Updating a TomTom

My TomTom One is over three years old now and while it works fine, there are obviously new roads about nowadays. TomTom want rather a lot of money for an update, around £60 iirc, is there any cheaper was to go about updating it?

gpsunderground.com bit of reading etc and maps are free ,pretty good help off mods etc.

Harry Monk:
My TomTom One is over three years old now and while it works fine, there are obviously new roads about nowadays. TomTom want rather a lot of money for an update, around £60 iirc, is there any cheaper was to go about updating it?

You can get a new prat nav for not much more than that.

I would go with Gezt. I paid for the TomTom update service a few months ago, no new map has been offered yet. Anyway with it I will get a year of free updates as new maps come out, they say every 3 months. The problem I seem to have, is they do not say whats been updated, so you could be buy updated maps of places you never go or not useful to you. I am in Poland where a lot of new roads are springing up and its painful to buy a new map and still not see a 2 year old motorway yet included, not TomToms fault entirely, as the mapping data is from another company, but lack of information to what is new makes me feel not wanting to buy mapping anymore, so I have used the site Gezt talks of for other things in the past and when my update option expires, then I will use this site.

Had a go but can’t work it out. Out if idle curiosity (because I am sure it would be illegal :wink: ), would it theoretically be possible to back up an SD card from a new TomTom onto a PC and then copy the data onto a new SD card?

Harry Monk:
Had a go but can’t work it out. Out if idle curiosity (because I am sure it would be illegal :wink: ), would it theoretically be possible to back up an SD card from a new TomTom onto a PC and then copy the data onto a new SD card?

i can post the map and navcore which is freely available on the net, i can also give you a link to the software (which is also freely available) that you need to “patch” the map/navcore to your unit. all you supply is your unit id number.join the dots and you will have a working updated tomtom truck on your go 500/520/530 etc unit. the other piece of kit you need is a tomtom unit with sd card slot and a 4 gig sd card.
all of the software stuff can be found on gpsunderground.com and to be a bit quicker/easier then pay a joining fee of around £10 AND ITS VERY QUICK BUT IF YOU DON’T HAVE A RUSH THEN NO JOINING FEE BUT SAME RESULT. Help is freely given but read the instructions and let them know what system/unit etc you have from the start.
good luck if you try it , i did and it worked for me.
as a footnote once you sort yours out you cannot just transfer onto another unit, it won’t work you do need to do the partial process again as in changing unit id.
"Out if idle curiosity (because I am sure it would be illegal :wink: ), would it theoretically be possible to back up an SD card from a new TomTom onto a PC and then copy the data onto a new SD card " by harry

“NO”

Cheers for the help, I’ve registered and am having a look about the site, I think it’s all going to be a bit more than I can manage to get my head around but I’ll keep looking!