Scammell Scarab or Ford drive. PLEASE HELP

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me, my father used to drive a Scammell Scarab for British Rail. Whilst talking to him the other day his face lit up when I asked him about what it was like. I was wondering if anyone has a working scarab he could sit in and briefly drive, it would make his day. He also drove an old ford but I don’t recall the model. Having the opportunity for him to drive one of these trucks for a brief moment would be a real treat. He lives in Warwickshire. Any help would be greatly appreciated … Thank you in advance.

well first of all where do you live■■? secondly is there a steam or truck show near where you live or are you willing to travel.
i’am certain someone will take your dad round the arena on a show day… knowing where you live would help.
John

Try the Mechanical Horse Club. They will know of any near to you. Peter

meintheuk:
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me, my father used to drive a Scammell Scarab for British Rail. Whilst talking to him the other day his face lit up when I asked him about what it was like. I was wondering if anyone has a working scarab he could sit in and briefly drive, it would make his day. He also drove an old ford but I don’t recall the model. Having the opportunity for him to drive one of these trucks for a brief moment would be a real treat. He lives in Warwickshire. Any help would be greatly appreciated … Thank you in advance.

Well there is a Scarab in working condition still about, I saw it at a show at South Shore a year or two back at Blackpool, So Im sure if you have a rummage around you will come up trumps and make your old mans day, Regards Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

meintheuk:

Well there is a Scarab in working condition still about, I saw it at a show at South Shore a year or two back at Blackpool, So Im sure if you have a rummage around you will come up trumps and make your old mans day, Regards Larry.

the Walsh lads who go to Llandudno made a motorhome out of one about 3 years ago…theirs a Scarab long wheel base at the Burton museum… theres a couple on the steam scene, one chap goes round and round in the lorries length… brilliant…one chap who has one lives in Sheffield, thats why i asked where you live.

Thanks for the replies guys, he lives near henley in arden in Warwickshire, will have a look out for steam shows, the other truck he drove was a D series Ford, again, not sure if any are still operating. Any help finding a scarab or a D series would be a real treat. Thanks again for your support. Matthew.

Henley in Harden…your on the door step for the two Gaydon truck shows. ones in June your dad will love that. thay have
about 500 trucks there of all years i’d think he would be in heaven just looking at the old fodens and commers google
gaydon truck show and click on images…if and when you go don’t be scared of saying to owners what your dads driven.
John

Great news, I will look out for the Gayden show, please keep posting with any more suggestions, and thank you to everyone that had posted, it is much appreciated.

Bulmers of Hereford ( the cider makers ) have a Scammell 3 wheeler in their museum you can or should phone them to ask where you can view it.

meintheuk:
Great news, I will look out for the Gayden show, please keep posting with any more suggestions, and thank you to everyone that had posted, it is much appreciated.

Took this picture at Gayden a few years ago, I’m sure I’ve seen it there since

Photo0097.jpg

Ossie

OssieD:

meintheuk:

Took this picture at Gayden a few years ago, I’m sure I’ve seen it there since

Ossie

Belongs to M A Jordan(Tony) of Merrylees, Desford, Leicestershire.

Show dad this article there is a pic of one used on the railways.
Click on each page to read as focus will improve for reading.

a scarab was restored on salvage squad its on youtube this is the link hope it works if not type in on youtube salvage squad mechanical horse . youtu.be/HjAwPFzoUlw