Tesco Interview and Assessment

Hi guys,
I currently work in Tesco but i’m about to go into the interview and assessment drive stage of the process in transferring into depot. i wonder if anyone can shed any light on what procedures are, what sort of questions they ask, what the assessment drive contains etc. any help would be appreciated at all.
Thank you
Craig

i was going to do the same thing but got told the new drivers contracts are £9 an hour for class 1

Tesco at Fradley Lichfield ask the usual tacho and hours questions but the assessment drive was doing a store delivery,their drivers get maps for shops so looks like its follow a map to a shop and doing a delivery,seems a lot for an assessment but tesco don’t do things by half.

It would also include I was guess some form of backing on a bay to unload and reload as well as securing the pallets/cages.

Radar19:
It would also include I was guess some form of backing on a bay to unload and reload as well as securing the pallets/cages.

Not to mention the hour session of, being overtaken! :smiley:

Avonmouth goes like this

A multiple choice test on hours an wtd. Make sure you know more than just 4.5 hours driving 45 off etc.

Then a walkround of the wagon an you have to put it on a bay but will be empty ones both sides but they may only let you use half the road to simulate tight store. Then put it on a bay between two trailers.

Then go out for road test, want you to drive steady no speeding. Accelerate gently and use exhaust break to slow not foot brake.

If do that then a long boring tour around the site finishing with a explination on how to use every taillift an type of truck and fridge.

You do get a nice fry up so take some change.

Stobarts do the pulling for Tesco up our end. You’re fine in the assessment if you drive safely, and even conservatively, and aren’t an idiot! :stuck_out_tongue:

Their assessment is:

1. Check your licence, tell you not to be nervous, and tell you that you can cross your hands on the wheel because you are a qualified driver, etc.

2. A walk-around check, after you’ve put your card in. You’re just reeling-off the stuff you revise in your test and CPC really.

3. A general drive, where they check your safety, such as mirrors, speeding, etc, but also look at progress, so don’t do 20mph everywhere!

4. A reverse into a bay. Mine was a standard, driver’s side reverse into a bay with two trailers on either side, so just a normal reverse you’d be expected to do. Follow the rules, and you’re fine. Maintain all-round observation, and don’t worry about time. The assessor told me that time is not a problem, providing you get it in there safely. There wasn’t any blindside

The assessor was quite chatty, and he mentioned to me that the chat could have an influence on the result of the assessment. In particular, he told me that on an assessment drive, an applicant mentioned that he works full-time, and wants some weekend work, and the assessor told him that he would only be able to work one in two weekends, to which the applicant was gobsmacked. Then he decides to ask him a few questions about WTC and driver’s hours, and the candidate didn’t have a clue! He said he failed him for that.

Have faith in your ability, and you’ll be fine. Drive safely, and you’ll also be fine! :grimacing:

m_attt:
Avonmouth goes like this

A multiple choice test on hours an wtd. Make sure you know more than just 4.5 hours driving 45 off etc.

Then a walkround of the wagon an you have to put it on a bay but will be empty ones both sides but they may only let you use half the road to simulate tight store. Then put it on a bay between two trailers.

Then go out for road test, want you to drive steady no speeding. Accelerate gently and use exhaust break to slow not foot brake.

If do that then a long boring tour around the site finishing with a explination on how to use every taillift an type of truck and fridge.

You do get a nice fry up so take some change.

Thank Matt for the reply. It is in fact Avonmouth that I’m potentially transferring over to so that’s great help. Think I’ll be doing some hard work on DTR and tachos. And thinking about my drive along the way. Wish me luck guys. Hope I can get in there :smiley:

The instructors there are really nice. Not there to catch you out. And dont expect you to be perfect as take on new passes. Person I went with took several shunts to get on the bay. So the instuctor gave him some pointers an he started again and put it on the bay and passed. Just looking for you to be safe not perfect.

m_attt:
The instructors there are really nice. Not there to catch you out. And dont expect you to be perfect as take on new passes. Person I went with took several shunts to get on the bay. So the instuctor gave him some pointers an he started again and put it on the bay and passed. Just looking for you to be safe not perfect.

Cheers Matt. Done alot of work on tachos and wtd. Got my interview and assessment tomorrow so wish me luck lol