This is a Puzzle

We were telephoning the DSA about a query re Cat c1 (7.5 ton)
We where told that anybody passing their test after 1997 does not get it automatically (As we all already know) and has to take a test and medical etc and then on passing gets Cat C provisional on their licence.
All clear so far - which, as I said we all know.
However what I did nnot know is that those who passed prior to 97 and the licence changes and already have Cat C1 on their licence cannot - according to the guy at the DSA - for hire and reward. They can only drive their own vehicles and anybody driving 7.5 tonners for a living on the old licence is actually breaking the law.
I did not know that and wonder how many others knew that.
I also wonder how they go about dealing with persons who where driving 7.5 for a living before the licence changes where brought in.
A bit of a puzzle I thought.

dieseldave and me think the DSA person misheard or mistook C1 for D1

If it’s correct that you can’t drive C1(gained through grandfather rights) for hire or reward, there’ll be a code 101 on the license.

That one need a deffinative answer. We have four lads on puddle jumpers all been driving such toys prior to the 97 changes. Never ever heard that one even as a drivers myth! So do hope the DSA were confused!
It wouldnt be the first time!

Imp:
That one need a deffinative answer. We have four lads on puddle jumpers all been driving such toys prior to the 97 changes. Never ever heard that one even as a drivers myth! So do hope the DSA were confused!

Simple enough to check, as I said above there’ll be a code 101 at the side of cat C1on the license, no code 101= no restriction on hire or reward.

Looks like you’re in a good position to let us all know about this :wink:

Obviously if a higher cat than C1 is held the code 101 for cat C1 wouldn’t be on the license anyway.

Mothertrucker:
However what I did nnot know is that those who passed prior to 97 and the licence changes and already have Cat C1 on their licence cannot - according to the guy at the DSA - for hire and reward. They can only drive their own vehicles and anybody driving 7.5 tonners for a living on the old licence is actually breaking the law.

Absolute rubbish.

Perhaps the bloke did get his D’s and C’s confused.

How its written in a DVLA licencing leaflet I have in front of me,

“If you passed your category B or B automatic test before 1 Jan 1997 your licence will already show C1, C1E(8.25 tonner), D1, D1E (not for hire or reward) as entitlement flowing from category B.”

To me interprited as you can drive a 7.5 tonner no problem but minibus then only without taking payments etc

I’ve got C1 and C1E etc with a pre 97 test pass and only the D1 and D1E have a 101 code alongside them.

So do hope the DSA were confused!

This is so true.

It sure made me wonder a bit but there was no confusion with Cat C1 and Cat D as the original query we had phoned about was Cat C1 and that was the only subject.
Perhaps (hopefully) we got the one that did not know what he was talking about.
Thought it was worth a mention though - although it sure sounded a bit odd to me.

Imp:
Perhaps the bloke did get his D’s and C’s confused.

How its written in a DVLA licencing leaflet I have in front of me,

“If you passed your category B or B automatic test before 1 Jan 1997 your licence will already show C1, C1E(8.25 tonner), D1, D1E (not for hire or reward) as entitlement flowing from category B.”

To me interprited as you can drive a 7.5 tonner no problem but minibus then only without taking payments etc

Hi Imp, that sounds right to me too.:grimacing:

I have a pre '97 car licence and even though I also have a full C+E, it made no difference to the D1 ‘not for hire or reward’ restriction that remains on my licence to this day.

dieseldave:
I have a pre '97 car licence and even though I also have a full C+E, it made no difference to the D1 ‘not for hire or reward’ restriction that remains on my licence to this day.

I agree that it sounds like the DSA person made a mistake and confused C1 with D1.

I have a pre-97 car license, and I’ve never had the 101 restriction on the C1 category. (it’s also not on my D1 either, but that’s because I’ve taken a minibus test.)

dieseldave:

I agree that it seems unlikely that the code 101 restriction would come into play, but it wouldn’t be on your license anyway, as you know D1 is a minibus, totally different to C+E or C1 which are both usually goods vehicles.

You got me curious and I checked my licence and I have 101 on my D1 E :open_mouth:
I have a full D licence and a Cat C+E so whats that about. :open_mouth:
Also got 119 there too but cant remember what that is.
Whatever it is I dont want it :exclamation:

Mothertrucker:
You got me curious and I checked my licence and I have 101 on my D1 E :open_mouth:
I have a full D licence and a Cat C+E so whats that about. :open_mouth:

Your C1E is probably still restricted to 8250kgs (code 107) but the CE overrides it in the same way the D overrides the restricted D1E.

Code 119 - weight limit does not apply (whatever that refers to :laughing: )

Nope - not got 107 on anything
Just this 101 on the D1E
There is no restrictions on the D+E though
I know what you mean about overriding the lower catagories but it just did not make sense to me.

Glad I checked my licence though - realised its up for renewal in August :open_mouth:
Panic email to Cotswold Medicals already sent :exclamation:
(I thought they sent out a reminder for renewals - or am I wrong - again?)

Just checked my licence mothertrucker. I have all the categories that you have.Have got 101 and 119 next to D1E. But also 107 next to C1E.

Mothertrucker:

:laughing: :laughing: Of course you want it, 119 means that you MUST wear a pink hi-viz. :wink: :grimacing: