Tachohraph When car in garage?

Hi All,

So I have my own transport business and have just the one car for towing at present with a tacho.

The car has just been recovered with a transmission
Problem so while that is in the garage how do I go about doing my hours? as I’m able to use my father in laws Range Rover vogue for towing to keep earning money.

Do I just keep a manual log if I got stopped and proof of car in garage?

I’m must be able to still go out to work and not just wait for my car to be fixed?

Thanks for any info

Unless the work you do is exempt from EU tachograph regulations, If the gross weight of the vehicle with trailer is more than 3.5t you’ll need a tachograph fitted to stay legal.

1 Like

Yes, but as explained by @tachograph only in a compliant vehicle.
They are available for rent, but the rates may, or may not, make it worthwhile. Land Rover, 4x4 and Pick Up Truck Hire
4x4 Truck Hire | Off Road Vehicle Hire | LC Vehicle Hire

The offence could be using a veh without a tacho fitted, so the log book does change things. No exemption for the lack of tacho fitted and in turn no exemption from using a card
3 choices - hope you f t get stopped or examined later or revise the business till veh fixed or try and hire a tacho fitted veh

Car with a tacho?

I thought cars were exempt from needing a tacho, hence the “easy” route into car transportation was a big 4x4 CAR towing a trailer. If it were a dual-purpose vehicle, eg a double cab pickup, it wouldn’t be a CAR and thus would need a tacho.

These days if the combined gross weight of the car and trailer is more than 3.5 tonne you need a tachograph.

There are exemptions listed in the link.

When the OP suggests being able o borrow a Range Rie r alternative, I suggests when they say .car’, they mean not HGv/ van. But y whatever ‘car’ they were using, it had a tacho fitted/used, so no exemption going forward.

I think there was an exemption for dual use vehicles with an unladen weight of less than 2,050kgs at one time, or summat similar.
But I can’t see that anymore in the list of exemptions.

Only a few vehicles were that light with a max gross of over 3.5T anyway. Some Amaroks, and some Touareg?

I vaguely remember it was the Isuzu D-Max which was under 2050kgs, so it wasn’t classified as a “dual purpose vehicle” and the double cab model could do 60 on a single carriageway (and 70 on a DC). Where most double cab pickups - eg Nissan, Toyota, etc - were over the weight limit so were subject to the lower speed limits on those roads.

But that’s speed limit, not tacho exemptions.

Dual purpose are 2040kgs or less ( probably a typo earlier), that may be relevant for sim operator licence options but not an exemption as far as tacho are concerned

Yeah had a Mitsubishi l200 for that reason no op licence was a load of rubbish for towing especially the hammer I do every week.

Why back into V6 cars

AIUI <3500kg vehicle towing a trailer (<3500kg) doesn’t need an operator’s licence, just needs tacho when towing.