Well colour me bad!

I never even considered this.

I’ve never heard of this before either :astonished:

Open ended contracts are ridiculous.
There is an argument to use private funds in construction, but when repaid and after a fair profit is made? Contract over. A mortgage loan is repaid with profit, but is not paid for eternity.

I drove trucks a lot in France, and bridges were built there, and tolls charged, but once paid for the tolls were ended, unlike my local toll bridge, the Itchen Bridge.

Also Pont de l’île de Ré and Viaduc de Martrou among others.

Scotland have right idea once bridges are paid off there then free
Same with the seven crossing
Surley the Humber bridge must be paid off by now. Along with Dartford tunnel. And the m 6 toll road .
Makes you wonder how many other roads there are like the one in the video still being paid earning money

The Tyne Tunnel is jointly owned by five local authorities and is still a toll road. Operating profits for the year ending March 2023 were about £19 million.
No plans to remove the toll.

This may very well be a case of MMTM but apparently revenue from the Humber bridge barely covers the interest on the original loan!

When the project was first mooted it was expected that it would link the East Coast M11 that was supposed to stretch to
Edinburgh. If that had come to fruition it would definitely be a money spinner.

The Pont de Brotonne is a spectacular bridge high above the river Seine west of Rouen and toll free since 2006(?).Once paid off I assume the bridge reverted to toll free.Approach roads are all single carriageway but access to the A29 and A13 motorways are close.I use it occasionally when I travel to Spain in my Spanish reg.Mondeo.It is a 2001 vintage diesel and I’m not sure if I can transit Rouen with it.

There is a site to get French coloured emissions stickers for foreign reg cars. Obviously make sure it is not a scam site charging a fortune though!

Thanks.My UK reg.Mondeo is more modern with a euro 6 diesel and i have a yellow sticker for that.The Spanish one is an old diesel and only eligible for a black one which is an effective ban.When i go through Rouen I drop down the hill from Dieppe,cross the river then do a left and a right,then out towards the A13 and Caen and later bear left towards A13 Paris then Evreux.This route may be permitted for all vehicles but I have not been able to find out yet.

I have used that same road a few times. I think the car emissions ban is in the town itself, and that route is along the edge of it. There are warning signs but you don’t actually enter the zone.

That bridge (Pont Gustave Flaubert, after the author) is a great bit of engineering too!

I have checked the map of the zone on line but I find it inconclusive I think the roads I use as described above are corridors to travel through the zone.Detection is by camera.