VOSA OTT?

One of our lads got pulled yesterday on the M6. Nothing out of the ordinary but he had two portacabins on which were markered and sat over the sides by a foot and over the back by around four foot. This is on an artic.
Now the problem. The officer said he may issue points and a fine as the lad did not have extension mirrors.
He said that as he could not clearly see the rear quarter of his trailer.
He would not let him go even if he had an ■■■■■■ of some sort-even police. He also said that drop mirrors could not be used either, infact any mirror lower that 2m was a no no.
He allowed the lad to go to a local caravan shop to buy two car mirrors which he made fit. this then was ok and he was allowed on his way.
Has anyone else come across this? How would this effect you chaps who move cabins on a daily. OR other wide loads for that matter? Is it something new as no one we have spokern to knows anything about it!
your thoughts please.

Hi I move static Caravans never had problem with vosa about not having extension mirrors,
Its not Law, unless things have changed and no one has been told!
I do know some companys that have them fitted but they are allways getting broken,
If Your transporting a 14ft wide caravan with extension mirrors,your asking for damage,3ft of extension bar and a mirror each side attached to the cabs standard mirrors no thanks!
Its bad enough when some drivers pass within a nats ■■■■,without seeing them in a mirror :laughing:

marke:
Hi I move static Caravans never had problem with vosa about not having extension mirrors,
Its not Law, unless things have changed and no one has been told!
I do know some companys that have them fitted but they are allways getting broken,
If Your transporting a 14ft wide caravan with extension mirrors,your asking for damage,3ft of extension bar and a mirror each side attached to the cabs standard mirrors no thanks!
Its bad enough when some drivers pass within a nats ■■■■,without seeing them in a mirror :laughing:

sounds like another rule they made up over breaky!!!

VOSTAPO RULES!!!

would have thought he would they would have been more worried about the overhang if he had 2 cabins on hence indivisable load not legal use drop down mirrors myself never had any problems occasional jobsworth telling me they shouldnt be on there but when they check construction and use regs they find there is nothing they can do about it.

sportmonkey:
would have thought he would they would have been more worried about the overhang if he had 2 cabins on hence indivisable load not legal use drop down mirrors myself never had any problems occasional jobsworth telling me they shouldnt be on there but when they check construction and use regs they find there is nothing they can do about it.

Why is it an indivisible load?

From 1m - 2m rear overhang MUST be clearly marked.

From 2m - 3.05m a marker board must define the end of the load and it must be illuminated at night.

Your load must not project more than 305mm either side of your trailer and not give an overall width of over 2.9m

Assuming that the side overhang was less than a foot (305mm) and the portacabins had the correct markers, not just the usual winking lights, then no problems as far as I can see.the steel stockholders cribsheet was handy for this, showing what overhangs are permissible with just lights/boards and which you had to have route authorisation for, or a second man.