Theory test

Hi
Well the subject is my next step. I have been looking at various websites and the theory test is thrown in with various packages (theory/rigid/driving test and such like) I was wondering if anyone has actually done what i am thinking of doing… buy the books/dvd and book the test myself all in all saving something like 60-70 pounds…any newbies tried that?

Hi there

I got the Theory test book for HGVs and the Hazard Perception CD of Ebay it saved a bit on the costs.

hi welcome to the mad house

be careful in that if you have an apple mac pc the cd rom dosent work :cry:

you could also buy the truckers hand book at £12.99 from waterstones or borders

buy the book as you can read it at your lesuire and look round in your area for a trainning co that has a good rep

I’ve bought both the theory test book and the hazard perception DVD.

Both a complete total and utter rip off - just like the test itself - but the powers that be do insist on getting their full pound of flesh. :imp:

Book does have some useful tips under the correct answers - but nothing like 15 bleeding quid’s worth! :smiling_imp:

DVD only made bearable by the presence of Suzi Perry.

PS - I’ve got mine on Thursday. I’ll keep you posted…

Christian:
Hi
Well the subject is my next step. I have been looking at various websites and the theory test is thrown in with various packages (theory/rigid/driving test and such like) I was wondering if anyone has actually done what i am thinking of doing… buy the books/dvd and book the test myself all in all saving something like 60-70 pounds…any newbies tried that?

I did exactly that. Booked the test online, bought the hazard perception dvd & books, studied them for a few weeks then took theory test. Got 59 out 60 for multiple choice, 67 out of 75 for hazard perception.
Then sold books & dvd on ebay, so cost very little really. No need to pay over inflated prices to a training firm.

Hi,
I bought the theory test book +dsa guide to driving large vehicles(great for newbies like me!) book from amazon for £20 also got the hazard dvd off ebay for a fiver, took my theory test last wednesday, after a fortnights home study, without any probs (60/60 theory 63/75 hazard perc…). You’ll find most of the theory is just common sense anyway, with just certain sections relevant to totally LGV issues, save yourself some cash and DIY shop around a bit especially online.:smiley: :smiley:

Good luck with the test :smiley: :smiley:

I bought the dsa book and cd rom off ebay,booked the test and passed and then put the book and cd rom back on ebay and sold them for a fiver more than I paid - kerching !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for that, i’m doing that part right, will post later to ask your advice on what stage to take next…lol watch this space!

Christian:
Thanks for that, i’m doing that part right, will post later to ask your advice on what stage to take next…lol watch this space!

Hi Christian, I’ll offer you a few tips:

Others have said what a waste of time the theory test is, and I agree to some extent.
However, like they say, that’s what we have to put up with.

I’d suggest that you study the book and watch the DVD, there’s plenty of info and tips in them.
Please make sure you’re using the current version :wink:

There isn’t really a short-cut to this, but I think it’s best to learn all of the questions, because you won’t know which ones they’ll select to throw at you on test day. If you use the practice sessions and mock tests, you’ll be able to self-teach.

Try to find out where the test centre is, once you’ve made the appointment, because I know of many people who have failed due to late arrival. Couldn’t find a ■■■■■■■■■■■■, didn’t know the bus routes, got stuck in traffic etc, etc.
That might save you arriving in a flustered condition :exclamation:

The best tip is not to book until you’re regularly scoring above a pass mark in both the multi-choice AND hazard perception mocks.
Good luck with the studying, if you get stuck or you’re unsure–just ask :wink:…It’s your cash after all… :wink: GOOD LUCK.
I hope this helps.

Had my final “dress rehearsal” for the hazard perception tonight - have only tried the tests on the DVD 4 times in the last couple of months so as not to become too familiar with them. But have been watching the rest of it most days.

Scored 46 out of 55 (think that might just be good enough for a pass).

In terms of difficulty are the test clips easier, just the same or harder than the ones you get on the DVD? Noticed that some of the clicks didn’t respond very quickly.

Theory test questions no problem - have at least looked at one chapter each day.