Something seems off

Am i missing something :neutral_face:

Suedehead:
Am i missing something :neutral_face:

You are probably assuming that you are looking at the back of a car transporter. It’s actually a skip carrier, not sure if the goods in transit insurers would be lenient, or the boys in blue!

Looks like it’s secured properly.

I would think it’s ok, I worked for a small family skip company years ago and they once sent me to Tata steel to collect some sheets of steel for replacing the bottom of a couple of older skips and surprisingly they actually let me take the stuff on the back of the skip wagon since I believe tata are rather ■■■■ about load security etc

They even piggybacked loaded skips many a times with only the top skip still attached to the loading chains and the bottom was just there

Looks fine. It fits in the load space, looks like the wheels are strapped down etc, so in a sense it’s use st thus time us fairly similar to a recovery flat bed no?

I’ve seen an actual bus loaded into the back of a curtain sider which makes you think WTF but really when you think about it there’s nothing wrong with it so long as its secured and all that, it just looks weird especially as there was a small overhang at the rear so you could wee it poking out :laughing:

It might be going for scrap as long as its secure its OK,after all we can`t see what the back end of the car is like.

At the end of the day it’s a truck, a commercial vehicle…used for carrying loads that pay.
No matter what it’s primary and designed function is as long as the load is secure safe and is not liable to cause danger to the public, I would reckon it’s legal.

robroy:
At the end of the day it’s a truck, a commercial vehicle…used for carrying loads that pay.
No matter what it’s primary and designed function is as long as the load is secure safe and is not liable to cause danger to the public, I would reckon it’s legal.

It would seem that your speculation is correct: Cars carried on skip trucks.

Presumably it’s a woman’s car that needs cleaning internally.

Probably more secure than the average skip. If the chains are slack in transit which they usually are, its the weight of the skip holding it in place. OK, the arms are stopping the skip going over the side, and if it were to slide backwards the chains would tighten and hold it on. As an aside, a local skip haulier used to use a roll on,roll off with a flat sideless bin to transport his racing car to meetings!

Sorry, double post.

Pah, that’s nothing in Skip Land.

reminds me…recently my dad got pulled over when taking a car to the scrappies - was a pickup towing an Ifor Williams flatbed with the sides/back on, the car had the wheels removed so was on the deck and plenty ratchet straps holding it down - the officer asked how far he was going (was only a few miles) then said it wasn’t the proper trailer for transporting cars and something along the lines of ‘we wouldn’t want you going on the motorway and if it was traffic that pulled you it might be different’. Nonsense - if it wasn’t safe for the motorway then it wasn’t safe for any road. It was fine!

I’ve seen it done with vehicles that are coming in for repair either the car being dropped off, or the truck being left and the car / van is the ride home.

Skip gear is incredibly powerful lifting kit, I’m surprised you don’t see a lot more companies using them to drop off big awkward lumps. A skip lorry is relatively straightforward and cheap compared to a Hiab, admittedly you can only drop things just behind the vehicle but it’s a capability that is usually overlooked.

I have seen a skip lorry carrying a purpose built vac tank body so it could multipurpose.

I did a brief spell on scrap metal skips, and had a 4 wheeler and an 8 wheel twin bin that could carry 2x 12yd skips. The lifting gear was exactly the same and would just lift a bin on the rear deck, one of our regular jobs was a 12yard full of car batteries. It weighed about 16t. I did use the 4w to move it in the yard one day and it picked it up easy as you like.

The car that is overtaking has some guts …