Tacho fraud bust

Firm caught out with drivers running bent.

Good that they have been caught, but 8years ago!
Are there others pending/in the pipeline, I wonder?

Probably. A similar case of tacho fraud that I’m aware of only came to Preston Crown Court after a 4.5 year investigation, obviously they don’t feel any pressure to rush things.

how long do you have to keep records for ie we sent driver A to place X, driver B to place Y etc?

Someone i know used to work with another driver that would do the same route as him up to wapping for the papers then down to brighton and pick up something for the return load. my friend would just be setting off for brighton and the phone would go “where are you” “why are you there im on my way back from brighton” It didnt occur to the driver that his speed was monitored on the tacho however it took the company a good few months to cotton on

Drivers hours records need to be kept for a minimum of 12 months, or if used for WTD/RTD purposes then keep them for 24 months

I wonder if you could have cut it in that firm if you didn’t break the rules, given that it caught bosses as well as drivers.

Would seem a bit brazen to ask at interview what you’d be willing to do to get back to the yard in a squeeze…

i could easily see a driver running out of time and being told you can do it and when he refuses because he legally cant being told do it or find another job. shortly followed by a phone call to the dvla /tc. I know of several people that have had that happen and decided to take that route.

what gets me though is there is obviously a lack of determination to do anything about people like this in a timely manor. Even if they do prosecute the courts just give them a slap on the wrist

They know that the purpose of tachos is to detect bent running and any ‘manipulation’.
So they try to ‘manipulate’ them anyway.What could possibly go wrong.

Yeah but there’s two types of prosecution: The courts, where the judges/magistrates probably don’t appreciate the legal implications as well as some might, and, The TCs, who have no problems with hitting the operators or drivers where it hurts, ie by impacting on their ability to earn money

the point is if i took a baseball bat and beat someone with it to the point of causing serious injury i would expect a lot more than 2 years in the slammer… get stoned or drunk and jump into a 44 tonne vehicle result… 2 years or get told there is a good boy dont do it again.

A lot would depend on the circumstances of beating someone with a weapon, and baseball bats are inherently problematic when the law gets involved, unless you do actually play baseball and can prove it. If you can handle getting up close and personal, the right kind of pen or pencil will end your opponent and see you get away with it, assuming you genuinely intend to end them and aren’t simply indulging movie hard-man fantasies.

But I don’t believe anyone gets the “don’t do it again” treatment for being stoned and driving a truck

if i pulled a weapon on anyone im likely to be walking/limping away with it shoved somewhere… the point is if i did go out and do that i would probably get more prison time than being over the limit and driving a truck which is just as serious if not more so

“Crackle crackle, click”. Then text the boss saying my signal’s really poor here, just pop what you want me to do in a text.