Some tips to give you a fighting chance!

As probably a lot off you already have noticed is that a lot of companies are recruiting again, partly for summer cover and partly because the market is slightly moving again.

So is the company I am working for, but we run with the selection of drivers quite often against the same problem.

To give yourself a fighting chance, here some tips who could improve your chances to be at least invited for an interview (that is half the battle)
Don’t see it as critics, but a way forward.

If a company ask you to apply by E-mail, try to avoid the use of free e-mail addresses like Hotmail, Yahoo and Gmail.
If you have to use them because you have not another option, try at least to create Hotmail etc. what looks like your name, and not a collection of numbers and letters.
Most company spam filters will reject them, and your E-mail doesn’t go where you wanted it to go.

If you are not sure how to spell the name of the person you are writing to, check with the company and ask them to spell it, or write to the title of the person; e.g. Dear Transport Manager, Head of Human Recourses, Managing Director etc.
If you send your CV as a file, please use general recognised Word processing software, like MS Word, Lotus, or download the free “Open Office” software which has a MS compatible word processor.
Most standard programs like MS WordPad< WPS etc. can most times not be opened by an office computer.
If you don’t have these options, scan your CV in and send it as a PDF, TIFF, JPG file.
Please use a spell checker if you write an e-mail, CV, or cover letter.

Keep you cover letter briefly, and avoid too much information in your cover letter. (The reader can find that in your CV)
Keep the sentences short, but strong and clear.
Give information what tickles the reader to read your CV, if you know somebody who works there already and you mention his/hers name, can give you extra points (or he must be an [ZB] hole).
Don’t BS in your CV or cover letter, but be informative. (You will be found out quickly otherwise)
Use a normal letter type in your CV and cover letter (nothing fancy, hurts the eyes) Verdana or Arial in a 10-11mm setting is perfect.
Realise the more the reader has to do to read your letter, the bigger the chance is that it will be stored in the shredder!!

If you don’t hear from a company 2-3 weeks after you send your letter / E-mail, feel free to contact them by phone or E-mail.
Don’t be rude, be polite and just explain who you are, and that you where wondering if they where finished with the selection procedure.
If you phone everyday, you will be seen as a pain in the backside, but a courtesy call doesn’t do any harm, and let them know that you are still interested.

If you get invited for an interview, confirm in a letter e-mail, phone call that you are available on that time and place (or not if it doesn’t suit you that day).
If you let them know that you are still interested but the time or the day doesn’t suit you, most companies will make new arrangements, or keep you at least on file, if you do a “no show” and haven’t informed them at least 24 hours before, your file get stored in the famous shredder.

Be on time for an interview, but never too early or to late!

• To early means that you cannot plan your day.
  • To late means the same, plus you are not interested
    Be around 5 minutes before your time there, if you are to early (bad planning) check where the venue is, drive around the corner, check all your documents etc and report on time.
    If you run late, because of unforeseen circumstances, inform the interviewer by phone, don’t tell him BS, and don’t tell him your lost, you’re the driver in the end, makes not a good impression if you got lost before you started.

In the interview, introduce yourself (a decent handshake does never go amiss) and wait until they tell you to sit down.
Sit straight and look at least interested, watch your body language!
Everybody is nervous at an interview, and the interviewer tries to prick through that to get the best picture of you.
If you sit with your arms crossed in front of you, means you are closed and have a barrier that makes it hard to communicate with you.
If your arms are hanging beside your body, means you’re not interested, the trick is to have your underarms slightly resting on the table with you hand palms half showing, this means that you are open and have nothing to hide.
It’s pure psychology but it can make the first impression go either way, don’t force it but if you can manage to relax and be open and you sit in that way you are on the right road.
Keep in mind, many times an interview is hanging on the first 5 minutes, if your first impression is good, than you don’t have to work so hard to get the rest ok.

Keep respect for your interviewer, Transport world is a very small community and you never know when your roads cross again.
You can find him the biggest ■■■■■■, but never show it.
Listen what they tell you, answer their questions as good as you can, if you don’t know it, be honest about it, nobody knows everything.
Ask you questions, but don’t challenge the interviewer(s) that is not in your favour.
If you have questions you want to ask, write them down on a piece of paper and take them with you, the interviewer will see that you are well prepared, which gives you another brownie point.
If you don’t understand the answer, tell them, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers!
Be prepared, have al you documents in a folder (50 pence from Asda) clean and together, check them if they copy them if you have everything back.
Every interviewer likes to see somebody who is prepared, looks after his paperwork (important in the future) and is clean.
Be correctly dressed, you cannot overdress but under dress very easy. No need for a suit for most companies, but jeans and t-shirts dirty and with a hole in it, don’t do you any favours.
Don’t smell to alcohol, black tobacco or extreme strong mints, this gives the interviewer tears in his eyes and suspicion that you have something to hide (alcohol etc.)
Be clean, you are gone drive in a company vehicle and are the companies ambassador.
If companies with crappy vehicles prefer their driver to be clean.

Don’t try to impress the interviewer with all kind of useless information: “you know I was there and there in Italy and the guy said he never seen a driver putting that trailer in one go into that small street, you know in Verona beside the paper mill where that little Italian restaurant is” I didn’t know, I didn’t want to know, and was wondering why he had to proof no stop for 20 minutes how good he was. He got stored in the famous shredder for future reference.

If they are telling you that they will be in contact with you, feel free to ask in what kind of time a week, two weeks?
You should get a reasonable answer.
If you haven’t heard by then, a courtesy call shows your interest and doesn’t do you any harm; you have the right of proper information.
If they don’t take you on, but promise to keep your information on file, don’t always see that as a negative, they are interested in you, but don’t know where to place you immediately.
If they come back after they kept you on file, don’t always think that you are “second choice”
Especially when more than one person interviews you, they don’t always agree on the right candidate.

If there is a driving assessment involved, be prepared, bring a clean High Viz and you work shoes and gloves (clean) with you.
If there can be a nice comment made to your accessor about the yard or equipment, do so.
But don’t BS; if they have an old rotten T reg Leyland, don’t tell him it’s a lovely truck, he will already know that you are a bit of a back side creeper in that case.

If you have little or very old experience on artics and you really want the job, take a lesson or 2 to refresh your skills.
Had a couple of weeks a young driver with ZERO experience on the lorries, he promised me that if he was successful in the interview, he would take a couple of extra driving lessons on his own account before he would do the driving assessment.
We agreed after the interview, I would give him the job if he passed his assessment.
He took the extra lessons, and passed his assessment with flying colours.

Sometimes it pays to be bold, and stick your neck out!
He impressed me BIG style to go that extra step, and the whole interview was positive, because he REALLY WANTED IT, at nearly any price.
He will make it far in life, I am sure in that, and he is now on the continent totally happy.

Guess who is going to do a shortcut to this thread :unamused: :smiley:

I also found this and thought it might make a good addition
some advice for new Agency drivers

truckerjon:
…thought it might need a thread of it’s own…

Maybe this is the problem. I hear it all the time.
“I told them I don’t do London”
“I got a class one, I ain’t driving a class 2/dinky toy/ van”
“I don’t do fridge work”
“I don’t do multidrop, I only do trunking”
“I don’t do nights out”
If you want to get the work, you got to be prepared to take whatever you are given. Only after you show willing, will you get enough respect from agency and companies etc to be able to start picking and choosing. I hate london, I’m getting too old to do multidrop/ carrying things upstairs, I have a very comfortable bed, with a gorgeous wife, but if there is nothing else, i will do whatever i am offered. Be more flexible, be willing to “go the extra mile”. I get companies asking for me by name, some treat me as “one of us” and that includes the drivers, i didn’t get there by refusing to do" this or that" or by trying to be a prima donna!.

A few tips.
Smile, don’t complain, If your not happy about something, explain to the transport manager in a polite and reasonable tone, what you are not happy about.
Don’t stand for foul or abusive language or threatening behaviour from other drivers, office staff or managers. don’t bite if someone is abusive towards you. If this happens, keep your cool, smile and ignore it. If it is persistant, then report it to the senior manager, you are paid to do a job, not to take abuse.It stands to reason that the same applys to you, don’t use foul or abusive language, nor use threatening behaviour.

Don’t be afraid to ask if your not sure about something.most TM’s would much prefer answering 100 “stupid” questions, than have reams of paperwork to complete after somebody “got it wrong”
Drive the crap motor, but only if it’s legal. Do the correct vehicle checks and any defects, report. If they try to force you to take an illegal vehicle on the road, keep your cool, just be polite but firm and point out that the MOT is invalidated due to the defect, and that you don’t want to jepodise thier O licence and your driving licence by risking a serious accident. If it’s dirty, and you have time, clean it, then point out on your debrief that, “by the way, I gave that motor a wash cos it was filthy” you will be remembered!
If you damage something, report it! take the rap, believe me they will respect you more for putting your hands up, than by denying it. most TM’s understand that accidents happen, and will be more willing to accept you back if the know you can be trusted.
Take extra care to complete the paperwork.As said before, if your not sure, ASK.
Don’t wear dirty old jeans with 6 months grease on them and a dirty T-shirt, with some inapproapriate slogan on it. try to be smart, first appearances count for a lot, and you represent the company to thier customers.
communicate with the office, if you get delayed, let them know! they will think more of you if you give them a chance to inform the customer you will be late.
don’t lose it, if they keep calling you with stupid questions, if you don;t know what time you will get to somewhere, tell them politely you don’t know, but you will do your best.
Make sure your agency know that you will NOT break the law for anyone.

If at the end of the day, you are not happy working for a particular company, speak to your agency and explain exactly why. Don’t just say,“I dont like multidrop” because you will be cutting out opportunities with other companies.etc. If the company are asking you to break the law, tell your agency, if they side with the law breakers, look for a new agency, no reputable agency should condon law breaking.

And this…

tonka236
FROM HERE
:
Personally I have been to a few agencies and some really do take the mick (darn inability to swear :laughing: ) Either calling you last minute each time or like yourself sending you to firms that in all honesty you wouldnt touch with a barge pole.
I think we all as drivers have been there, especially when we are still wet behind the ears of passing. However, to what degree depends.
The first and last time for me was a night shift, got down there to be constantly hassled by the client for doing my checks. No height indicator on either the inside of the cab or for the trailer. Simply asked the question ‘You know the height buddy?’ To get told, ‘I would have thought it somewhere around 14ft 3.’ I then merely pointed out that I needed it in confirmed. Your wasting my time, F-this f-that, and of course, f-the other.
I jumped back in the cab and suddenly realised that it cost me around £1800 for both licences. That money had come out of my pocket, not the agencies nor the client! If i had got tugged or even worse it would have been my fault, my fine, my licence that could have been taken away.

Since then I have changed agencies and Im now well settled. Yeah its on van7.5t work and sometimes class 2. But the clients are great, to the point that I did a shift last week and the side light rear marker was out. Pointed it out to the boss and it was ‘Right take it out of the yard, go right, left , straight over and your will find the garage we use. Ill ring a head and it will be replaced in a couple of minutes’ It is refreshing to find companies like that.
The agency ring you when they want something and they ask about how your doing and whatcha got planned for the weekend etc. Sounds stoooopid I know but it makes you feel like a person not just a number.

But going back to it…

Big Brummie Macca:
If the vehicle is not road worthy then don’t take it out, you are the one driving it you are the one taking the risks if you take a vehicle out on the road when it is not fit for being on the road.

Bang on advice. If you did get pulled, then we all know the client and agency will join together and do one thing…deny all responsibilty

ROG:
Make it CRYSTAL CLEAR to any agency that you will not take out any client vehicle that you deem unroadworthy

Again great advice. Cover your own ■■■, its the best way.

scanny77:
just 2 things to add.
check for damage before you move that vehicle. the agency driver is an easy scapegoat for company drivers who dont want to admit they had a slight bump so they will leave it and let someone else take the blame. if you spot damage, get it reported there and then to cover your own arse. its easier to sort it out at the start of the shift than at the end of it
for similiar reasons it might be a good idea to keep a diary record of your reg and where you went. especially if you are stuck with one of those stupid ‘hows my driving’ stickers :exclamation:

Nice thread, with sound advice… :wink:

Very good info. :smiley: :smiley:
Must be worth a place as a sticky, somewhere. :smiley:

dinosteveus1:

I’ve added a link to it in my welcome message

ROG:

dinosteveus1:

I’ve added a link to it in my welcome message

You have some really good stuff in your links and some of the Vids are so helpful. :smiley: