The 15 min rule for vehicle checks

PaulNowak:
My card goes in last thing before I engage gear. The end.

Same here ! Some of this stuff they are looking for is beyond a joke! Rules made by those who never sat behind a wheel

In answer to the OP I would be in agreement in everthing the VOSA bod said to your mate. Our firm work to the letter of the FTA code of practice 2002. We seen VOSA clampdown coming years ago and adapted our working practices to suit.

If anybody seen any of my previous post on load security you see what I mean.
If you ask me do I think it’s OTT! Then that’s another topic.

Example post from a while ago.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90308

dieselhead.ie:

PaulNowak:
My card goes in last thing before I engage gear. The end.

Same here ! Some of this stuff they are looking for is beyond a joke! Rules made by those who never sat behind a wheel

All takes the ■■■■.

Do so much before you set off, or we’ll have you.

Don’t go over or we’ll have you.

Do this, do that, or the other, or we’ll have you.

We’re trying to do the job, not highwaymen,

Go bang some tickets on Waberers for parking on the motorway, (our motorway, that we fund)

WTD, joke! All the lads at our place are being knackered by it. Oh no, less than an hour from base, but the WTD says I need a 30 break. So I’ll pull up and take it, oh look, now I can’t get back in 15 hours. And I have a day cab. Answers on a Merry Christmas VOSA postcard.

stagedriver:
An experienced driver could do their walk round in around 2 - 3 minutes.

Fire up the cab, dip oil, start engine, suspension up, all lights on, horn, walk round vehicle blah blah…Doesn’t take long does it

Takes longer than that if you do it properly and check load security.

PaulNowak:
WTD, joke! All the lads at our place are being knackered by it. Oh no, less than an hour from base, but the WTD says I need a 30 break. So I’ll pull up and take it, oh look, now I can’t get back in 15 hours. And I have a day cab. Answers on a Merry Christmas VOSA postcard.

Then you and they are dumbasses. It isn’t hard to work the WTD breaks with your tacho ones so you don’t have to do that.

PaulNowak:

Not knocking you at all Paul,but why are you being put under such constraints?

Reading your above post, tells me the introduction of regularly roadside checks, may! Effect how that company operates its business.

Lads aren’t being knackered by it!
They are being protected from being exploited.

Really!

LOL, VOSA and WTD rules.

The number of drivers who are scared by rumours is getting pretty funny. Don’t worry about it until YOU are pulled and they try to do you for something. Try arguing and watch vosa start backtracking like the knob who tried to tell me I hadn’t shown any poa on my tacho…the rest is a good story.

tachos ■■? vosa ■■? wtd ■■? whats all this bull**** ■■?

SteveBarnsleytrucker:
He also said that they were in the process of informing transport company’s about fitting something along the lines of strapping point eyes(or something) so drivers haven’t got to use the hooks or the underside of the trailer when they can’t get the ratchet strap hooked under the trailer chassis(don’t know how this would work)

Sounds like the load was restrained with internal straps with the hooks under the siderave. ie using where the curtain straps fasten as a restrain point is gonna become a no no.
Fixed lashing points is what VOSA are gonna be looking for.
That is something like D loops which are placed at frequent intervals along the trailer bed.

Your mate should be drug tested, There is not an ounce of truth in anything he has told you.
I doubt he even got pulled.

could you video your next giraffe move please

youtu.be/m4lulo5l0DA

PaulNowak:
WTD, joke!

chester:

^^^^ +1.
Without constraints of Drivers’ Hours Rules & WTD SOME bosses would want us to drive indefinitely i.e. longer days, no days off, precious few holidays. Generally these rules are in place to protect drivers from exploitation and ‘living at work’ and/or behind the wheel.

Work less hours…sounds good to me - I’m all for it!!!

Daz1970:

PaulNowak:
WTD, joke!

chester:

^^^^ +1.
Without constraints of Drivers’ Hours Rules & WTD SOME bosses would want us to drive indefinitely i.e. longer days, no days off, precious few holidays. Generally these rules are in place to protect drivers from exploitation and ‘living at work’ and/or behind the wheel.

Work less hours…sounds good to me - I’m all for it!!!

I was listening to the radio last night , a taxi driver had phoned in for a request about 4am, ( no, it wasn’t that Faron Young song )
he told the DJ he was halfway through a 16 hour shift…
do taxi drivers not get tired ■■?
are there no regulations covering their driving/working hours ■■?
there should be.

Trukkertone:
I was listening to the radio last night , a taxi driver had phoned in for a request about 4am, ( no, it wasn’t that Faron Young song )
he told the DJ he was halfway through a 16 hour shift…
do taxi drivers not get tired ■■?
are there no regulations covering their driving/working hours ■■?
there should be.

Whenever I’m tempted to bemoan my lot as a truck driver, I have only to think that I could be driving a taxi for a living and all seems bright again. At least a complete stranger isn’t going to be sick in my cab half way through my shift.

Peter Smythe:

could you video your next giraffe move please

youtu.be/m4lulo5l0DA

And they even took the giraffe through a drive through at the trees :laughing: brilliant :laughing: :laughing:

limeyphil:
Your mate should be drug tested, There is not an ounce of truth in anything he has told you.
I doubt he even got pulled.

That’s why someone else on this thread has said that VOSA was on the bypass in Welshpool yesterday afternoon yeah he was on drugs and talking bollox :unamused: I know the man,have known him 7 year and I can tell you he ain’t a ■■■■■■■■■■. He said today that the VOSA chap was okay with the packs of pipes as the straps were in the groves on the pipes, if however they were say solid pipes they may have done him because if he had to break hard then there is a serious risk of the load shooting forward and straight over the top of the unit. Chester you are correct about the D loops, that’s what he was told , but obviously some folk on here think he’s talking out of his arse because they have’nt been told :unamused: funny how you or your company have heard or been told similar.

Rhythm Thief:
At least a complete stranger isn’t going to be sick in my cab half way through my shift.

And then run off without paying…

Chas:

Slackbladder:
Obviously you would lie it down and strap it in using ratchets. Good grief no wonder we need the DCPC.

I had much trouble strapping the last one down, so we cut a hole in the roof & tried to avoid any bridges.

well thats probably a better way to do it
and more humanitarian
that way with no straps restricting the giraffes movement
he has more freedom
and not only that
he has fresh air and a good view of the route
ps
a good tip to avoid bridges is to use a sat nav

chester:
Sounds like the load was restrained with internal straps with the hooks under the siderave. ie using where the curtain straps fasten as a restrain point is gonna become a no no.
Fixed lashing points is what VOSA are gonna be looking for.
That is something like D loops which are placed at frequent intervals along the trailer bed.

Please tell me where this and similar info about the future can be found. Thanks.