Transport manager

is there a regulation stating the distance (or time) separating an external transport manager from the operating centre?

Has an O-licence application been thwarted by this issue?

In our WiFi world is proximity necessary?

They are expected to spend a reasonable amount of time required to effectively oversee the operations of the company. That means it’ll vary as it’ll mean very little for a small company, much more for a larger one. You can’t do it by email and Skype, you need to be there checking things like documentation for compliance for servicing etc.

O licence applications and current in force O licences have been damaged to the point of revocation by people using the services of CPC for hire TMs, the traffic commissioners often ruling that they wouldn’t be able to effectively oversee or that they were ineffective at that particular operator.

We could have a permanent on-site TM who does very little as well as one who traveled longer distances, visits the appropriate times and has s grip on compliance. Which would you prefer?
Just a thought - at least an external TM can be focused on what’s required. Some employees who are multi told as TM, Ops manager, finance, sales and other combos become distracted to the money making or smooth flow roles and distracted from being a good TM.
I’d bet far more permanent TMs have been called to a PI than the very occasional external one. It’s really a combo of picking a good TM and application to the role. Distance has little to do with it.

I believe that the licence people have a “rule of thumb” regarding how many hrs the TM should spend doing his work … depending on the No of trucks he is responsible for.
I think that they DO allow some stuff to be done “on-line” … checking tacho down-loads / maint. logs … BUT …I think they would expect the TM to visit on-site on a regular basis.
I am sure there must be some-one on here who does actually work / uses as an external TM :question:

As Conor mentioned above, an external Transport Manager is now expected to prove “meaningful contact” with the client of between 2-30 hours per week, and the client can only have between 1-29 vehicles. So, if the TC considers the distance to be too great, they will refuse the application.
I had to explain at a public enquiry how I could provide suitable cover for a company five miles from home a couple of years ago.

I am an external TM, and on my application to the TO, I stated that up to 8 hours per week, is what I will devote to the company. (3 trucks.) Taking into consideration that I also drive for a living, (Finished my primary shift by 11am on a Friday, after a 05.30am start) I can quite comfortably complete my duties to both comapnies within the WTD, and drivers hours regs.

All done and above board.

Ken.

When I put in my O licence application, the Traffic Commissioner wanted to know how I could find the time to be my own Transport Manager if I was driving a truck. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is possible to have an external TM who is a fair distance from the operating centre, just in the applications they need to explain how they are going to oversee the company complies with the terms of thier O’licence, you will still need site visits though, but so much can be done electronically,
I think most of my system is now paperless, O’licence is administered online, inspection sheets get emailed from the dealers workshop, my maintenance calendar is on outlook and several people in the company have read only access to it, so they can see what vehicles are due in without being in the office or even in the building, defects reports can be done on a mobile and automatically emailed to me, tachographs are analysed by an outside agent and reports emailed to me, although I still print off infringements reports to be signed by the driver, mostly me it seems :blush: but then I do most of the driving. :smiley:

muckles:
It is possible to have an external TM who is a fair distance from the operating centre, just in the applications they need to explain how they are going to oversee the company complies with the terms of thier O’licence, you will still need site visits though, but so much can be done electronically,
I think most of my system is now paperless, O’licence is administered online, inspection sheets get emailed from the dealers workshop, my maintenance calendar is on outlook and several people in the company have read only access to it, so they can see what vehicles are due in without being in the office or even in the building, defects reports can be done on a mobile and automatically emailed to me, tachographs are analysed by an outside agent and reports emailed to me, although I still print off infringements reports to be signed by the driver, mostly me it seems :blush: but then I do most of the driving. :smiley:

How much time each month do you allot to talking to yourself, telling yourself off for your sins? Or do you email yourself to prove you’re taking yourself seriously?
[emoji5]

Edit typo

Franglais:

muckles:

How much time each month do you allot to talking to yourself, telling yourself off for your sins? Or do you email yourself to prove you’re taking yourself seriously?
[emoji5]

Edit typo

I have a proper infringement letter to sign and I give myself a stern talking too. :laughing:

muckles:

Franglais:

muckles:

[emoji5]

Edit typo

I have a proper infringement letter to sign and I give myself a stern talking too. :laughing:

Of course you must. Nowt new under the sun.
youtube.com/watch?v=8ZZRAU3DeOo