Week one New Job

Hmm busy 1st week as some of you will know.

My 1st week was as expected apart from a few (non fault) problems with the truck.
Got in the yard Sunday night and stowed a little more kit in the truck and settled down for a night’s sleep lol No chance!!! It was so quiet it was uncanny even though I live in a dead end road we still have noise but Sunday nope nothing till I’m just about to drop off when the seagulls started singing grrrrrrrrrrr.
Up bright and early, Tacho in PVI done paperwork sorted off we go turn the key and hmm nothing■■? For a funny moment I did think is this a battery truck lol but no something is not working and it’s the truck. As it happens the fitter comes in and gets looking on it. I don’t have to be in Dorchester till 8.30 but I still have to strap the load etc and get moving and after years of pulling crisps i thought i would take it easy getting use to the truck and weights again…
Fitter gets it started so I run it round to the garage where he’s got a lad that’s gonna look at it.
6.45 were moving looks like this truck has the battery guard switch and he pushed that and it worked (mind me and the fitter was banging that switch for an hour).
Hook up the trl strap the load down and off I go.
Get to Dorchester only 15mins late, even better the crew that the pilons are for aren’t in yet.

Tipped and ready to roll I head back up to Taunton and pick up a pre-loaded trl just gotta strap it all down.
A quick detour back to the yard top up the fuel and I’m Scotland bound. I get pass customs and eventually find my drop on noon Tuesday due to the wrong address, I sob story the guy I’m delivering to and he put my arrival as on time 9am pmsl.
Off now to pick up some timber for Loughborough Timber on and I get as far as just above Sterling for my 2nd night.
Lovely night’s sleep and I’m on the road just gone half 3am, stopped in Carlisle for some go go juice but I can only get 170lts they’ve run out , mind I still have over half a tank so nothing to worry about.
Hit the road again and get to the burger van at the bottom of the A66 on 4hrs 20min have a 45 and plod on to get the timber off.

Next is down to pick up some tiles and at this point the weather has been good blazing sun apart from this run down from Scotland but it’s really turned out nice till I got the tiles on

and the heavens open got to net this. Nets on and off to park up and I make the A46. Bed about 10 and slept like a baby (no not sucking me thumb).
Wed up early lol 5.30 and run back to the yard top up with 470lts and 25 of ad-blu then run this load to (Tiverton) more like Wellington.
At this point most would trash tipper drivers but hell I came across 2 good guys, going steady down the lanes 2 tippies come u behind me and I pull over to let them pass (we know what their like don’t we ) well the 1st guy stops and says “Tiles ? just keep following the road and it’s on your right “ 2nd guy passing stops and asks “tiles “ I nod and he says “follow me drive “ and off we go no I’m thinking he’s goanna fly but NO he plodded so I could keep up. So THANK YOU MR TIPPIE. Get in and tip.
Pulls up the road now and has a break before ringing in.
Office rings Load out of RockBeard near Exeter.
Why don’t they make the roads bigger for the quarry’s we lost the horse and cart years ago ■■?
H&S point here Mr H&S you have lost the plot not only do you need Hi-Viz jacket but trousers too wtf well I ain’t got any so the guy loans me a brand new pair of water proof ones which i end up paying a few quid for and keep them, again thank you quarry lad.
Get loaded slabs for Farnborough netted and off I go. I get to Salisbury and notice the druids have squatted near the old stone house pmsl

. stopped for my 2nd break and the wagon won’t start so after talking t the fitter I’m sitting there smacking the Fuse box and relays and yep it starts so I make not just Farnborough but right outside my drop

zzzzzzzzzzz needed so night all as I don’t start till 7 whoop whoop .
Well tipped by 9am run back to Taunton and swap trailers for my load for Monday

Yep SCOTLAND
A busy week for a old git that ain’t done Gen haulage for 16 years but I loved every min of it

Nice read - enjoyed that :smiley:

Good read and nice pics :slight_smile: . Looking forward to next weeks installment.

Think I saw you? were you at Poundbury?

Fastrantiger:
Think I saw you? were you at Poundbury?

I was there about 8.45 on Monday tipping on the new Housing site

Good read thanks for taking the time to post. Brings back memories of the Tiles to Burlescombe. :smiley:

nice diary :smiley: that one of irlams old motors?? :slight_smile:

phantom309:

Could be, as it’s on Mancunian plates.

Ken.

phantom309:

yes it is had a problem with it as said but the fitter sorted it out last weekend.
Flat out a whoopin 51 pmsl but that’ll do me

A nice read with some great photos thanks
a lot

nice read and its reason we all keep going
cause we love it no matter how much we complain

Where did you tip the timber mate?

Steve-o:
Where did you tip the timber mate?

Loughborough

Good read buddy.
do you know if keedwell are looking for any drivers out of highbridge , what they like to work for cheers