Sheffield Train Tram

Am I the first to comment on this?
Umpteen years of development and 5 times overbudget the sheffield Tram Train made its debut yesterday with huge fanfare.Rammed a 6 wheeler at a junction on Attercliffe Road.News claims tram had lights in favour.No serious injuries fortunately but it would take a heart of stone not to smile.In many European cities looking out for trams is an extra hazard.

The flatbed looks like a caravan dweller with a paving machine.

If it can push a truck 30 feet and push down a lamppost, what on earth is it going to do if a car gets in the way?

Sounds like these things should be blocked off like normal trains instead of bring mixed up with the traffic. Always hated the ones in Nottingham which zigzag across the roads.

similar thing hitachai were testing the new highspeed trains around London last week I think. brought down the power lines brought the network to a halt all day

Used to deliver to Gleadless in Sheffield to a shop through a tight gate on a corner,also thrown into the mix you had to reverse over a tram line guarantee as soon as you start backing in a tram would appear at the brow of the hill so you had to pull out again :laughing:

xichrisxi:
Used to deliver to Gleadless in Sheffield to a shop through a tight gate on a corner,also thrown into the mix you had to reverse over a tram line guarantee as soon as you start backing in a tram would appear at the brow of the hill so you had to pull out again [emoji38]

So your well experienced at pulling out then [emoji2962] [emoji23]

There’s not enough trams over here for people to be aware of them even though common sense suggests that something which is more metal, heavier and larger would win in a collision situation.

Go abroad and see how trams integrate with traffic in say Brussels, or Amsterdam. They work because there’s more awareness.

There’s not enough low bridges for drivers to be aware of either it seems… so this is another way to delay train services… Maybe if they designed these things to run on bridges 17 feet above the road there might be less issues, or would that put a lot of bridge inspectors out of a job■■?
[.quote=“toonsy”]There’s not enough trams over here for people to be aware of them even though common sense suggests that something which is more metal, heavier and larger would win in a collision situation.

Go abroad and see how trams integrate with traffic in say Brussels, or Amsterdam. They work because there’s more awareness.
[/quote]

invent trams as an alternative to buses,
realize trams are completely useless as an alternative to buses.
scrap the lot of them ad rip up all the tram lines.
wait 40 years then decide they would be an alternative to buses.
build new trams and rip up the roads laying new tram lines.
completely strangle the city further in the name of progress and modernisation. :unamused:

dieseldog999:
invent trams as an alternative to buses,
realize trams are completely useless as an alternative to buses.
scrap the lot of them ad rip up all the tram lines.
wait 40 years then decide they would be an alternative to buses.
build new trams and rip up the roads laying new tram lines.
completely strangle the city further in the name of progress and modernisation. :unamused:

Nailed it :laughing:

Bring back trolleybuses!

DD you’ve been to Sheffield then :smiley: , hope you were wearing your stab vest soon to be a H&S requirement the way this place is going :unamused: .
The tram/train thing is up and running (I don’t know what into) again, apparently.
On Thursday on my way home, from a run out on the bike, isn’t retirement wonderful, I got caught up in the M1 J34 closure but managed to get past most it. Of course the surrounding roads are gridlocked so I went around the back streets down Staniforth road with the intention of turning on to Woodburn road to find some idiot had tried to pick up a broken down train on his recovery vehicle, that wasn’t broken down before he got in front of it.

youtu.be/mshJ7L3VGj8

the tram alway’s win’s :slight_smile: