Tank Transporters

Heading back into England across the Second Severn bridge early on Friday morning, I spotted about a dozen really large tank transporters carrying big tanks, heading into Wales. The units were really angular, with narrow windscreens and looked like something out of an Arnie type movie. They were painted in drab green military paint, but all had civvy 53 plates. Does anyone know what motors they were, and are they civvy or army. I could not see any manufacturers logos or names, but it was v early a.m. and hoiking it down with rain.

Ah they’ll be the new US Oshkosh units that are run under contract to the British Army.

Probably off to invade Cardiff,though god knows why!!

It’;s because there is a debate ongoing about giving additional powers to the Welsh assembly. The Scots, unlike the Welsh, were afforded their own administrative powers (and look how much that has cost - the UK).

Obviously they are being sent there in the event that they will mirror the actions of Northern Rhodesia when they declared UDI. :laughing:

Not sure why they have a civvy registration, unless it’s because they are operated by the MOD and not the Army and driven by civilian drivers. The job was advertised some time ago at about £16,000pa and you have to sign up to agree to drive into trouble spots (even Wales :smiley: ) The pay sounds low, until you realise this is civil service job with a basic 35hour week and Civil Service pension scheme and any outside a normal hours will count as overtime.

The Oshkosh HET (Heavy Equipment Transporter) is an 8x8 tractor developed by Oshkosh Truck for the US Army. The MoD bought 93 and they are operated by civilian contractor Fasttrax. Email: kimbrown@FTXLOG.com for further info
Powered by a CAT C17 rated at 750hp they have a 7-speed Allison fully auto transmission The UK version is fully Euro3 compliant and pulls a King designed and built trailer. There is also a heavy recovery version of the tractor.
I have driven one in the US and they are pretty awesome.
For more info on the tractor look at the Oshkosh Truck website.

I thought they were those ALE Goliath jobbies meself :confused:

Fastrax (FTX Logistics) advertised for drivers and mechanics in the back of commercial motor 9/9/04.

Only draw back you have to sign up to the TA and become a Reservist. I don’t like people shooting at me while driving, bad enough with kids hurling bricks of bridges

saw 2 of your trucks there but not you…when will you be there next
we someti,es go to far end of the shed