TomTom

I’m thinking of buying satnav as an aid to geting about, I’m doing locals in south west Wales. Some of the addresses are shocking, house name place name and nearest town (nowhere near) and a postcode. What I’m looking for is a basic system which will give me advice when I get to the area,I.E. I don’t want europe, If I’ve gone across the water I’ve gone too far! Everyone and his dog is saying tom tom. But which one?

TomTom & Navaman seem to be the 2 top one’s out there & there are loads of POI’s for the both of them, I have a Navman ICN520, just input the postcode & street name & it will get you there. you can also just put in the area or village & tell it to take you to the centre…i use mine for when i get into the town or city iam not very familiar with or you can just turn it on & it will show you the map of the area your in & the road/ area your traveling in.
Just monitor the roads it tries to send you down & remember it is a good aid.

tomtom one v2 uk edition avalable from tesco and other stores also have a look at the mioc210 is a very under rated machine

I’m thinking tomtom, but anybody got any comments on the mio c210? as it’s £50 quid cheaper. I’d rather spend 50 more than waste 150 if you know what I mean, but I’d rather save 50 if it does the same thing!

i’ve got a tomtom 510 and thats what i would recommend.

I briefly used a Navman about a week prior to making my decision and found the screen to be very jerky.

Don’t know much about the mio.

My 510 seamed to be pretty much middle range, had more features than the bog standard 310, and the only real difference between it and the 710 and 910 was memory and the maps you get.

I also very recently got a phone upgrade and so i can use my satnav as a handfree kit [via the wonders of bluetooth], along with being able to read and write texts from the sat nav as well as accessing my phones phonebook.

I find my tomtom useful with route planning as a enter a limited speed of 50 and it gives me quite a realistic ETA, which allows me to plan breaks. The tomtom also has a feature where you can get traffic and weather info - i haven’t used this yet as it is a subscription service and besides as a hourly paid agency driver i’d rather sit in traffic and get more overtime.

Prob the best way to make your decision is to go on the comet [or maybe currys] website where you can select the models and compare features.

If you got any specific questions about mine [ the 510 ] ask and i’ll try and answer.

i was right it is the comet website, you can compare four items.

heres the link

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/647.html

Oh dear. I predict more “truck stuck down farm track/under low bridge” stories in the near future. :frowning:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Agency driver but I don’t do multi-drop, I don’t do distance, I don’t do hand-ball, I don’t do nights out and I don’t drive ■■■■.
for somebody that (quotes and that many posts for me do you ever work ) know where to find places its easy to go to NDC,S everybody and their dog knows where they are ,But on multi drop /colection Satnav will put you in the right location then look at the atlas for bridges ect .

Was waiting for Rob K’s responce, did’nt anyone ever get into trouble before sat nav? Robertthegreat that’s exactly what I want it for, having to stop in a village to ask directions to a house name is starting to annoy me now. But if I’ve got the postcode at least I can get to right street first. I’d be greatfull for any more advice, I’m going to look/buy at the weekend, Thanks.

ive used tomtom on a mobile and through an ipaq. best software ive ever used. if you want a cheap system go for the tomtom one. no bells or whistles, locks on real quick. ■■■■ easy to use. i dont even carry a map book now.

to get an idea of the mio c210 its a nice piece of kit we haven’t reveiwed one yet but if you click the link in my signiture and erch for iGO review it give you and idea of how the mio will perform. the user interfance on the mio is different from pda version and the pda doesn’t have poi warning at the moment but the mio units do have this I think your nav did a review on the 210 aswell also there are a few users on the site that have this unit so might be worth askibg a questionor 2

rich1984:
I’m thinking tomtom, but anybody got any comments on the mio c210? as it’s £50 quid cheaper. I’d rather spend 50 more than waste 150 if you know what I mean, but I’d rather save 50 if it does the same thing!

And if the price was as near as dammit the same■■? Have a look at this

invincible guy:
And if the price was as near as dammit the same■■? Have a look at this

The first line in their ad explains why so many people get into trouble while using a SatNav.

Just plug in and start using.

:unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: