Trial of hgv driver blind in 1 eye who killed 2 people

Just seen this. I thought that mono vision was ok if you drove a car (as long as meet medical/optical tests), but not if you drove a hgv, I know that where I work vision has to be perfect or you’re moved to a different non-driving section

getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey- … y-10847727

It used to be as long as the left eye was blind (being that we drive on left) it was ok.
I had a guy worked for me like that. I would do a day shift and pick him up at Carlisle, he would carry on through the night with me in the bunk ( maybe not entirely legal but it was the 80s )
After about 4 or 5 hours kip I would get out of bunk and sit in passenger seat, he would drive for miles without even noticing me, and just about crap himself when he turned and saw me sat in the seat. :smiley:

I don’t think you can drive an HGV with one eye, but the article says it was a 7.5 tonner so car licence rules I guess.

Depends, if you have a licence issued under the old rules, and so long as you remain healthy…and presumably don’t surface on the radar as a menace on the road…you get your licence issued under grandfather rights if the medical board at Swansea approve it.

Bluey Circles:
I don’t think you can drive an HGV with one eye, but the article says it was a 7.5 tonner so car licence rules I guess.

Yes you can as long as you pass the certain requirements.

gov.uk/monocular-vision-and-driving

My dad had a car accident in the early 80’s and lost vision in his right eye, he had to give up his Hgv entitlement.

Shame he didn’t drive a proper truck could of had a name plate on his dash saying “Blind side” :unamused:

albion1971:

Bluey Circles:

google come up with this
transportsfriend.org/medical … #monocular
"Monocular Vision
Drivers who have monocular vision are barred in law from holding C, C1 (12 tonnes combined), D or D1 entitlements. The only exceptions are those drivers whose C or D entitlements had been issued prior to 1/1/91 in the knowledge of monocularity and were still in force on 1/4/91 or drivers who passed a C1 test prior to 1/1/97.
A minimum acuity of 6/12 is required if licensed on 1/1/1983 and 6/9 if since. A certificate of recent driving experience will also be required. DVLA will send this certificate to you for completion on receipt of a valid application. "

what,s D D1 ? is that class 3 ?

Bluey Circles:

albion1971:

Bluey Circles:

google come up with this
transportsfriend.org/medical … #monocular
"Monocular Vision
Drivers who have monocular vision are barred in law from holding C, C1 (12 tonnes combined), D or D1 entitlements. The only exceptions are those drivers whose C or D entitlements had been issued prior to 1/1/91 in the knowledge of monocularity and were still in force on 1/4/91 or drivers who passed a C1 test prior to 1/1/97.
A minimum acuity of 6/12 is required if licensed on 1/1/1983 and 6/9 if since. A certificate of recent driving experience will also be required. DVLA will send this certificate to you for completion on receipt of a valid application. "

what,s D D1 ? is that class 3 ?

Yep…D is coach or bus D1 is mini bus.

What about Pirates.
I’ve never seen a risk assessment involving 1 Eyed Pirates, there must have been hundreds that drove the Galleons in the olden days.
(Bet they didn’t even have a licence)

martinviking:
What about Pirates.
I’ve never seen a risk assessment involving 1 Eyed Pirates, there must have been hundreds that drove the Galleons in the olden days.
(Bet they didn’t even have a licence)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Post of the evening! :smiley:

Even if the topic is a tragedy and sad news for all involved…

Christ Martin.

I was really enjoying that cup of tea. (Which is all over my lap now).

[zb]ing pirate’s. PMSL.

No need to take the ■■■■ out of pirates !! During the early 80’s I worked for the man who was known as the North Sea Pirate, and a better boss you could not wish to have.

AAARRRrrrrrrrrrr :neutral_face:

Says he held a valid licence but was driving dangerously that morning - more to this than meets the eye [emoji12]

Met a fella last year who was blind in one eye and on artics.
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Just needs you to get something in your eye, hayfever or what ever and you’re effectively driving completely blind

ajt:
Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Just needs you to get something in your eye, hayfever or what ever and you’re effectively driving completely blind

Sneeze at 56mph and you can cover a lot of ground whilst both of your eyes are closed!

I had a smashed toughened glass windscreen with glass getting in one eye (right) and ended up with a patch for about a week. Sense of responsibility told me not to drive. Sooner that than kill some poor sod.

ajt:

Most probably does better than some of the mupppets out there that are driving artics with 2 eyes.