Tacho question

Hi all

I just wanted to ask here first and find out what the real answer is before even wanting to attempt in asking VOSA

Currently looking at a Ford Ranger, or a LWB transit and from time to time will need to tow a trailer, so I have been already informed that I will need an operators licence because Im using the vehicle and trailer for " Hire and reward " and the GVW are over 3500kg…

So my vehicle has to be fitted with a tacho, so how does this work when I use the vehicle for my own personal use ? or if I wanted to visit family in the North and I chose to take the trailer… you never know something might come up…

Don’t want them idiots from VOSA telling me that I’m committing an infringement and fining my ■■■…Did see someone inform me I cant drive a vehicle with a tacho for person use…

Thats being discussed right here.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97830

From the way I have read it when you are not towing the trailer you would not be required to use the tacho, i.e if you towed a trailer somewhere and left it there you would need it on the way out, but when you came back you could set the tacho to out of scope, I would of therefore thought if you are not using the trailer for hire and reward it would be fair to say no tacho required, BUT the problem would be how would MR vosa know that when he stopped you, I feel that it would be a case of you having to prove you were not using it for hire and reward and to be honest that could end up being an expensive exercise. the easiest way would be to set the tacho to out of scope when going to your family at least that way vosa can see you are making an effort to record something and not just doing nothing, now this is just a personal opinion because the regs do seem very grey when trying to mix the personal and private use :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

A Ford Ranger (and other large family SUVs) is classified as a Dual Purpose Vehicle and does not require an Operators Licence for towing.

This can get interesting …

4x4 with trailer does commercial delivery from A to B

Driver has a brother who lives at B and moves private stuff from B to A

VOSA have often stated that a commercial journey is a round trip from A to B to A

Hmmm…

Which is obviously rubbish. A tachograph should be used to record Activity within EU Regs. Explain to me where a private journey falls into EU Regs

Dar1976

In the words of VOSA so far… if the vehicle has a GVM of 3495 and the trailer has a GVM of 3500kg then the combined weight is over 3.5t and because its being used for reward and hire then the vehicle must be fitted with a tacho

Yes but you do not have to use it in scope for all mileage unless it is being used 100% for hire and reward.

dar1976:
A Ford Ranger (and other large family SUVs) is classified as a Dual Purpose Vehicle and does not require an Operators Licence for towing.

• “Dual purpose” vehicles
    Under Schedule 3 (2) of the goods Vehicles (Licensing of Operators) Regulations 1995 “a dual purpose vehicle and any trailer drawn by it” is identified as exempt from goods vehicle operator licensing.
    The dual purpose category generally includes cars, estates, pickups (with a second row of seats (crew cab) only), and domestic 4x4 vehicles such as Land Rovers, Jeeps, and other similar vehicles below 2040kgs unladen weight.

Most double cab pick ups would fall into the class of dual purpose vehicle (examples of a double cab pick up are vehicles such as Mitsubishi Warrior and a Ford Ranger). A dual purpose vehicle is;

constructed/adapted for carriage of both passengers and goods
a vehicle with an unladen weight not exceeding 2040kgs
constructed/adapted that the driving power of the engine can be transmitted to all wheels
must have rigid roof, transverse passenger seats and rear windows amongst other things.

Dual purpose vehicles (when not drawing a trailer) have the speed limits as follows (unless shown as restricted);

motorway 70mph
dual carriageway 70mph
single carriageway 60mph

These speed limits also apply to passenger vehicles and motor caravans when they are not drawing a trailer, not adapted to carry more than 8 passengers and have an unladen weight not exceeding 3050kg.