Speed Limiters on 1988 -1992 Tractor Units

2 yearly check isnt a test fail unless its digi only advise

Hi - does anyone have a unit (or vehicle above 12001kgs Gross Design Mass) registered from 1/1/88 to 1/1/92, that they use as a Private HGV, that does very minimal mileage per annum?? I have a tractor unit I purchased in March this year, first registered 1/1/90, that had one previous owner and it has somehow managed to escape having a speed limiter fitted. The legal requirement to do so commenced from 1/1/2005, so it has essentially gone through no less than 6 MOT’s without being spotted. I am told that aquiring a speed limiter sticker ( :unamused: ) may be sufficient to get it through as VOSA have no way of testing older lorries with mechanical limiters. I have also been told that retro fitment will be somewhere around a grand :open_mouth: :confused: :smiling_imp: :imp:

Before any mis-interpretations ensue, it is important to state at this point that Speed Limiters and retro-fitment thereof, goes by GDM (Gross Design Mass) and not ULW.

it may sound daft but there is no need to get hold of a sticker just write one out or print a label off your pc with “road speed limiter fitted set speed 85kph” and stick it in the windscreen so it can be seen from inside the cab and that will do for test
i only learned that the sticker does not have to come from a certain source ie taco centre a few months ago
when i used to run a FL n reg with a mechanical limiter fitted they never plugged into the taco head but they did look at the taco charts i had used to see if the limiter was working
just another point i know a lad that has a f reg erf tractor on the show curcit and his failed the test this year for the taco not being calibrated/2 year check as this has not been needed in the past,(he was told the law had changed) once the truck is 25 years old and registered as plg it will be exempt from the taco/speed limiter/2 year check, i was told this a matter of a few weeks ago
moose

Thanks, yep - mine passed about 10 days back as it turned out it has a limiter fitted, albeit not working! I showed the VOSA tester the limiter (fitted behind the dash to the tacho) and all he was then interested in was testing it. When I said it was ‘meachanical’ and not fitted to the fuel system, he asked to see my “tacho card”. :unamused: I had put one in (even though it’s not necessary on a private HGV tractor unit) and kept to 55mph all the way to the test station. He saw it and passed it. My old Cargo will pull to a very respectable speed for a truck that is so hated by the star-spangled banner brigade. :laughing: