Volvo FM /FH 12/13 Trucks

Hear lots of good reports about this range of trucks , reliable , durable , etc etc , all information welcome .

FM13 Globetrotter one of my favourite trucks, comfortable and drives like a go kart.

Coffeeholic:
FM13 Globetrotter one of my favourite trucks, comfortable and drives like a go kart.

i also drive one of these with the 480 engine and i-shift cracking motor to drive and pulls like a train .

new shape FH should be out soon,
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80160

I have had 2x FM Globetrotters a 440 and a 460 both i-shifts and both tag axles absolutely cracking trucks.Both were used on quarries and farms nearly always at full weight they took all the knocks and bangs in there stride they were so good the company i work for runs in the region of 50 of them in mostly on landfill work the range in the company include 6x4s and 6x2 tags and mid lifts.The engines usually 440 but we run 420s,460s,and a pair of FH 480s.I now have a Daf 85 CF and yes i would swap it back to an FM Globetrotter back :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Got to agree with that. I really like mine, although mines an older 420. Its got all I could need in it, good visibility and maneuverability, comfy, enough space and storage for a couple of weeks away and chuckable when you’re in the mood :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Funnily enough I’ve had several “so called professional” drivers on the boat look down their noses at it and tell me it’s illegal to do Euro in due because the cabs to small and I’ll be looking at a fine from the Spanish if they stop me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Imagine that eh :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: If they’d mentioned the children I’d of had a full house :grimacing: :grimacing:

billybigrig:

Coffeeholic:

Got to agree with that. I really like mine, although mines an older 420. Its got all I could need in it, good visibility and maneuverability, comfy, enough space and storage for a couple of weeks away and chuckable when you’re in the mood :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Funnily enough I’ve had several “so called professional” drivers on the boat look down their noses at it and tell me it’s illegal to do Euro in due because the cabs to small and I’ll be looking at a fine from the Spanish if they stop me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Imagine that eh :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to get that on the train a lot with the one I had for a couple of years. I used to ask them to show me the legislation or STFU. No one ever showed me the legislation. I only swapped for a new Daf because when I was offered it if I hadn’t taken it a driver I really despise would have got it, and he was desperate for a Daf, so I cut of my nose to spite his face. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

billybigrig:

Coffeeholic:

Funnily enough I’ve had several “so called professional” drivers on the boat look down their noses at it and tell me it’s illegal to do Euro in due because the cabs to small and I’ll be looking at a fine from the Spanish if they stop me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Imagine that eh :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

I used to get that on the train a lot. I used to ask them to show me the legislation or STFU. No one ever showed me the legislation.

My answer is usually “I can’t have one of those big V8s Supertopspacemegaglobeliners as the weight of my paypacket would put me over on the front axle” :wink:

That usually ends the conversation :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

billybigrig:

Coffeeholic:
I used to get that on the train a lot. I used to ask them to show me the legislation or STFU. No one ever showed me the legislation.

My answer is usually “I can’t have one of those big V8s Supertopspacemegaglobeliners as the weight of my paypacket would put me over on the front axle” :wink:

That usually ends the conversation :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

One of my other responses was to enquire how much discount they got at the till in Tesco, other supermarkets are available, when the told them they drove a Supertopspacemegaglobeliners. That would confuse them and they would stop talking at the mad idiot, which suited me just fine.

they arnt actualy called an fh/fm 13 either volvo refused to put the number 13 on them as far as im aware. after the fh/fm12 they became soley an fh/fm

Sort had a love/hate feeling with the FH13 Globby XL i used to drive…drove lovely, felt cramped when tramping on nights out.

I’m not a big bloke by any means, but even i felt the slope of the screen intruded too much.

Bunk was superb, but top one just got in the way…passenger seat likewise…wish they did one that could swivel to face into the truck for watching tv etc.

We had some Megaspace Mercs and they seemed much better for tramping in…drivers that changed from the FH to them raved about them. But then we had Topline’s as well, and you had to pry the drivers out with a bar when their new trucks arrived!

I’ve gone from a FH XL 500 to a MegaSpace 460 Actros and it’s a far better living space…
I must admit I miss the I-Shift tho it’s a far better box than in the Actros

Can’t go too wrong with a Volvo,that’s not to say they’re perfect but hey are 1 of if not the best. The windscreen is a big problem though.

truckers boy:
they arnt actualy called an fh/fm 13 either volvo refused to put the number 13 on them as far as im aware. after the fh/fm12 they became soley an fh/fm

This is so true and sometimes hard to explain to people. :laughing:

I have just had a FH13 460 taken of me and been given a Merc (gutted). I used to have my own FH12 on a 54 plate which I was tramping in also.
Some drivers as above will highlight a few things that aren’t perfect. Brilliant bit of kit from a drivers point of view. If I could ask the boss for my own motor it would be one.
Im 6 foot 15 stone, no problem with interior space, windscreen not too intrusive for me anyway. There are bigger living spaces out there (Merc SuperSpace, Daf105, etc), but still a well thought out space.
Interior stowage good, lockers light up when you open them.
Under bunk fridge/cool box good size.
Comfy bunk.
Loads of interior light options from behind the wheel and in the bunk (dimmer switch/ position adjustable reading light in bunk).
Flat floor almost.
Night heater good, radio has Bluetooth and a USB port.
Outside lockers good size.
Great mirrors. Never lose sight of the trailer during blind side reversing.
Engine break superb.
Auto box best there is.
Handle great (cab roll with the FH).
Smooth drive and low noise levels.
Great seats and driving position.
Switch’s well placed and in view plus nice and chunky so easy to use.
With a premium product like this you expect a little bit extra. The small things in a good design make a big difference in everyday use. Well thought out bit of quality kit imo.