Salvesen? and driving assesment?

I made a speculative approach to an advert for a vacancy at my local christian salvesen depot at normanton. I have been contacted today and asked to go down on wednesday for a Driving assesment, Medical, And interview :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Having just been really on the one contract :open_mouth: even though i am an agency driver at the moment leaves me with a couple of questions.

What are Salvesen like to work for? :question:
Do they do different types of work? :question:

What should i expect at this driving assesment? :question:

One good thing is they are fully aware of my limited experience on class one :blush: and still invited me to this so they shouldnt be expecting the earth (i hope)

Salvesens are OK. Straight running. Its pretty much all chilled/frozen.

A driving assessment will involve taking you out on a route with a bit of reversing back at the yard.

Bones:
What should i expect at this driving assesment? :question:

I’ve been on a few ‘assessments’ over the years and now , amongst other things, am a Fam Trg (Familiarisation Trainer). I also carry out driving assessments on new drivers and also on drivers who have been involved in any accident or incident (part of the post-accident procedures we are required to complete).

I would suggest that you treat the assessment the same as you did your test. Pay attention to detail (i.e. mirror checks, economical and controlled use of clutch - gears - accelerator etc). The main difference here is that there is no need to be ‘nervous’ as your experience will show through. The assessments I do include tacho’s and drivers hours regs, safely pick-up and drop-off a trailer etc.

Having said all that, I know that some assessors are not looking for ‘by the book’ driving, just a realistic approach to driving (which isn’t always the same as what the test requires!!) and safety.

PM me if you want me to email you a copy of the driving assessment sheets I use. I also have the examiners marking sheet for the practical part of the vocational driving test.

What Marcus says is true but i would especially highlight the economy thing if you are booting it everywhere they wont want you, keep it moving at all costs and in the highest gear you can.

cheers people will let you know how it goes wednesday!

dont worry about it…drive normally…you dont have to drive like a lunatic just safely and most of the time the assessment is carried out by a fellow driver so as long as you dont frighten him to death .youll be ok and will pass with flying colours…most of the drive could be in the local cafe…myself…i dont take assessments now.but if asked to i always say that i can drive better than the asessor…so who tests him…of course i dont get the job…but i only go for the wind up…
have a nice day

Marcus is right. Take it easy and don’t worry. If you’re any good at all it will show and small errors will be discounted.
When Paul Gauthier took me for the ‘petit tour’ he drove 5 k then turned it round and we swopped over. First thing I did was put the nearside wheels on the grass verge because it had been years since I had driven a left ■■■■■■ on the right. He was halfway across the cab, not to take the wheel but because he thought we were going in the ditch!
No problem, got the job, he recognised the reason for the the mistake and could see the basics were right.

Salut, David.

Thanks will seewhat the job entails tomorrow. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good luck tomorrow Bones :smiley:

Use the mirrors and keep the rev counter in the GREEN.Good luck.

I thought about contacting Salvesens myself, there is a depot here in Leigh, about 1and half miles from me, so it would be handy. Does anyone know what the money is like, hours, overtime availability, etc? I had a look on their site, but it doesnt give such info. all you need to be is over 21, 6 months driving experience, the usual. Sounds like they take just about anyone.

Any ideas?

Thanks