Small question

I have my cat C so I can tow a trailer up to 750k,right?

noney82:
I have my cat C so I can tow a trailer up to 750k,right?

Yes, you can pull a trailer with a GVW of up-to 750kg.

So do I automatically get the rights to tow a trailer/caravan with a car now?

You already had the right to tow a trailer with your car. As long as it doesn’t weigh over 750kgs.

■■■■ me, first Facebook, now here. I hate trailers

As m1cks said you can tow a trailer up-to 750kg with a B category licence, you can tow a heavier trailer as long as the total weight of car and trailer does not exceed 3,500kg.

Driving licence categories

Ahhhh thank you guys(or girls) :slight_smile:

It’s just been pecking my head for passed for days

tachograph:
As m1cks said you can tow a trailer up-to 750kg with a B category licence, you can tow a heavier trailer as long as the total weight of car and trailer does not exceed 3,500kg.

I just wondered if the weight limit had gone up now I have cat c

noney82:

tachograph:

I just wondered if the weight limit had gone up now I have cat c

No it’s still the same for a B category vehicle, but you may be able to drive a heavier combination of car and trailer if you passed your car test before January 1997.

m1cks:
You already had the right to tow a trailer with your car. As long as it doesn’t weigh over 750kgs.

Incorrect

On a B only licence a trailer over 750 kgs plated MAM van be towed provided one simple extra rule on top of the usual towing rules is complied with … that one extra rule is …

… the GVW of the towing vehicle added to the trailer MAM must not total more than 3500 kgs

This made up example is legal on a B only licence …
Vehicle
GVW 2000
Towing capacity 1400

Trailer/caravan
plated MAM/MTPLM 1500 but actually weighing 1400

ROG, to be crystal clear, your example is true for a post 97 B only license?

(I have a colleague who is adamant he can’t tow a tiny car trailer and I’d love to see him do some of the tip runs!)

I passed in 2000

th2013:
ROG, to be crystal clear, your example is true for a post 97 B only license?

(I have a colleague who is adamant he can’t tow a tiny car trailer and I’d love to see him do some of the tip runs!)

Yes but if you passed the car test pre January 1997 you’re better off, pre January 1997 licence holders can drive a combination of car and trailer with a gross weight of up-to 8.25 tonnes.

Towing with a car

noney82:
I passed in 2000

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

Paul

elmet training:

noney82:
I passed in 2000

Licences issued from 19 January 2013
From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

Paul

Not just from 19 jan 2013 - the laws for all post 1996 B licence holders are exactly the same

The GOV sites have many things written online and decided not to remove the old stuff which then confuses many on this issue

If they posted just the one set of current laws for those who passed car and DSA B+E tests after 1996 in plain English then it would be much easier