Volvo 88 today

Did anybody else see this (or one like it) a Crawfords of Haltwhistle F88 heading s/b on the M6 early evening.
Must have been heading to some show or another, unless I have seen some kind of Trucking Ghost.
I thought I had gone back in time, I often used to see these when I first started as they are fairly near to my area, and I always dreamt of driving a 88 at that time…(yeh I know, simple things etc etc, but I was a young impressionable lad then. :blush: :smiley: )

33714510490_17196dc28c_b.jpg

Show on at Gaydon this weekend…

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

robroy:
Did anybody else see this (or one like it) a Crawfords of Haltwhistle F88 heading s/b on the M6 early evening.
Must have been heading to some show or another, unless I have seen some kind of Trucking Ghost.
I thought I had gone back in time, I often used to see these when I first started as they are fairly near to my area, and I always dreamt of driving a 88 at that time…(yeh I know, simple things etc etc, but I was a young impressionable lad then. :blush: :smiley: )

Hmm , that picture is from brough the other month ?

Punchy Dan:

robroy:

Hmm , that picture is from brough the other month ?

I wouldn’t know Dan, I just googled Crawford Haltwhistle 88 to put tye pic in my post as a lot on here wouldn’t know what an 88 was, too godamn young… unlike me. :smiley:

Ooooh…
bloody gorgeous! I loved my '88 at the time, these and Scania 110’s were some of the original ‘super swedes’ and were more common than the F89 and 140 marques that held the real title.
I had both the 240 and 290 BHP engined trucks,and both pulled well after starting on an Atkinson Borderer and A series ERF’s :slight_smile:

Could be going to Volvo Warwick first there is agatherining of old 88 89 I’m just going up in my f 16 should be good

rward:
Could be going to Volvo Warwick first there is agatherining of old 88 89 I’m just going up in my f 16 should be good

don’t forget to take some photo’s!

Welcome to post Brexit Britain. …

F16…

Rocks!

Volvo have a 50th anniversary event in Warwick today
facebook.com/VolvoTrucksUK/ … =3&theater

Twoninety88:
Ooooh…
bloody gorgeous! I loved my '88 at the time, these and Scania 110’s were some of the original ‘super swedes’ and were more common than the F89 and 140 marques that held the real title.
I had both the 240 and 290 BHP engined trucks,and both pulled well after starting on an Atkinson Borderer and A series ERF’s :slight_smile:

Before I started I used to go off with a couple of mates, this was around 78 and I really liked the look of an 88 and kind of set my heart on driving one.
Started on a TK rigid, went on to artics SedAtks, ERFs etc, and by that time the 88 was obsolete and I got an F10.
Nearest I got to one was a lift home in a one off a guy.
Never driven one to this day, it’s on my bucket list…how sad am I. :smiley:

Dream motor for a lot of us in the old days !
I got out of a Leyland Clydesdale into an 88 in about 1982 , what a leap !!
I was the bees knees , the dogs bollox , best thing since sliced bread , the lot !
Superior in every way to the Leyland shed.
Jim

I have driven these in years long gone by & they were a monster of a vehicle in their day, I was at the Jacks Hill Cafe gathering last year & saw a a very nice F88 on show, when I first looked at it, I thought some one had built a scaled down replica version before realising it was the real thing, it looked so small compared to modern motors, where as the DAF 2800 that was there looked bigger then I remember.

When I worked for Boyd Bros (yuk) of Corpach they had a couple of them in the back of thier workshop …

dave docwra:
I have driven these in years long gone by & they were a monster of a vehicle in their day, I was at the Jacks Hill Cafe gathering last year & saw a a very nice F88 on show, when I first looked at it, I thought some one had built a scaled down replica version before realising it was the real thing, it looked so small compared to modern motors, .

That’s true that, I see types of motors now that I drove years ago and they look smaller.
Can’t believe how I slept in a TK at 6’ 1" when I see them now.

I parked next to it at the Hollies last night ,just to take a good look, a real beaut!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

robroy:

dave docwra:
I have driven these in years long gone by & they were a monster of a vehicle in their day, I was at the Jacks Hill Cafe gathering last year & saw a a very nice F88 on show, when I first looked at it, I thought some one had built a scaled down replica version before realising it was the real thing, it looked so small compared to modern motors, .

That’s true that, I see types of motors now that I drove years ago and they look smaller.
Can’t believe how I slept in a TK at 6’ 1" when I see them now.

True indeed ,I was only thinking today how the 11225 tyres on my Erf look like bike tyres compared with the 315 s on my other .

Well before my time… :confused:

Pete.

Saw it on M5 heading up from Portbury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great day well organised 86 88 89 f10 12 16 and many more all brilliant Volvo were brilliant as well made everybody welcome met some great people cannot fault it thanks fora great day regards rowly ward