is read out determines whether “a” or “an” is used. Here we would have “a NHS hospital” (“a National Health Service hospital”), or “an UV lamp” (“an ultraviolet lamp”).

The second method can look and read quite awkwardly but is just about acceptable as long as the style is used consistently, or where abbreviations are commonly fleshed out in the head and in speech. Since the first method reads more naturally in the head, it’s easy to slip into it when the second style is supposedly being observed. The first method is by far the more popular.
Acronyms

An acronym is an abbreviation that is read out like a word, such as NASA, OPEC, NATO, etc. So here we would always have “a NASA spacecraft”, etc.

So we’re decided. Send the lorry back, the office bod has been out-smarted by a bunch of ‘dumb’ truck drivers :smiling_imp:

Looks like a crappy Axor cab, is it?

Sapper

It is

10-08:

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

stuartrobbie:

10-08:

I wasn’t shooting!!! :blush:

He was only firing blanks

mickyblue:

You’ve been talking to his missus again haven’t you?

dew:

mickyblue:

:blush: :laughing: :wink:

mickyblue:

dew:

mickyblue:

:blush: :laughing: :wink:

I don’t have a missus prefer men tbh