Things picking up

Is things starting to pick up work wise, I work for agencies because I like the freedom to pick my times and places for work but this week I have been offered 3 full time jobs one yesterday after my first day working for the company.

Maybe. Problem is that the ‘recovery’ is credit and ‘house price’ driven and therefore not really on the up imho. Beware false promises that could lead to job offers turning into short term ‘getting over the busy period’ then being shown the door when times are hard again. Do whats best for you!

I think things will be alright for a couple of years anyway. Prepped for the next downer though! No big ticket items.

Speaking generically, not just haulage, there is no doubt that things have certainly picked up a little out there. Not to the point of getting two million back in work, but there are more jobs coming onstream, albeit painfully slowly. The economic downturn hasn’t disappeared though, so it still going to be peaks and troughs for quite a while yet.

Like most people I would like to see a thriving economy again, where people can have some sort of stability, but how far in the future that may be yet, is literally anyone’s guess. :neutral_face:

I don’t want to pee on anyones fireworks but in my opinion there’s a £375 billion bubble that hasn’t burst yet.

DrivingMissDaisy:
I don’t want to pee on anyones fireworks but in my opinion there’s a £375 billion bubble that hasn’t burst yet.

Well yes, maybe Dave and Nick can kick the can down the road for one last year until the General Election but boy oh boy after that the ■■■ is going to hit the fan big time!

DrivingMissDaisy:

head, nail, on.

UK is more indebted as a % of GDP than the Weimar republic was.

Work wise I’ve got more work than I really want but not going to to turn it down while its available, pretty much full-time since Oct except for a couple of weeks when I was trying to get over a really nasty virus, fully booked next week as well. It seems at the moment that if I’m available, I’m working. Company I’m usually in at have just taken on two new drivers and the agency has put a new lad in as well.

DrivingMissDaisy:

Think the bubble is considerably larger than that. They have been printing money like theres no tomorrow for five years now (quantitative easing) and it will need to be repaid before an even keel is seen.

We’re doomed!!

There’s jobs on offer alright - I’m not prepared to take the pay cut to take them though!

…I’d have my old job back though, because pay & conditions seem to have improved greatly since I left. :frowning: