WALLACE Driving School. London

Hi mates.
I am looking in to training to gain my C1 license. So far Wallace school seems to be a good one here in London, has anybody got any references and/or experience with this company?

Ta

=========================

I’ve moved your post to a forum where you’ll get plenty of views and some good advice. dd. :smiley:

Wallace is a good, reputable, old established school.

Your alternative (somewhat less expensive) is to do CAT C with John @ Flair Training, Chelmsford.

A further possibility is a residential course on C1 or C with us.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Jota:
I am looking in to training to gain my C1 license

Did you mean LGV C1 (7.5 tonner) or do you mean LGV C+E (old HGV class 1) :question:

They are pretty much only choice within M25, but they have some issues as well.

1. Factory, monopoly, conveyor style approach.
    Person in office mash together dates and times and gives trainee schedule with no sense - for example test on peak hour on Monday and training at night on Sunday…
    When speaking with them trainee must force them to make dates and times sensible - if they offer test on peak hour on working day - request all training to be on peak hour on working days as well, there is no point of training to drive on early weekend and Sunday night on empty road and have test on completely different circumstances…

2. Instructors tend to teach to drive in a manner that might fail trainee in situation where trainee could have not failed, for example “guessing roundabouts” and “guessing buses”…
    Because of this trainee upon test can get instant fail because other driver didn’t show indicator and trainee was taught to “guess”…

For example if you approach roundabout and assume that everyone will go like they should but one car forgot to show indicator you have to brake and you failed where you could have got minor for hesitation but still go through test…

It’s better to get several minors than one instant fail so this approach is not fully correct.

Also I didn’t like that everyone - instructors, office staff etc where jumping around me saying “drawbar for Class 1”, “drawbar is the best”, “do the drawbar”, “drawbar is so easy” yeeyii yeeyii yeeyiii… I saw that as disgusting attempt of scam…

Long story short - You - Trainee are the one who will need to get the licence and all mainly depends from you not from others…

But on positive - yes their system is well oiled machine…

Thank you so much Peter.

Im afraid you are too far away from me here otherwise I would have a go. I will check the other one in Chelmsford though.

Cheers

Hi ROG.

I meant C1 7.5 Tonner. I haven’t been much on the road for the past 6 years so I’d rather smaller lorries for now. Used to drive a Transporter doing transfers to airports

Thanks mate

Hi KYK

1. Factory, monopoly, conveyor style approach.
    Person in office mash together dates and times and gives trainee schedule with no sense…
    I don’t like that, I am expecting good advise for my money

2. Instructors tend to teach to drive in a manner that might fail trainee in situation where trainee could have not failed, for example “guessing roundabouts” and “guessing buses”…
    Because of this trainee upon test can get instant fail because other driver didn’t show indicator and trainee was taught to “guess”…

If there is something I know for sure in this life is never to trust ( let alone guess) what some drivers are capable of. So I don’t like that approach…

Also I didn’t like that everyone - instructors, office staff etc where jumping around me saying “drawbar for Class 1”, “drawbar is the best”, “do the drawbar”, “drawbar is so easy” yeeyii yeeyii yeeyiii… I saw that as disgusting attempt of scam…

I don’t like pushy people telling me what to do according to their pockets.

But on positive - yes their system is well oiled machine…
[/quote]
Thank you very much for your time and advise, I really appreciate it

Cheers

It will be hard to find alternative within M25 area…
And if you push them you can force them to provide good service… they have resources for that it’s just human factor

Roadtrain in Thurrock is where I did my class 2 in 2008 and class 1 in march last year.

Class 2 was funded by my company, but I paid for class 1 myself and was happy with the price and training.

Lee

Go for some assessment drives (Wallace / John at Flair as Pete suggests) try Class C with no pressure to commit to a course. I’d never driven anything larger than a Transit and didn’t find the size of the lorry ant issues. I passed with Flair in Nov in his Eurocargo and I’m sure that the 7.5t (in current job) I sometimes go out in is bigger.

Jota:
Hi ROG.

I meant C1 7.5 Tonner. I haven’t been much on the road for the past 6 years so I’d rather smaller lorries for now. Used to drive a Transporter doing transfers to airports

Thanks mate

Doing my training and practical test outside London seems to be slightly less expensive but then it does add up when taking into account train fares and possible B£B…
But my question is; is it any “easier” to pass my practical test outside London as roads might be less busy?

Cheers

Thank you guys.

I am going to try free drives in Wallace, Flair, and Roadtrain and take it from there. I’ll keep you informed.

Ta

Forget doing C1 - do C

You can always drive C1s for a living if that is what you choose but at least you will have C allowing you to go direct to CE

I would go for Cat C try it it wont cast anything to do so

I went down to John at Flair passes my CE with him & can recommend him quietly spoken put things across in a good manner easy to understand but will also teach you to drive not just to pass the test ( oh he likes home made cakes :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: )

I did my class 2 and 1 and cpc with Wallace and I would highly recommend it.

I am booking C+E Heathrow area. I visited them today and I liked the setup they have.

Did my C with National Driving Center in Croydon, and my C+E with Flair in Chelmsford.

I would recommend either, but Flair represents exceptional value for money.

I start my Class 2 training with Wallace next Thursday. I’m doing it at their training site in Heathrow.
From the beginning I have found them easy to deal with, they quickly respond to any queries I might have and are very helpful and friendly in general.

My training is 5 days - Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday + test. So I get the weekend break, which suits me fine, I’d rather have my test on a Wednesday than a Friday.

I am going on to do my Class 1 with them and they did mention the draw bar being cheaper and ‘easier’ but all in all said it was my own decision whether I did it in that or a full artic - I didn’t feel pressured by them and wherever I choose to do it, it will be in an artic as this is what I intend to drive.

The only thing I am apprehensive about is taking my test in Acton, London. I am going to power on with my class 2 and get that done but if it is too hectic and I don’t like the idea of taking my class 1 in London then I will look at some other options but as said I chose Wallace because it is a well established, reputable school.

Well mates, thank you again for all the info.

I might have a go on a C and see how it feels. My only concern is that I have never used that kind of gearbox so I am a bit “scared” I wont deal with it properly and it could become a big problem when doing my practical… but I shall try and, as they say, ■■■■ it and see.

Cheers

Jota:
Well mates, thank you again for all the info.

I might have a go on a C and see how it feels. My only concern is that I have never used that kind of gearbox so I am a bit “scared” I wont deal with it properly and it could become a big problem when doing my practical… but I shall try and, as they say, ■■■■ it and see.

Cheers

Dont worry about the gears as I think most of us were like that until we started our training that is what the instructors are for to take the pressure off