Trailer Swing

I need a change of underwear.

Comming off a slightly damp (not wet mind you, just damp) A511/A50 Roundabout at Coalville this afternoon with the traction control on, just got to the point where you gently put the power on and noticed the back end of my trailer start to swing in towoard the drivers side in my mirror :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . I wasnā€™t going too quick anyway (less than 18mph from what I can make out) as I ā€œdrive like Daisyā€ I took my foot off the accelarator and steered in towoard the mirror the trailer was swinging into (it felt the right thing to do is all I can say - weather it did any good, I donā€™t know). It didnā€™t do me a lot of good and the bloke on the outside of me in a transit didnā€™t look to chuffed either as I ended up at a slightly jaunty angle on the roundabout :open_mouth: . I stopped in the next avalible labye to compose myself before heading home.

Didnā€™t half put the thruppney bits up me, I can tell you :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . Could have been a lot worse than it was and a valuable lesson learnt. These things can happen, even at the slowest speeds.

yes they do happen at the lowest of speeds and there ainā€™t alot that you can do about it,apart from calling on your experiance of driving articā€™s over the years.you just pray that no-one getā€™s injured during these mishaps. :wink:

Were you only half loaded?

I would say you had too much on the rear end of the trailer for it to do that :open_mouth:

Nope, empty on my way back to the yard.

Possible brake lock on the trailer?

The merest weight transfer forward can lighten the rear just enough to reduce traction and initiate a slide.

And as most of us know, when it happens, it just happensā€¦

Something that has always escaped me is this: When driving a car or ā€˜rigidā€™ for that matter, the conventional method of escaping a ā€˜skidā€™ is to steer into the direction that the reer of the vehicle is travelling. (Its very rare to have the space and time available to ā€˜powerā€™ out) So, surely, if you were to steer into the skid in an artic you would be compounding the break and creating a ā€˜jack-knifeā€™?

Therefore, ā€˜what is a generally accepted method of getting out of a skid in an articā€™?

Something else to consider for any ā€˜newā€™ professionals is this: A vehicle is at its most stable when travelling in a straight line at a constant speed. Any deviation from this, braking, steering etc. sets up gravitational forces that affect its stability immensely. If you can, always brake in a straight line, early enough to avoid creating ā€˜loss of controlā€™ situations.

Terry

We have the same problem with Mercedes 2543 Axors. The tractor units have a tendancy to ā€œaqua-planeā€ when negotiating junctions on wet roads - they can be extremely vicious for the unwary! As the unit slides sideways, it can give the impression that the trailer is jack-knifing! Caught me out a few times when Iā€™ve been chasing my tail!!!

brummie:
We have the same problem with Mercedes 2543 Axors. The tractor units have a tendancy to ā€œaqua-planeā€ when negotiating junctions on wet roads - they can be extremely vicious for the unwary! As the unit slides sideways, it can give the impression that the trailer is jack-knifing! Caught me out a few times when Iā€™ve been chasing my tail!!!

That sounds about right Brummie. You could well have hit the nail right on the head, the unit was a Scania 380l T reg but it sounds about riight for what happened.

so is there a way to avoid this at all?? i did notice that a couple of weeks ago while in daventry especially near roundabouts i was going dead slow up to them but the slightest pressure on the brakes the tractor unit felt like i was losing control of it and i did notice that on some occassions my trailor seemed to be swinging out a bitā€¦is this a common problem or is it just a newbie not driving rightā€¦it happened both loaded and unloaded :confused: :confused:

Despite the fact that it bends, the same principle applies in that you should still steer into the skid. It wonā€™t exacerbate the problem doing so. If you steered away from the skid then that would most likely cause you to jack.

Iā€™ve had it happen a few times when negotiating tight turns and roundabouts where the trailer wants to lead the way and Iā€™ve never had a problem correcting it. Just ease off the gas very very gently and it will correct itself if itā€™s in its early stages. NEVER BRAKE :exclamation: and never lift off the gas pedal harshly as that could have the trailer coming round even worse as the weight balance transfers to the front corner of the trailer which is already pushing sideways. Those of you that drive anything with liquid in will know what I mean.

If the trailer is well on its way to coming round then steer into it as much as you can and if possible, accelerate too to help pull the unit straight.

Golden rules are never to brake when skidding, never brake when cornering or turning especially in the wet and if a corner or turn is actually tighter than you prepared for, brake whilst youā€™re still going straight, not as you make the turn. :bulb:

nods Accelerating out of it would pull the trailer straight

Ok all, thanks for the advice, especially ROB, Iā€™ll know what to do if I get it again. You ought to see me pottering around at the munite though :sunglasses: :wink: .

Liberace:
Ok all, thanks for the advice, especially ROB, Iā€™ll know what to do if I get it again. You ought to see me pottering around at the munite though :sunglasses: :wink: .

Think you mentioned you were driving an Axor somewhere; these are actually a very good unit to experiment with :smiley:. I find them predictable in that I know they will slide on a wet roundabout for example. If youā€™ve got a good sense of judgement of where they bite you can power slide them all the way round a roundabout :grimacing: . I speak from experience as it was very early one morning and I toeā€™d it at about 20 degrees slide round the big wide roundabout of the M54 with the A449 - great fun :slight_smile:. Just make sure youā€™re counter-steering like hell, keep the gas steady and be ready for it snapping back at you the other way if/when it suddenly finds some grip :confused:.

Rob!!

Insane or what? Highly unprofessional :laughing:

Teaching the newbies party tricks!!

Great fun though :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Terry

Er, no Rob, itā€™s a Scannie (aside from today when theyā€™ve got no work for me and Iā€™m sat at home paid 8 hours :open_mouth: :sunglasses: :laughing: ). Personally it put the wind up me enough not to invite it do do that again :laughing: :open_mouth: .

I suppose I still am a newbie Piggy :laughing: :wink: .

Apologies Libā€™

No dis-respect intended, we are all newbies when things like this happen to us for the first timeā€¦

Keep them wheels turning broā€™

Terry

None taken Piggy, I still constantly feel like a newbie - even though Iā€™m not far away from the two year thing and am still asking questions but I guess your allways learning in this game anyways. I think the day I wonā€™t ask a stupid question is the day I give up driving :open_mouth: :unamused: :wink: .