Slow Server

I need some edjemucation here, whats a tracert, what does it do?

tracert is the microsoft shorthand for the command traceroute and it does largely what it sounds like, in that it traces the route data takes through the internet from your machine to whatever other host you specify and details it to you on the screen. Each line shown (known as a “hop”) is some kind of network device (usually a router) on the internet between you and wherever you’re tracing to. It also shows the “round trip time” for information to get from you to each hop and back so you can get an idea as to where the delay is if a connection is being slow.

I hope that makes sense.

Paul

Trubrit:

And more to the point why would you want to do one?

If the website doesnt work or is slow, accept it, open the door and smell the fresh air.

If I do a trace, what can I do to speed some telephone wires up in America?

repton:
tracert is the microsoft shorthand for the command traceroute and it does largely what it sounds like, in that it traces the route data takes through the internet from your machine to whatever other host you specify and details it to you on the screen. Each line shown (known as a “hop”) is some kind of network device (usually a router) on the internet between you and wherever you’re tracing to. It also shows the “round trip time” for information to get from you to each hop and back so you can get an idea as to where the delay is if a connection is being slow.

I hope that makes sense.

Paul

Pretty much, thanks

Wheel Nut:

Trubrit:

And more to the point why would you want to do one?

If the website doesnt work or is slow, accept it, open the door and smell the fresh air.

If I do a trace, what can I do to speed some telephone wires up in America?

A trace route lets us know where hold ups occur on the network, at this moment there are two different routes to the TruckNet UK server, your ISP determines which route should be used. one maybe slower than the other due to routers on route.

WE cannot talk to the ISP’s unless we have facts and figuers to back it up.
for example an internet backbone provider (limelight) has today been blocked by a forum with oer 20.000 subscibers and that forces the ISP’s to reroute,

If we dont have the information we cant take any action

The simple solution (depending on what the problems is) is to either

1. Buy more bandwidth
  2. Buy more servers
  3. Move host

There is no need for this tracert bollox as the problem lies in either 1. or 2. above. Find out which one it is and then fix it, or take the easy way out and choose 3.

Rob, the internet isnt as clear-cut as that. Connecting each country together are several ‘pipes’ cables. ALL internet traffic flows through them, they are run by different companies and can at their own leisure block certain websites using their ‘pipe’.

These Pipe operators could be likened to us truckers, in that all the internet information is trunked from one terminal to the other, but optically using Fibre Optic cables.

After you get the Internet ‘Motorways’ out the way there are then the ‘A Roads’ which criss cross across each country. and at each junction / destination there is a router which eaither forwards your data along to the next router up the ‘road’ or if its the router for the website your looking at, it redirects the data to the webserver.

All this happens in less than 100 milli seconds usually. Problems start occuring when a router devlops a problem (the routers are owned by Internet Service Providers, Not Website Hosting Companies) it has a knock-on effect down the line causing all traffic after that ‘hop’ to be slower responding too. quite often the router will ‘timeout’ meaning it didnt respond within an acceptable time period.

However at the end of the Tracert posted above. i suspect that those hops didnt respond as they were firewalled. ( A Defensive barrier to help stop attacks from hackers).

Before anyone says - Yes i am a bit of a geek :stuck_out_tongue:

BigJon:
Rob, the internet isnt as clear-cut as that. Connecting each country together are several ‘pipes’ cables. ALL internet traffic flows through them, they are run by different companies and can at their own leisure block certain websites using their ‘pipe’.

These Pipe operators could be likened to us truckers, in that all the internet information is trunked from one terminal to the other, but optically using Fibre Optic cables.

After you get the Internet ‘Motorways’ out the way there are then the ‘A Roads’ which criss cross across each country. and at each junction / destination there is a router which eaither forwards your data along to the next router up the ‘road’ or if its the router for the website your looking at, it redirects the data to the webserver.

All this happens in less than 100 milli seconds usually. Problems start occuring when a router devlops a problem (the routers are owned by Internet Service Providers, Not Website Hosting Companies) it has a knock-on effect down the line causing all traffic after that ‘hop’ to be slower responding too. quite often the router will ‘timeout’ meaning it didnt respond within an acceptable time period.

However at the end of the Tracert posted above. i suspect that those hops didnt respond as they were firewalled. ( A Defensive barrier to help stop attacks from hackers).

Before anyone says - Yes i am a bit of a geek :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for the idiots guide on how the internet works. As I jointly run my own successful hosting company of 15 years with several thousand clients I think I might just know how it all works :unamused: . You might like to take a look HERE (and at the other posts on that page) to get an idea of our operation (btw, Speedy is me - it’s an old username of mine).

My comments in my previous post still stand. It really isn’t any more complicated than that, regardless of how one wishes to dress it up.

As another update on what has been going on with our connection.

Today we are finally back on our fibre pipe after a weeks delay due to more faulty splice connections it was finally released back to my provider late last night and I had the tech here early this morning to do final setup and test before moving the network back to it. So far looks like everything is moving pretty good.

So this should be the last of our network issues, finally :unamused:

Brian

Rob: your questions and solutions have already been addressed in my previous post but thanks for your input.

techman:
So this should be the last of our network issues, finally :unamused:

:smiley: Thanks very much techman