Weekend Agency?

Hi again.

Since my last activity on here, I have completed my CPC theory and just have the practical left before I can drive commercially. I got my Class 2 a couple of months back as well.

I have not long since somehow wound up with a job in the civil engineering industry, and it’s quite a good one that will no doubt have great opportunities opening up in the future when things really pick up again. My question is however, what are the opportunities as far as driving on the odd weekend go? Because I still have the want to drive trucks, and I guess the yard at where I’m based having a fleet of tippers and an artic doesn’t help. :laughing:

So is it a possibility or is it only something that becomes available when the economy is in full good health?

You shouldn’t have too much of a problem picking up some weekend work,summer holidays coming up etc:
Where are you based ?

If your normal job is Monday to Friday then there is no problem working one day every other week end.

Hi some agancies are advertising now for just weekend drivers so you should be ok just remember to keep a copy of the all hours you work in total .

In 6 years I’ve only been offered one weekend job. Not very common.

hi first of all good luck with getting weekend work, I think it’s a great way to get expierence and the roads are alot quiter! 2. What would the consiquences be if he worked Monday to Friday doing the civil engineering and then drove every Saturday?

sambo45:
hi first of all good luck with getting weekend work, I think it’s a great way to get expierence and the roads are alot quiter! 2. What would the consiquences be if he worked Monday to Friday doing the civil engineering and then drove every Saturday?

He would more than likely be having insufficient weekly rest as he would not be getting 45 hours rest at least every other week. As soon as he drives under EU rules in a week all the time he spends at his day job counts as other work. So, if he finishes at 17:00 Friday, does a shift on Saturday form say 06:00 to 18:00, the starts back at work on Monday at 09:00 that would be only 39 hours weekly rest. Doing that every week would be illegal and is why when you do a proper job from Monday to Friday you really only have the opportunity to do one day driving every 2 weeks.

Round these parts Weekend work on the agencies is hard to come by. Even though I’m pretty well established and get on well with my two “good” agencies, I do get offered the weekend work but it took at least a few months of hard graft and brown nosing to get it.

It generally goes to only their absolutely favourite drivers, as it commands a higher rate (most of the time) and there’s little of it about. With lots of people having families it saves a lot on childcare if you can work a couple of days at the weekend and take 1 or 2 off during the week to look after the kids.