Triple Manning

Is it normal… or legal even?

Had Nolan leaving a part load in the yard last week and bar the driver there was a fella in passenger seat and a 3rd fella sleeping in the bunk :open_mouth:

Either they are very freindly or all 3 were driving

sounds cosy !! :wink:

Only two of the three drivers can drive the truck , the third one just sits there:
When they where discussing this in the EU the Dutch wanted to have it passed that
3 drivers could work 24hrs and then take a 11hr rest, this however was not passsed
by the EU many years ago, What many firms are now doing is to have a Driver in a
place which it is possible to do a swap over and use the truck and the drivers hours
efficiently ;

brit pete:
Only two of the three drivers can drive the truck

I’ve never seen that in any regulation !!

I would suspect that 3 proper seats should be there for 3 people in the cab to use for safety reasons but I cannot see why 3 LGV drivers cannot do the driving between them for the same rules that govern the double-manning rules …

For the EU regulations triple manning is legal, not so sure about having a third driver on the bunk though.

‘multi-manning’ means the situation where, during each
period of driving between any two consecutive daily rest
periods, or between a daily rest period and a weekly rest
period, there are at least two drivers in the vehicle to do
the driving. For the first hour of multi-manning the
presence of another driver or drivers is optional but for
the remainder of the period it is compulsory;

whilst on my way into dover on thursday afternoon there was a polish daf exiting with a driver and a passenger (male) then sat on the hump was a female and there was another on the bottom bunk
now obviously they are taking their respective ladies on a trip to the uk maybe but if you drove in spain with more than 2 in the truck you’d get fined so how can you get out of dover with 4 in :question:

SO I guess 8 of us in a Eurostar cab from mercabarna to the Ramblas wasn’t legal then :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

billybigrig:
SO I guess 8 of us in a Eurostar cab from mercabarna to the Ramblas wasn’t legal then :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

i bet you could tell some good stories of what happened when you all got to las ramblas :laughing: :laughing: who was stuck as the dedicated driver :cry:

welshboyinspain:

billybigrig:

i bet you could tell some good stories of what happened when you all got to las ramblas :laughing: :laughing: who was stuck as the dedicated driver :cry:

Sure as hell wasn’t me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You can only take as many people as there are seats in the cab. Though having a third person on the bunk, or two of them, is not uncommon, especially on the continent and especially in the centre of it; it’s usually a hitchhiker/-s or fellow driver that needs a lift. The risk of fine is still there though.

Few years back I used to see coaches with three drivers, usually SK,CZ,PL holidaymakers going Spain. The tachos could only take two discs… so may be the drivers were putting the discs in and out each time they swapped?
Today, with digi tachos and each driver having his own card, it should not be a legal problem. But the third seat and access to bunk is a problem.

If there are only 2 seats ,then legally only 2 people can be in the truck.

The Volvo cab with the office pack has 4 seats, all with seat belts. The two normal seats and two which make up the bottom bunk.

With regard to this question remember the regulations do not talk about double, or triple manning, they call it multi-manning and three drivers could indeed each take a shot behind the wheel. They would still be limited to 21 hours duty in 30 hours though.