Tobacco-allowance back to the UK

Harry Monk:
Yes, the booze cruise days are over, Adinkerke is like a ghost town now, tumbleweed blowing down the streets, deserted shops with creaking doors hanging on one hinge, giant cobwebs etc…

The only place that does any trade is the first one, “Stop and Shop”, and tobacco is a third of the price in Belgium compared to the UK, tobacco is what UKBA are focussing on nowadays.

Saw an Irishman in there last week buying £960 worth of baccy which he took back to his truck in three carrier bags. I doubt he will get away with that for long.

Often wondered how all those shops made a living, even in the “heyday” of 10 years or so ago ?
Used to use the one at Alveringhem(spolling) meself, not so many bloody day trippers !! :smiley:

Suedehead:

Harry Monk:
Yes, the booze cruise days are over, Adinkerke is like a ghost town now, tumbleweed blowing down the streets, deserted shops with creaking doors hanging on one hinge, giant cobwebs etc…

The only place that does any trade is the first one, “Stop and Shop”, and tobacco is a third of the price in Belgium compared to the UK, tobacco is what UKBA are focussing on nowadays.

Saw an Irishman in there last week buying £960 worth of baccy which he took back to his truck in three carrier bags. I doubt he will get away with that for long.

Often wondered how all those shops made a living, even in the “heyday” of 10 years or so ago ?
Used to use the one at Alveringhem(spolling) meself, not so many bloody day trippers !! :smiley:

ahh yes the one on the N8, had a bar/club next door, i used to use that myself, unless it was shut, also less chance of the Douane targeting you for a roadside check if en -route to calais or anywhere along the A16

Wheel Nut:
It is funny really as I remember the days we were exporting tobacco to Germany. We could buy 1000 /2000 Marlboro or Camel on the ferry and sell them in Germany for Deutschmark with a better exchange rate for us

And then buy packets of cigarettes from German vending machines with three five pence pieces. :wink:

The drop in allowance just goes to emphasise the ‘couldn’t give a ■■■■ about the working man’ attitude of government, as long as they get their tax money they couldn’t give a flying ■■■■ about the economy :open_mouth: :unamused:

tommy t:

Suedehead:

Harry Monk:

ahh yes the one on the N8, had a bar/club next door, i used to use that myself, unless it was shut, also less chance of the Douane targeting you for a roadside check if en -route to calais or anywhere along the A16

Thats the place,iirc it only shut from 10 oclock Sat night til 10 oclock Sun night but you could still get baccy in the bar :slight_smile: