Tachos - POA or other work?

Can someone just clarify a Tacho question… If your being loaded by someone else, for that period do you put tacho to POA or Other work?
I Then I had to secure the load after it was all on with ratchet straps, do I then change tacho to other work if I had previously used POA for the period during loading? So confused. ( also can you put it as rest if technically you’re not doing anything?)

Think its time for me to do a CPC on tachos and drivers hours etc.
Actually quite surprised having just passed my C+E with no previous commercial trucking experience and having obtained grandfather rights on CPC they just let me loose i don’t really feel particularly comfortable. ( I’ve downloaded the vosa rules on drivers hours booklet but I’m still confused )

Cheers

If your doing any work and you get paid for them put it on break, if not getting paid put it on other work, your only supposed to use POA if you have been told how long you are going to be waiting.

Stick it on other work if your being tipped/loaded and CANNOT leave the vicinity of the vehicle, if there is a brew room you can sit in then use break. ONLY use POA if your between loads and waiting for the next load, or have been told to stand down!

Or at least thats my take on it anyhow! :smiley:

B…

Foxstein:
If your NOT doing any work and you get paid for them put it on break, if not getting paid put it on other work, your only supposed to use POA if you have been told how long you are going to be waiting.

Love it when it goes awry :laughing:

Keep asking questions - nobody minds because they know the system is rubbish for newly qualified

Bungle666:
Stick it on other work if your being tipped/loaded and CANNOT leave the vicinity of the vehicle, if there is a brew room you can sit in then use break. ONLY use POA if your between loads and waiting for the next load, or have been told to stand down!

B…

Dunno where you got that load of ZB from !!!

Break is simply not working or driving even if you are sitting in the drivers seat recouperating
POA is virtually the same butyou must be informed or reasonably know how long the wait will be
Break is easier

ROG:

Bungle666:

B…

Break is simply not working or driving even if you are sitting in the drivers seat recouperating

well, thats fair enough! hey im only learning meself here too!

B…

Bungle666:

ROG:

Bungle666:

B…

well, thats fair enough! hey im only learning meself here too!

B…

Thats how we all learnt including me

At least now you know whats what :smiley:

Thanks guys for clearing that up , much appreciated

Fireman Sam:
Can someone just clarify a Tacho question… If your being loaded by someone else, for that period do you put tacho to POA or Other work?
I Then I had to secure the load after it was all on with ratchet straps, do I then change tacho to other work if I had previously used POA for the period during loading? So confused. ( also can you put it as rest if technically you’re not doing anything?)

I think if my trailer was being loaded with a load that required ratchet straps to secure it, I would like to supervise it being loaded. If I did that it would be Other Work.

Considering you are new to the Industry Fireman Sam, my advice to you is to select Work when you are working and Break while on a break.

There are plenty of drivers who select Break while they are working to hurry the job along (because they are being paid anyhow) thats up to them but it surprises me when they complain about the Boss buying a new Range Rover every year…

Personally, I don’t take breaks while I’m actually doing other work. I think if you might be on duty for over twelve hours each day I don’t think it’s unreasonable to take a break from work to recuperate for at least forty five minutes in that day.

Stay safe,

W

interesting one.

Look at it this way, greatly simpified …

" breaks " are enforced Rest

" POA "'s are un-enforced Rest (i.e your available for work, but there isnt any to do :exclamation: :slight_smile:

POA’s of a long enought duration, can qualify as a Break. .

If your sitting recording a POA while being loaded/unloaded,
Mr VOSA Dude will expect to see some period of " Other Work " recorded at the comencment & termination of the POA…
( even if thats just the few minutes it takes to open/close the sheets & comuniate with the fork’y )

If at anypoint during that time, you even do a few moments “other work” it should be recorded :smiling_imp:

===============
As for Pre-Notification, if your parked and the TM/Boss says “hang on a Minute”
you should instantly switch to POA
( a single “minute” can quicky accumilate many frends, & become an hour ) :wink:

I was asked only this monday to a hang on "a Minute " while we sort this out
and was called back 3/4 hour later, during that time I recorded over 40minutes of POA

If you arrive to Tip, and there is a queue, and you been there before, and on the previous occasion
that “queue” took ages to dis-perse, Yep, record POA ago…

WHY are POA’s so useful, POA’s dont qualify towards Working-Time :exclamation:
while your sitting there doing nothing recordiing “Other Work” that time is adding to Working-Time
( of which you must not exceed an average on 48hrs/week over 17weeks )

enjoy, de 2xQ

DoubleQ:

Apart from the first 45 minutes you spend in the passenger seat whilst multi-manning POA never counts as break for the regulations.

tachograph:

DoubleQ:

Apart from the first 45 minutes you spend in the passenger seat whilst multi-manning POA never counts as break for the regulations.

Yep, my example is “greatly simpified …” :bulb:

PMSL :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: some numpties on here again I give up tachograph and Rog.

The way i’m looking at it there’s somany people giving advice that don’t have a zb of a clue what their talking about the jobs will be for the picking if they ever made the DCPC a Test that requires a 90% pass rate

Foxstein:
If your doing any work and you get paid for them put it on break, if not getting paid put it on other work, your only supposed to use POA if you have been told how long you are going to be waiting.

all depend from situation.but if i nothing do i press POA.yes drivers some normaly don t know how long will be waiting,but if i press to POA ,and come VOSA.they can ask me how long my waiting ,i can answer -oh 2 hours(follow rules if planned POA was 2 hours but realy was just 1 hours it is full legally).VOSA CAN ASK ME WHO SAID to me about 2 hours.i can answer somebody come to me and said.this stupid situation,because follow rules drivers must know advansed,but by WTD can t understand who must give notice about how long waiting time.in any RDC,CDC OR FACTORY,some time security,FLT drivers,or … can talk about .no RESPOSIBLE PEOPLE .and all verbal,no evidence.
normaly POA rules must change.don t count any POA if this less for 10 minut ,but count for poa any waiting time .just first 5 minute and last 5 minute from POA count for other job.

I can’t believe the totally wrong advice given on here.

I hope people realise who they should listen to and who not. There are some very knowledgeable people on here who do their upmost to ensure accurate information is posted. Others just post crap

Just a small point folks…

:bulb: For some of the older hands… let’s remember that this is the Newbies’ Forum. :wink:

:bulb: For some of the Newbies… it’s sometimes better to ask a question or say that you’re not sure when you post, rather than to say something that could be read by others as ‘definite.’ :wink:

dieseldave:

:bulb: For some of the older hands… let’s remember that this is the Newbies’ Forum. :wink:

:bulb: For some of the Newbies… it’s sometimes better to ask a question or say that you’re not sure when you post, rather than to say something that could be read by others as ‘definite.’ :wink:

but should this be not in newbies but in the safety and law section then Dave ■■?

nick2008:

dieseldave:

but should this be not in newbies but in the safety and law section then Dave ■■?

It’s a fair point and I did think about that, but the OP is a newbie asking a newbie question. :smiley:

dieseldave:

nick2008:

dieseldave:

It’s a fair point and I did think about that, but the OP is a newbie asking a newbie question. :smiley:

I agree, the problems occur when other new drivers or people who simply don’t know what they’re talking about decide to give answers as if they do know.

If people want to have a go at answering questions there’s nothing wrong with that, this is a discussion forum after-all, but they should at-least make it clear that they’re not sure, telling new drivers some of the things that’s been posted in this thread could lead them into trouble.

So could you get away with just putting it on break rather than using poa and would it be taken into consideration if you worked 13 hours took 45 min break and had two 7 1/2 minute breaks because in theory you’ve only then worked 12 hours not sure on that one.