Swains of Stretton

Bumped for drhasbeen.

hi mercman123 just read on the swains , i still see a lot of the old drivers will ask about for any photoes. stillsee plenty of there trucks at pontsbury , but i dont think any off the old drivers are there. the only one that was there was a mechanic who had been there years martin, but sadly lost him in accident last year.i dont think he had worked any were else. top bloke. will do best charlie.

charliemjp:
hi mercman123 just read on the swains , i still see a lot of the old drivers will ask about for any photoes. stillsee plenty of there trucks at pontsbury , but i dont think any off the old drivers are there. the only one that was there was a mechanic who had been there years martin, but sadly lost him in accident last year.i dont think he had worked any were else. top bloke. will do best charlie.

Bloody hell, that’s terrible news. Martin was a great bloke and lived just round the corner from the yard iirc.
RIP Martin :blush:

I remember when their yard was on the crossroads at Church Stretton, all the lorries had a name starting with crossways, crossways fleur, crossways poppy are two I can remember working on.

Um…sat here wondering whetever to say about Martin but you’re all friends it seems.He was knocked off his motorbike going over the Dolfor,Newtown.
As you say,cracking bloke,we had a couple of beers together now and then.

Sorry to dampen things and crack on lads.

Hi all I know this has been posted on the Shropshire thread . But here we go again . Tony

Sorry not very good pics but from one of my drivers going up to the Blanc following a Swains trailer

Slater & Son:
This pic has been on this area of the forum a couple of times - My old man circa 1984. You’ll find similar on the Truckin’ in the '80’s thread - and I think there is one maybe dedicated to Swains & another Shropshire operator…?
Yeah, any other Swains pic’s you have, get 'em up! :smiley:

Is your dad on the left as the chap on the right looks like Martin?

Cheers.

Is your dad on the left as the chap on the right looks like Martin?

Cheers.
[/quote]
No mate, Bob Slater definately on the right.

HI ALL, HI MERCMAN 123, BEEN TALKING TO PAUL CADD TO DAY , HE IS GOING TO GET SOME PIC SORTED. THE BLOKE ON LEFT BY MERC LOOKES LIKE KEITH WRIGHT. CHEERS CHARLIE

Hi Charlie how’s things ? Yes any pictures would be great . I’m surprised there hasn’t been more interest on the thread . Swains were a big firm not just in Shropshire but the Midlands but maybe England . You used to see them every where . Where are all the old drivers there must be loads . It would be great to have some of there stories and pictures . Any way thanks . Tony

Hey everyone

I just noticed this topic now and thought i would ask you all a question…

My dad John Blair used to drive for swains of stretton many years ago, I think it was back in the 70’s/80/s?

Does anyone know him, or have any pictures of his lorry as he doesn’t have any left :confused:

Now we are on a roll does any drivers from Swains of Stretton want some pictures on here ? Tony

I never drove for Swains Tony,but remember their yard and fleet well.Stick the pics on mate.They had some good kit.
Cheers Dave.

This pic has been on this area of the forum a couple of times - My old man circa 1984. You’ll find similar on the Truckin’ in the '80’s thread - and I think there is one maybe dedicated to Swains & another Shropshire operator…?
Yeah, any other Swains pic’s you have, get 'em up! :smiley:

Thanks Slater for the picture whar are all the old drivers they must be around or don’t they like the computers.It would be nice if some pictures and stories could be here . Tony

I know of a driver in the same town as me - a guy called Dave Birch (now on for Stobarts International arm) who got my dad on to Swains at their Telford depot, Stafford Park 6 if I remember correctly. I’ll have to see if he has any memories or pics he wants to share. They had at least 30 trailers there at any one time, numerours units. Didn’t they have depots all over? Huddersfield, Swanley, Gloucester, Shrewsbury, Poole, Cherbourg, etc… Would really love to see some pics of that era, better still that depot! Today it’s occupied by various industrial enterprises and looks pretty untidy. Oh if I could turn back the clock… :laughing:

Slater & Son:
I know of a driver in the same town as me - a guy called Dave Birch (now on for Stobarts International arm) who got my dad on to Swains at their Telford depot, Stafford Park 6 if I remember correctly. I’ll have to see if he has any memories or pics he wants to share. They had at least 30 trailers there at any one time, numerours units. Didn’t they have depots all over? Huddersfield, Swanley, Gloucester, Shrewsbury, Poole, Cherbourg, etc… Would really love to see some pics of that era, better still that depot! Today it’s occupied by various industrial enterprises and looks pretty untidy. Oh if I could turn back the clock… :laughing:

Yes there was depot in Cherbourg my mates dad worked there
Tony

Slater & Son:

Dave has finished work now. He had a long period off sick and I think he’s now retired.
Good bloke Dave he always had a smile and a chat. Not like some of the ■■■■■■■■■ we have on here(Stobart international) now.
Just to say we aren’t all like that… But a fair portion are.