Sat Nav can be Dangerous.....Official

Click here.

How long before it goes the way of mobile phones?

Just down to bad driving at the end of the day.

same as doing your hair while driving, retuning the radio, trying to find the Cd behind the seat, reading the map… all of which are currently illegal, as is fiddling with the satnav while driving. :wink:

“Our research shows even satellite navigation equipment, if used incorrectly, can lead to driver danger,” said Ian Parker, Privilege’s managing director.

Nuff said.

Would not want to run up and down his football pitches.
60 mph =90 feet per second x10 =900 feet divided by 2 = football pitch 450 feet long. I would be tired.

dennisw1:
Just down to bad driving at the end of the day.

same as doing your hair while driving, retuning the radio, trying to find the Cd behind the seat, reading the map… all of which are currently illegal, as is fiddling with the satnav while driving. :wink:

The offence being driving without due care and attention.

If a driver sets the sat nav before setting out on a journey, there should be no need to touch it or for that matter look at it. All sat navs these days have voice guided instructions so the driver can concentrate on the road and just listen to instructions.

“The new technology, rather than helping motorists, could be even more distracting than trying to read a map at the wheel, it added.”

WHAT UTTER DRIVEL.

Sets the tone of the whole article TBH.

killsville:
If a driver sets the sat nav before setting out on a journey, there should be no need to touch it or for that matter look at it. All sat navs these days have voice guided instructions so the driver can concentrate on the road and just listen to instructions.

Ah but how many men do you know listen a woman when she’s giving directions? :smiley::

What kind of numpty dosn’t set the sat nav to a place they dont know before they leave■■?

north surrey haulage:
Ah but how many men do you know listen a woman when she’s giving directions? :smiley::

Certainly not me! I’ve got mine set to mans voice!

What kind of numpty dosn’t set the sat nav to a place they dont know before they leave■■?

Me! :blush:

Example - going from base to central Birmingham, approx 175 miles. Probably only need the sat nav for the last 10 miles, so I’ll program it on route.

Chatting to my hairdresser last year (clippers all over, as usual!), she said she was asking hubby for a sat nav as a Christmas present. So I asked why she needed it. She says she does home visits on a Friday to regular customers. So I ask if she knows where they all are, and she says yes. So why does she need a sat nav — to save her time she says■■?

Are there loads of people buying sat nav as some kind of fashion accessory? Seems a bit pointless for regular runs or the odd visit to see Auntie Mable (necessary to secure inheritance!).

Im with the survey, Everyone on the road from a beaten up nova to a top of the range 4x4 all seem to have folk faffing with these instruments of doom.

Im going to go along with the belief of the earth being flat, if you travel more than 12 mph your face will fall off and ,“sending men to the moon” ha, never in our lifetime :stuck_out_tongue:

Does anyone share my worry that all these satellite signals bouncing off each other are eventually going to cause one big snarl up?

Never mind, when I am sat in the jam, I can set fire to my maps to boil the kettle and keep warm :smiley:

there has been a big increase in the number of people that are buying these devices at the moment alot of people will turn it on and just use it and will follow where ever it says to go and moan when it wont take thenm the down the ratrun they normally use the same goes for low bridges and weight limits week bridges non of the navigation companies will use the data although it is supplied or collect but the map liecense would be to much the same goes for hgv specific satnav the market wouldnt support the cost of development. im also involved in test up coming products piror to release for certain comanies and currently have around 4 or 5 different pices of navigation software for pocketpc as well as one all in one device would it go back to maps no i would when used properly the navigation is safer than using a map full stop there many options in the menus of these devices to help you force the routing

the survey is partly right setting your destination while drive is dangerous yes and there is much more information to takin in with road side advertiseing mobilephones, driver information signs etc but the satnav thing is a headline grabber only probbably because hes jelous that the aa got a navigation porduct out and the rac hadnt bothered

killsville:

north surrey haulage:

Certainly not me! I’ve got mine set to mans voice!

Me neither. Got mine programmed with Ozzy Osbourne’s voice. Its the mutts nuts. Certainly makes a bad day better.

alix776:
there has been a big increase in the number of people that are buying these devices at the moment alot of people will turn it on and just use it and will follow where ever it says to go and moan when it wont take thenm the down the ratrun they normally use the same goes for low bridges and weight limits week bridges non of the navigation companies will use the data although it is supplied or collect but the map liecense would be to much the same goes for hgv specific satnav the market wouldnt support the cost of development…

Satnavs don’t know about the LBTS when running to London either.

I know of an agency driver who used to drive for us who hit a bridge in Surrey because he had relied solely on the satnav.

Unfortunately for him, the traffic police were watching him. He was well off his LBTS - and they knew it! So he got done for the bridge and the LBTS :frowning:

I have tomtom, but give me a mapbook any day of the week.

And if I still get really lost - I ASK somebody the way. :wink:

I think one problem is that people, who have no map reading ability or much of a sense of direction, buy a SatNav and think it is the answer to all their problems. It’s not; if you have no idea on how to read a map then you will not be able to use SatNav. It is only an electronic map and if someone treats it as more than that then they are on a loser straight away. It is also not a matter of just switching the thing on and using it straight from the box, no matter how much the makers tell you it is. You still need to customise it to your preferences and then fine tune it as you use it and learn its weaknesses.

It amazes me the number of times I have seen people on here claiming SatNav is rubbish because it sent them a way they didn’t want to go and they wouldn’t go that way. Why did they follow the SatNav when they knew it wasn’t sending them the right way or a way that suited their vehicle, not a very bright thing to do.

If you plan a route to a delivery you have never been to before in an area you don’t know, sing a map you choose a route and set off. If you then find the route you have chosen is unsuitable because of some kind of restriction or simply a turning is to tight for the vehicle you re-plan, SatNav does exactly that only quicker.

Maps do nothing that a SatNav can’t do, when used properly, but the SatNav has several advantages over maps, no need to even refer to it once the route has been chosen with voice directions for instance

Satnavs don’t know about the LBTS when running to London either.

why would you expec\t it know about lbts it designed for a car
unfortunatly most maps of london dont know about lbts either as for low bridges how can a satnav be blamed for hitting a bridge there are enough signs before them

how many times to you have to sayit sat nav is driving AID only

though coffee does hit the nail on the head many people just buy one and expect it to know everything ie there expectaion is to high as to what data is in the map i know im generalising here but most truck drivers do suffer from this

here one i had recenlty

i carry a magnetic sticker on the back of my cab that has the website in my signiture on it. while in dartford docks one day a driver asked me if speed cameras would go on his tomtom go i said yes gave him a card and asked him how he found the routing he sid ok but it kept trying to send him the shortest route to a destination he waqs about to bin it as he thought it was rubbish so i had a look in planning preferences (he didnt know it was there ) and changed it to limited at 54mph also i showed how to use the menu functions to force the routing and how to use the avoid both of which he didnt know where there and him how to put the speed cameras on it and activate them. the point being he just bought it and plugged it in a away he went all said and good for car how ever for truck a little fine tuning is called for.

low bridges
non of the navigation companies are interested in hgvs full stop there isnt a market for it it that simple ive spoken to many comanies about it

weight limits

no company will take responsibility for the data as it changes to often also no maps show weight limits

You wouldn’t expect it to know about LBTS alix, I was just highlighting another problem :wink:

I think it’s fair to say that both maps and satnav have their uses.

Im trying to imagine Ozzie Osbourne giving directions :stuck_out_tongue:

turn zb left you zb, or I havent got a zb clue where we zb are