Tearing out the mudflap

m1cks:
Seems a bit of overkill when you read the simple solutions others have given.

I agree it may be overkill ,but I was mentioning what I have see fitted to other vehicles…It obviously works for them…

On artic tippers we used to put a normal smooth flap on the drive axle and just put the anti spray on for test ,as when pulling a tipper this was accepted on a road side check.

Dan Punchard:
On artic tippers we used to put a normal smooth flap on the drive axle and just put the anti spray on for test ,as when pulling a tipper this was accepted on a road side check.

Hiya dan although our family coming from you area i now live in North Wales, when we went to Llay test station the chap
out side on the lane duty had a thing about mudflaps, as soon as you pulled into the lane he was their with his tape.
you could get away with a bulb out fix it quick but if the flaps was off the ground by more then a couple of inches
that was it off you go…what a nightmare.
John

There was a man at derby station with flap fetish,on a Erf the genuine spray mudflap for the cab had a cut away to accommodate the bottom bracket tube ,this man would fail this genuine part and demand that a universal spray flap was fitted squashed between the stay bar and fibre glass wing! I can’t see the difference my self ,any way I think the station manager sorted him after a few complained .

Sorry for going off on a tangent but what happened to all the spray suppression nonsense in the 80s.
Had to have half a doormat hanging off every wheelarch.

Raise the suspension on the drive axle.

Thanks for all the replies! Would anyone be able to send me some photos or the modifications they have made to the mudflaps. This would be really helpful the email is breeze.kelly91@gmail.com :slight_smile:

I have no specific pictures of mudflaps but I do however possess an extensive collection of seat belt warning audio clips that I painstakingly collected for another poster. Hth.

These are the clips we use on our trailers, if the spray suppressor catches a high kerb or a stop in a parking bay they just snap, saving the whole mudguard from being ripped off.

This one’s set quite high, but we have others that are ‘Conveniently’ low, hence a daily invoice from our resident fitter !

Thanks for the photos I see what you mean good idea!

My girlfriend is a university student studying product design and after seeing all your posts she has decided to create a project based on this problem. Does anyone else have any other photos she can show her tutor as she needs to prove there is a problem that needs solving Thanks

What about sturdy press studs/poppers?

3300John:
Hiya…now then lads (mostly old ones) what was the name of the cafe at Brotherton,
the cafe car park was as rough as the moons surface. you,ve never seen so many flaps
and half,s of mudguars in your life. the cafe closed about 15 maybe 20 years ago but was
always full at nights
John

Normans. :wink:

(And I’m only middle-aged! :sunglasses: )

Truckinfo28:
My girlfriend is a university student studying product design and after seeing all your posts she has decided to create a project based on this problem. Does anyone else have any other photos she can show her tutor as she needs to prove there is a problem that needs solving Thanks

get her to design mudguards and light boxes made out of silicone or something so they can survive a knock :slight_smile:

Send a pm to Trubster, he’s an expert when it comes to mudflaps and their removal.

Truckinfo28:
‘… how many other drivers out there happen to rip off the mud guard on their vehicle when reversing … Any info would be greatly appreciated…’

I’ve stopped trying to pinch those (sometimes helpful) yellow, bay bananas: Done it twice - so I now make sure that I’m properly square-on first.

Hi all. I am a University student currently on my third year. I am completing my dissertation which i have decided to base on lorry and large vehicle mudflaps. I will be making a product when I have written my dissertation and am currently doing market research. I have produced a questionnaire. It is only 8 questions long. I would really appreciate if anyone could fill it in for me so I can continue my dissertation. If anyone is interested please click on the link smartsurvey.co.uk/s/95572RHILA thank you.

When I worked for a large walking floor company before any new unit went on the road the fitters cut the original flaps down
Then they cut them in half and fitted small door hinges on them complete with a loop and attached a bunge with a hook on the unit then you just clipped them up as required

The Hayton Coulthard driver with his new extra long 16.5m trailer was unfortunate to rip off his rear mudguard at the bomb site called Gate 5 Wm Morrisons J41 last week, as he tried to reverse his trailer wheels dropped into a water filled pothole which must have been at least 18 inches deep, shame on you Morrisons!!!

howatsi:
The Hayton Coulthard driver with his new extra long 16.5m trailer was unfortunate to rip off his rear mudguard at the bomb site called Gate 5 Wm Morrisons J41 last week, as he tried to reverse his trailer wheels dropped into a water filled pothole which must have been at least 18 inches deep, shame on you Morrisons!!!

That holding area they call Gate 5 is a real disgrace … nearly as bad as Lincoln Farm Café parking :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
or Heywood Truckstop parking.