Van den bosch transport

switchlogic:
Rob your so full of crap. You think I’m a blue eyed boy who can do no wrong wherever I work? Ring Nolans and see what they think of me.

No that is not what I said. I said that in your eyes the company can do no wrong.

I think you’ll find I’ve hardly defended VdB or Frans but rather just put my views across. In fact I pointed out how little I (or indeed you) know about VdB. Hardly a good position to defend them from, or indeed for you to so actively attack them.
[/quote]
My comments are based on comments made by other members that have worked for them. Comments that have not been refuted by Frans.

Your a good one to talk about points scoring and cheap jibes, pot calling the kettle black? And as anyone who posts on here a lot does know is that your views veer all over the shop

Actually no. I think you are confusing me with someone else, unless you are going to back 2003/4 when my outlook on ‘stuff’ was different to what it is now. My views usually remain very firm.

you just like attacking things and will take any stance that will allow you to do that, including attacking those of us that put an alternative viewpoint.

Not at all. You’ve just made that first bit up. If I think something is wrong/BS then I’ll say so. I don’t show favouritism to anyone, regardless of what some on here think. I speak for myself and no-one else.

And yes I won’t get a pay rise anytime soon, because there are too many people like you that spending company money on overpriced fuel and leaving the engine running endlessly is ok. But I’m still gonna do my bit regardless.

I see…

So by “still gonna do my bit” I assume then that you never use the night heater, never run the engine to keep the battery topped up when you’re running your camera, iPad, microwave, laptop, etc etc, because doing so would jeopardise your chances of a pay rise!!!1111111 I think I can quite safely call “hypocrite” here…

You should be a union leader, one of those overblown types, full of his own self importance and spewing uninformed crap. Up the worker.

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

Rob K:
It’s a good thing that the night heater isn’t wired up to the HQ computer screens… :open_mouth:

How are they not■■?
By the way you need to check when they go to bed to play their lullaby on the computer and send them instructions where to put their Teddybear :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

By the way Airco is for Jessies, all the people who did Middle East and North Africa in the 70’s and 80’s never heard of Airco at that point.
My Daf 2800ATI didn’t even have mounting points for an airco :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
And that went to South Spain, North Africa, Turkey, Persia etc.
To many steeringwheel attendants, not enough drivers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do you really think that these old Pegasso’s in Spain all have airconditioning, or the old Fiat in Italy?
Think again

By the way have’nt seen any admission by caledonian dream that he’s wrong about that issue of air con not being used on 1970’s middle east running wagons :question: :laughing: .

Hi Carryfast, maybe somebody should tell you that the Teletubbies are not real, it’s just a play on the telly.
Because they show in a promotional documentary a truck with a airco pod on it, doesn’t mean that the whole universe was driving with airco in their cab.
But I forgot, you was in North Africa with your counsel gritting truck, gritting the Sahara in 1970.
Also there was a reason why the likes of Astrans used Scannies and Volvo’s, not because the Leylands, Fodens and ERF’s where so great.
The plastic cabs in the 80’s on the ERF’s and Foden brought a new meaning to the word BAKEWELL in hot weather.
Yes there was some air-conditioning in the 70’s but it was still very rare and very unreliable.
It was defiantly not a standard, mind in that time most trucks didn’t even have a night heater,
I don’t think in the 80’s -90’s British trucks did come with air-conditioning at all.

Desperately clutching at straws spring to mind. I’m not going to respond as it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Good day to you kind sir.

My first post on this thread, I think! I had no experience of air con until about 8/9 years ago. Until then I didn’t think it was necessary. When I got my first truck with a.c. it soon became obvious it was a real boon. Trucks have so much glass in them that even on overcast days they don’t take long heating up. That’s why greenhouses are made of the stuff!

One of the catchphrases I picked up, even before I started to drive, was CAT.

Concentration

Anticipation and

Toleration.

All these aspects of a drivers mentality I found considerably easier when I wasn’t being baked alive! So I’d offer the opinion that a.c. can be a valuable contribution to road safety as well as giving a driver a comfortable working environment. If I was running my own truck/s I would without doubt spec them with a suitable means of cooling the cab. The POD on the roof seems like the best solution for those whose trucks can be parked up for a considerable time.
And last but not least, if you’re not prepared to give your drivers a comfortable working environment can I suggest you pull the a.c. system out of your offices because that ain’t free either! What’s good for the goose is good for the gander!

caledoniandream:

Carryfast:

caledoniandream:

Rob K:
It’s a good thing that the night heater isn’t wired up to the HQ computer screens… :open_mouth:

How are they not■■?
By the way you need to check when they go to bed to play their lullaby on the computer and send them instructions where to put their Teddybear :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

By the way Airco is for Jessies, all the people who did Middle East and North Africa in the 70’s and 80’s never heard of Airco at that point.
My Daf 2800ATI didn’t even have mounting points for an airco :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:
And that went to South Spain, North Africa, Turkey, Persia etc.
To many steeringwheel attendants, not enough drivers. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Do you really think that these old Pegasso’s in Spain all have airconditioning, or the old Fiat in Italy?
Think again

By the way have’nt seen any admission by caledonian dream that he’s wrong about that issue of air con not being used on 1970’s middle east running wagons :question: :laughing: .

Hi Carryfast, maybe somebody should tell you that the Teletubbies are not real, it’s just a play on the telly.
Because they show in a promotional documentary a truck with a airco pod on it, doesn’t mean that the whole universe was driving with airco in their cab.
But I forgot, you was in North Africa with your counsel gritting truck, gritting the Sahara in 1970.
Also there was a reason why the likes of Astrans used Scannies and Volvo’s, not because the Leylands, Fodens and ERF’s where so great.
The plastic cabs in the 80’s on the ERF’s and Foden brought a new meaning to the word BAKEWELL in hot weather.
Yes there was some air-conditioning in the 70’s but it was still very rare and very unreliable.
It was defiantly not a standard, mind in that time most trucks didn’t even have a night heater,
I don’t think in the 80’s -90’s British trucks did come with air-conditioning at all.

I was’nt talking about an industry standard fit air con during the 1970’s and the UK middle east fleet certainly would’nt have been the whole trucking universe at the time either :laughing: .But what I was saying was that anyone (with any sense),running regularly on hot climate work,did fit and use air con and that was always the benchmark at the time in recognising proper middle east running outfits at least the British ones.Those trucks in Destination Doha certainly were’nt built specially and with air con just for the purposes of the documentary.They were regular running vehicles used on those runs of which the BBC just happened to make a docomentary at the time.But being a wanabbe middle east driver and council driver obviously did’nt do me any harm in having my own initiative in which if I was working for a fleet outfit on tight margins I’d make sure that I would’nt freeze or fry without any need to run the zb engine to do it. :smiling_imp: :laughing: .I’d also make sure that the zb telemetry was’nt working either. :wink: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

del trotter:

Rob K:
There’s a big difference between controlling costs and greed. The case here is quite clearly the latter.

What a complete load of Pony,. How can you make the statement it is greed? You no nothing of VDB’s costs. A well run company will always control fuel usage, and having a large fleet of trucks sat around just running the engines for no reason would soon add up.

Wind your neck in, I know you think you are the all knowing oracle on the haulage industry, but on this occasion you are talking ■■■■■■■■.

I am sorry that i have to agree with Del on this point.
If this was an English company, the accountant would be the one saving the money by speccing the most basic trucks available without factory aircon or any driver comforts, they wouldn’t supply a drivers restaurant or pristine showers, they wouldn’t pay the amount of people they do to keep the trucks clean and serviceable. Most companies in the UK will not even pay for screenwash to save money.

Honestly Rob, there are much much worse out there.

There is a problem with the FM fuel tanks, as the vehicles were originally ordered for the UK, that is the reason for the small wheel conversion and tiny tanks. In the tanker or any bulk haulage business, it is payload that counts!

Controlling the fuel usage is obviously fair enough, but there’s controlling it and then there’s being ■■■■ about it and the latter is clearly the case. My “anger” (for the want of a better word) is not directed at them controlling their costs but at the way they do it. Actively monitoring the drivers on a screen to see who is running the aircon when they’re not moving is complete overkill and yes, it may save you a few quid, but on the flipside you antagonise your driver and turn them against you for being so petty.

I mean seriously, this kind of expense should be factored into the tenders right from the start, just like breakdowns, tyres, accidents, etc should be. When the nature of your work means that your drivers are living in the truck for up to 3 weeks at a time then you should expect to factor in some expense for creature comforts and/or a small amount of extra fuel use from running the engine occasionally when parked up to ensure the batteries are kept topped up and/or to run the aircon for a short period to cool down. Obviously you have to draw the line somewhere with a kinda ‘fair usage’ policy, but that could easily be monitored by the overall mpg figures for the truck over the period that the driver was using it.

Like someone else said, happy staff work better. Work with your staff then they’ll work with you. Keep dishing them out raw deals and well, good luck spending all your time hiring and firing rather than running your business. Trouble is with companies like this is that they want it their way ALL of the time. If more people stood up for themselves and simply refused to accept this BS then they’d have to change their ways or start losing customers from having driverless trucks. As usual though, very few have the backbone to stand up to them and say “no” because they don’t know where the next months mortgage payment will come from if they do.

Finally, I’m still awaiting a response from Frans on how flying drivers in and out of the country every 3 weeks is cost effective for the bottom line. He claims that the taxes in Holland are so high that they can’t afford to employ Dutch drivers, but I bet when you compare the costs there is very little in it. In fact I’d bet a small amount that it’d be more expensive to fly drivers in and out but as I know nothing about the tax system in Holland other than what Frans has said I won’t argue any further on that because I simply don’t know. Certainly I think the average person would question how it works out cheaper (allegedly) to fly drivers in and out vs. employing locally from Holland or the neighbouring continental countries. :open_mouth:

edit: typos

caledoniandream (@ Carryfast):

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone that doesn’t laugh at that has something wrong with them! :smiley:

switchlogic:
Desperately clutching at straws spring to mind. I’m not going to respond as it’s like shooting fish in a barrel.

No valid counter-argument springs to mind.

Good day to you too.

CHILLAX guys.

Rob K:

switchlogic:

Good day to you too.

Sorry I just find it so hard to defend myself against someone who makes so very many false assumptions about me and my way of working.

Have a nice afternoon.

Rob K:
Finally, I’m still awaiting a response from Frans on how flying drivers in and out of the country every 3 weeks is cost effective for the bottom line. He claims that the taxes in Holland are so high that they can’t afford to employ Dutch drivers, but I bet when you compare the costs there is very little in it. In fact I’d bet a small amount that it’d be more expensive to fly drivers in and out but as I know nothing about the tax system in Holland other than Frans has said I won’t argue any further on that because I don’t know. Certainly I think the average person would question how it works out cheaper (allegedly) to fly drivers in and out vs. exploying locally from Holland or the neighbouring continental countries. :open_mouth:

Have you looked at the Ryan Air website Rob? :laughing:

ryanair.com/en

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:
Finally, I’m still awaiting a response from Frans on how flying drivers in and out of the country every 3 weeks is cost effective for the bottom line. He claims that the taxes in Holland are so high that they can’t afford to employ Dutch drivers, but I bet when you compare the costs there is very little in it. In fact I’d bet a small amount that it’d be more expensive to fly drivers in and out but as I know nothing about the tax system in Holland other than Frans has said I won’t argue any further on that because I don’t know. Certainly I think the average person would question how it works out cheaper (allegedly) to fly drivers in and out vs. exploying locally from Holland or the neighbouring continental countries. :open_mouth:

ryanair.com/en

Book it and key in the actual weight of your luggage and keep going until you get to payment screen. Then tell me what the price is after the APD and ‘other’ add-ons. :bulb:

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

Actually, now because Ryanair don’t fly out of Weeze on saturday VdB now fly us in and out of Schipol so we get our full week at home instead of sitting in Erp all day saturday.
Another example of VdB’s respect for it’s drivers.

ryanair.com/en

switchlogic:

Rob K:

switchlogic:

Good day to you too.

Sorry I just find it so hard to defend myself against someone who makes so very many false assumptions about me and my way of working.

Have a nice afternoon.

I’m sorry you find it so hard. Perhaps you should take a look at your old posts and videos to see where these alleged false assumptions stem from.

And a nice afternoon to you too.

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

Actually, now because Ryanair don’t fly out of Weeze on saturday VdB now fly us in and out of Schipol so we get our full week at home instead of sitting in Erp all day saturday.

ryanair.com/en

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Right… So why not just fly out in and out of AMS in the first place then if it’s due to “VdB’s respect for it’s[sic] drivers.” ? :unamused: Would it perhaps be something to do with Ryanair pulling the plug on weekend flights out of Weeze therefore leaving them no other option? :bulb:

Seriously, I’ve never seen so many company ‘yes’ men in one place. Just listen to yourselves ffs. :unamused:

Rob K:

caledoniandream (@ Carryfast):

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone that doesn’t laugh at that has something wrong with them! :smiley:

If I had have been I’d have been 11 years old driving an Atki but even at that age I’d have had the sense to make sure that it was fitted with an air con plant on the roof just like those Astran Scanias and the Marathon in that documentary and to tell the guvnor to zb off if he’d have told me to turn it off by telex. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

Okey-Didley-Dokely:

Wheel Nut:

Rob K:

ryanair.com/en

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Right… So why not just fly out in and out of AMS in the first place then if it’s due to “VdB’s respect for it’s[sic] drivers.” ? :unamused: Would it perhaps be something to do with Ryanair pulling the plug on weekend flights out of Weeze therefore leaving them no other option? :bulb:

Seriously, I’ve never seen so many company ‘yes’ men in one place. Just listen to yourselves ffs. :unamused:

But you don’t seem to want to listen to the company rebels either. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

But in reality it’s a case of either being a company yes man or an owner driver and you think that they’re all a bunch of zb’s anyway whichever of the two they are so no one can zb win in your case. :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Rob K:

switchlogic:

Rob K:

switchlogic:

Good day to you too.

Have a nice afternoon.

I’m sorry you find it so hard. Perhaps you should take a look at your old posts and videos to see where these alleged false assumptions stem from.

And a nice afternoon to you too.

Right ok I’ll bite. Maybe you should read my previous posts. From some you’ll see how much I dislike Nolans and the way they do things. This is also true of several of the something like 20 companies I’ve worked for. You’ve taken my comments about Virginia and applied them to my whole life. That’s that falsehood dispelled.

My videos give next to nothing away, so if you think you know how I go about the job from them then that’s another assumption. They’re just a bit of light hearted fun.

As for your amazingly childish comments about the night heater and such that you posted in order to call me a hypocrite, well you called me a company man, how do you think I go about my job? Yes in the way the company wants me to. This involves cutting down unnecessary idling, buying fuel in approved stations etc etc. Night heaters save money, as does running the engine briefly to keep batteries topped up on a weekly rest, and the company know this. I thought you were better than that comment Rob.

The reason you won’t see any posts where I’m ranting and raving about things is that I choose not to air my laundry in public, unlike many who come on here to shout and moan then delete posts when they realise the boss is watching, or people who storm into the office mouthing off. I prefer to take any concerns I have in a calm and rational manner to the boss, and he usually listens and things get sorted.

Hope that’s cleared things up for you.

switchlogic:
Right ok I’ll bite. Maybe you should read my previous posts. From some you’ll see how much I dislike Nolans and the way they do things. This is also true of several of the something like 20 companies I’ve worked for. You’ve taken my comments about Virginia and applied them to my whole life. That’s that falsehood dispelled.

My videos give next to nothing away, so if you think you know how I go about the job from them then that’s another assumption. They’re just a bit of light hearted fun.

As for your amazingly childish comments about the night heater and such that you posted in order to call me a hypocrite, well you called me a company man, how do you think I go about my job? Yes in the way the company wants me to. This involves cutting down unnecessary idling, buying fuel in approved stations etc etc. Night heaters save money, as does running the engine briefly to keep batteries topped up on a weekly rest, and the company know this. I thought you were better than that comment Rob.

The reason you won’t see any posts where I’m ranting and raving about things is that I choose not to air my laundry in public, unlike many who come on here to shout and moan then delete posts when they realise the boss is watching, or people who storm into the office mouthing off. I prefer to take any concerns I have in a calm and rational manner to the boss, and he usually listens and things get sorted.

Hope that’s cleared things up for you.

Wait… how do you work that one out? Or are you trying to work the argument in your favour by saying that the night heater saves money vs. running the engine? If (as I suspect) that it is indeed the case then that is a very weak defence on your part considering that it was only a few posts back where you accused me :

there are too many people like you that [like] spending company money on overpriced fuel

:confused:

As I said before - hypocrite! You jump to the defence of VdB in agreeing with Frans that it’s out of order for someone to run the aircon when parked up but yet it’s perfectly okay for you to run the night heater and idling the engine to keep the batteries topped up. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot over. :open_mouth:

They (aircon & idling engine for battery top up) both use the same amount of fuel (aircon maybe a cupful more) so in the interests of saving the company money and you getting your pay rise :unamused: , if you are against running the engine for aircon then you should also not use your truck to power all your electrical gadgetry as you’ll have to run the engine to top up the batteries, thus wasting expensive fuel. :open_mouth: :bulb: How dare you! I am going to write a strongly worded letter to Virginia Transport about your wastage immediately and instruct them to put the fear of God into you.

Like I said childish and clutching at straws. As I said I do the job as the company wants. Running the engine for 10/15 minutes a day hardly compares with running the engine for hours for aircon. Same goes for a night heater.

It’s all academic anyway, I work for a good company that specs aircon pods on they’re long haul trucks.

Gotta try harder Rob, your letting yourself down.