Travel allowance

Is there a pence per mile formula for this ,is it tax free ,does it come under expenses etc :question: ta .
I’m asking from a company employee perspective ,not agency

Not heard of anyone claiming travel expenses whilst employed by a company, obviously different if self employed.

I get 45p a mile when using my own car on company business. Tax free.

Contraflow:
I get 45p a mile when using my own car on company business. Tax free.

But that would be during your working day I’m assuming not to and from work.

You won’t get it for commuting to and from your normal place of work if you are a full time employee though.

steelgoon:
You won’t get it for commuting to and from your normal place of work if you are a full time employee though.

• 1 , you cannot claim for travel expenses to and from your NORMAL place of work. I highlight normal as that’s what it says, if you have to travel to a yard that is not your normal place of work and you incur extra costs then the extra amount can be claimed…

dozy:
Is there a pence per mile formula for this ,is it tax free ,does it come under expenses etc :question: ta .
I’m asking from a company employee perspective ,not agency

45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. If the employer doesn’t pay it you claim via a P87 Expenses in Employment at the end of the tax year however you wouldn’t get the full amount back, just the tax relief so 20% of what you claim.

Can’t claim for commuting.

IMPORTANT POINT TO NOTE: If your employer does not provide insurance to cover your car whilst doing business travel, i.e mileage you claim for, or you’re temporarily commuting to a different place of work you will need to have business use on your policy. As long as you’re not doing it to make money, most insurance companies will add it for free or very little.

Connor is right, but an employer does not have to pay 45p a mile The current rate for employers 2014 to 2015. An employer can pay as little as you will stand for, or as much as he likes, although anything over the agreed limit is liable to be taxed and you can claim tax relief on anything less.

gov.uk/rates-and-thresholds … 14-to-2015