Truck Diaries please ladies and gent?

start at 07.00 with 3 collections 2 boys and a girl and deliver them to the kitchen table.then its 3 more collections 2 of cerial one of toast .then i had a 15 for a coffee :laughing: then double back on meself up stairs with drop of coffee and toast for the boss.back empty downstairs collect 3 kids deliver them to living room in front of telly.another break till 08.40 then its a bit of distance work round to the school for another delivery once tipped there back empty to base.a couple of hotshot deliveries next nappies to bin and then washing to machine.then its sit and av a break with the dvd on (finding nemo :unamused: )till i can collect morrisons at 13.30 .that done its more hotshot deliveries around the kitchen and a drop upstairs.once that was done a break was needed so a sandwich and a cappachino then wait till 15.00 for a bit of distance again and collect this mornings delivery from school :laughing: 8 hour day ,the money is crap and it gets a bit boring doing the same run everyday but at least im home everynight :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Nice…Get any tips :stuck_out_tongue:

My day (Not including all breaks) went as follows today;

I was up at 6, and at work by 7:30. Looking forward to the day ahead in my new (55 plate but first owner after a waste company who had ordered it decided to cancel it. My boss picked up a good cheep deal with it) Actros 6x4. Got my notes ready and the GPS set up and went and hooked up to our 2001 extending 5 axle Nooteboom rear steer low loader.

Out the yard, first stop, a now flattened building just outside Coalville. Loaded with a Liebherr-Crawler excavator R954B Litronic with demolition jib (working with them all day you recognize what they are. Total weight of load was around 70 tonnes. Not wide, Just long. The 5 axle Nooteboom taking it perfectly.

Off we set. Off to Hucknall. Not far. About 30 miles. As i joined the motorway there was a loud rumble from my stomach. I had just passed Little Chef to get onto the motorway… Typical. Not to worry. About 8 miles or so down the M1 there is the J23 services. In i pulled and had a nice big fry up. As i was eating, 2 more of our wagons pulled in. One Scania and one Actros. Both had 3 axle low loaders with a Cat and JCB tracked excavators loaded on them. The drivers park up and see me. We chat for 15 minutes. They are off to Bedford from Sheffield. I buy them both a coffee (each, not shared) and say cheerio.
Get back into the unit. Off i set.

No real problem on the M1. Nice BMI baby 737 flew over as i was near J24.Came off at J26 and was in Hucknall in no time at all. The trailer following the unit perfectly. Almost driving like i was running solo. Parked up and unloaded the Liebherr. It looked like a really old mill or factory that was going to be knocked down. A real shame when you think how much history is flattened to build something like flats or something stupid in its place.

Anyway, Off i set. For Loughbrough. I parked up on the A6 just before Loughbrough and just after Hathern. There is a nice burger van in the layby. Cheap, decent food, and served with a genuine smile. A must stop if passing. After eating my burger (Was starving this morning for some reason) and drinking my coffee i was off again.

After getting through Loughbrough i got to the railway station. There was a Excavator for Leicester. So after lining up and locking the trailer steering in the straight possition (out of personal choice) i backed right through the gateway. I then parked up, got the side ramps out the gooseneck box and loaded on the excavator. Packed everything away, set trailer to ‘steer’ and headed back for the A6. Finally got to Murray Street and backed in and unloaded.

I then headed to one of our customers storeage yards in Leicester and loaded on a Volvo A30D Articulated Dumper which i took to our contractors Nuneaton storeage site. As i got near there had to have a break so stopped in a layby and had a kip for 30 min. After i woke i got to Nuneaton and emptied.

I rang the gaffer to see if there was anything else on. He checked and told me to collect a Volvo G990 Motor Grader and bring it back to depot for delivery tomorrow. I asked which one it was. It happened to be a brand new one in the yard going to its first job on thursday. Very nice it was too. Loaded up and headed back. Got back to depot at about 4:30. Merc and trailer are both spot on bits of kit.

Thanks for reading

Tom

P.S. Sorry about the spellings, Just woke up to a young baby crying (3 months old (Jack)) so before i go back bed (and to make sure he has gone sleep) i thought i would write this.

Good read Tom :smiley:

Thanks ‘Stinky’

Im off to work now. Of to Croft quarry then off down to Westbury. Going to have a modular trailer in (wheels)-Loadspace-(wheels) format (like this one) And i am going to have the chassis of a cat dump truck (and tyres stacked at front and rear. Thats why modular was chosen) and another one of ours will have the dump body. Tailers are ready loaded, just need to drive solo and hook up. Will have ■■■■■■ vans all the way. No idea what route they have planned. Keep your eyes open for a YELLOW actros pulling hard.

Anyway, must go.

By for now

Tom

Started at 07:00 today at British Bakeries in Avonmouth. I get given the keys to a 54-plate DAF already attached to an empty trailer. This was a bit of a disappointment, as I was hoping they’d give me one of the R-reg ERFs they’ve got with Eaton twin splitter gearboxes :cry:

(yes, I know I’m sad :wink: )

I stick in the tacho, do the walkround check, ask one of the other people in the yard which is the correct way out (since some things have changed since I was last there about 18 months ago), then go through the gates at about 07:20.

My run is to take my empty trailer down to Eastleigh, drop and swap, and return with a loaded one.

As I’m climbing the hill approaching the A46 exit of the M4 I overtake the first of two cranes that I’m pretty sure I saw going in the opposite direction as I was on my way into Avonmouth. I’m on the limiter, and they’re struggling up the hill at about 20-30 mph, so woosh! :laughing:

The entire route (M5-M4-A34-M3) is very quiet so there are no delays all the way to the destination. Fortunately the bakery is nice and close to the M3 exit, although it does seem to be at the end of a rather residential road, and next to a large Jewsons - I bet they love masses of HGV traffic past their front doors :wink:

Anyway, I arrive in the bakery, ask where to leave the trailer, and I approach the parking bay outside the garage; someone’s left a rigid exactly where I need to put the unit to kink the trailer to reverse into the bay :imp: but I try to work around it.

I failed. I wasn’t going to get anywhere close to the bay, so I decided to get all the way back out, reverse in and blindside it onto the bay. However, by this point, my unit was kinked left, and the right rear corner was getting too close to the rows of parked rigids and trailers for comfort, so I took quite a bit of time getting out and looking whilst I was shunting around trying to escape (I’m a bit paranoid about the situation after last weekend).

Finally I manage to get out, just as the offending rigid driver arrives and drives off :unamused: so go back and do a nice easy good-side reverse. :slight_smile:

I go to pick up my new trailer which is already loaded as promised :open_mouth: , but when I hitch up I notice that there’s at least 2 metres clearance between the cab and the front of the trailer. I decide I’ll be “proactive” and run a bit more close-coupled, so I shift the fifth wheel forward a bit, but then I realise the trailer legs look a bit close to the unit light clusters :unamused: , so I put the fifth wheel back again.

Once I’ve pulled the trailer off the loading dock I shut the door up and apply my numberplate. Back in the cab and drive off.

About 20 metres out of the bakery and a fiesta van behind me is blowing his horn. I’d been being a bit slow manoeuvring around, so I figured maybe he just wanted to get past (he had followed me out of the bakery itself), so I pulled over to let him past. He stopped and told me that the back door is open :open_mouth:

I stop and check, and sure enough, the back door has opened itself all the way to the top, as if I’d never shut it. The latch is the problem - it’s a roller shutter door, and the handle locking mechanism is really loose, and must have just bounced open on the speed bumps.

I haven’t got anything in the truck I can use to secure the door, so reverse the trailer into a side road (a bit tight, and held up lots of people, but never mind :wink: ) and went straight back to the garage where they gave me a nut and bolt to put through the padlock holes which secures the handle.

So, off I go again round the back of the bakery towards the loading bays, but this time I’ve got a trailer on, and one corner round the back is really tight - there’s a Rank Hovis tanker there on the apex of the corner doing a dump, and the trailer only just fits round with a couple of inches to spare. Whew.

Anyway, back out onto the road, and it’s another quiet run back. I stop off in Membury for my 45, and back to the Avonmouth bakery.

They’ve changed the procedure for getting onto the “goods inwards” bays since I was last there - there’s a clockwise one-way system around one of the buildings, and the “way out” road goes past the bays. You used to have to go “in” through the “way out”, and then reverse back onto the bay (the bays are angled in that direction), but now you have to go “in” at the normal “in” place (somewhere else on the one-way system), go round, and then reverse down the “way out” road and onto the bay.

I start reversing down the “way out” road, then stop just before the bays and get out to see which ones are available. Only the first two are free.

As I get back to my truck, I see another driver is starting to reverse back; whilst I’m getting ready, he starts to reverse past me :open_mouth: and as his cab draws level, I ask him if he wants to go on a bay first. It seems he didn’t realise that I was about to go on the bay myself :unamused:

Anyway, I tell him to go first, since I had real trouble last time I tried to get on a bay there (since the bays are angled, and there’s very little forward room for moving the unit as you run into the edge of the yard), and if I go first, he’s liable to be waiting for the next hour… :unamused:

I pull forward to give him room to manoeuvre, and then spend the next 10-15 minutes watching him make a complete pig’s ear of the reverse, taking about 20 shunts to finally get it on bay :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Once he was on, I somehow managed to pull off one of my best bay reverses so far, using one or two extra shunts to get it properly lined up with the dock leveller :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

I told the other guy how glad I was that he’d had problems (in the nicest possible way :wink: ) as at least it means I’m not the only one who can’t reverse for toffee.

Anyway, once I’d unloaded the contents ([zb]ing hard work…), I parked the trailer, filled up with diesel, parked up the unit, and [zb]ed off home. :wink:

350 km, 7.5 hours.

One thought - the exhaust brake on the DAF is absolutely [zb]ing useless. I might as well just stick an arm out of the window - it’d have more effect… :unamused: