Six weekly checks, increasing the inspection period?

I’m a restricted licence holder, running four small new wagons in total. We are a small construction company (Civils & Surfacing)

Presently, we are on a six week/42 day inspection regime but the mileage we cover in that time ranges from 1500 to 2800 miles. Our trucks are all driven by the same driver daily. We only work 5 day weeks.

How hard and fast are the rules to the checks? Can I extend the period to, say, 8/9 weeks, given the low mileage covered (obviously in agreement with the TC) or is this a no-no?

Any real-world advice/experience would be gratefully received.

You can go up to 13 weeks between safety inspections, ours are 12 weekly but we agreed that when we applied for our O’licence. But don’t just change your inspection periods before you’ve informed and had it agreed by the TC.

Not totally sure how you’d change it when you’ve got an O’licence, but I think you’ll probably have to get a new contract agreed with your maintenance provider (if you have one) and send that with an explanation as to why you wish to change to the DSVA or office of the Traffic commissioner for your area. If I were in your position I’d call the DVSA and ask their advice on changing the agreed periods, I’ve always found them very helpful.

There is a guidance chart for safety inspection on page 39 of the following publication.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/321988/guide-to-maintaining-roadworthiness.pdf

Thank you, that’s real useful info. Will have a read and perhaps call them up to see how the land lies.

Make a decision about how long you want your inspection interval to be. Speak to your maintenance provider if you use one about their views, and look at the defects that are cropping up on the reports. If you pick up quite a few defects every inspection then don’t decrease the frequency. Once you’ve made the decision, write to the licensing authority telling them what you are going to do. You don’t have to ask permission. Put in the letter the reasons you are changing, even if it is to save money, and put in your evidence, I.e. Good ocrs score, not many defects being picked up on inspections, low mileage etc. then monitor your new inspection regime to make sure it’s working.

Wonderful info, thank you. I’ll let you know how things pan out.