Routemasters bbc2

loved the last episode was a lot of old faces i worked with on the buses and off the buses but now on the buses if that makes sense :grimacing:

kemaro:
Anybody been watching this series ? …

Thanks for bringing it up,I’ve never heard of it. Unfortunately,I’m still on the buses in Rossendale. I’ve just watched five minutes of it and I’m stressed out :smiling_imp: :smiley:

truckyboy:
Yeah, its an interesting program, i trained on an RT ( the one B4 the RM ) then drove the RM,

They must have been the crash gearboxes,I’d like to give one a go

truckyboy:
We would also change the destination, and pull into Northumberland Avenue stand, and if anyone came up to us ( like an inspector/jumper ) we would say, My clippie had been assaulted, and needed to rest. There were a lot of things we would get away with

I heard of the one where two drivers,one pretending to be blind,being guided into the cab :laughing: That can’t be done now,as the Traffic Commissioner will get involved

truckyboy:
they were very strict with timings, we would get booked for running early, and get booked for running late, which meant a visit to see the garage manager, who would reprimand you.

Still are,but situations can’t be helped

truckyboy:
There were also silent inspectors, who would travel on your bus, to make sure the ride was as smooth as can be, another reprimand if it wasnt, and./or dismissal, more often it was back to Chiswick for re-training, and sometimes another test.

The alternative is employ the general public to watch the conduct of the driver towards passengers

truckyboy:
It was a great job though, and i did enjoy the training, and at the end, a test and a go on the skid pan ( which was a waste of time, as the roads in London wasnt wide enough for a full skid circle, but great fun. Privatisation was the worst thing to happen, although warranted.

I’ve never seen the sense of the skid pad,a bus never gets up to speed,as seen on skid pads

Essexboy:
Was a good insight into the job though,good starting pay £26k

I’ve heard that,it’s not bad,but rent is expensive down there

espresso:
I find London fascinating, and love to visit for upto about 4 days

oh god no,you must be mad

DAF95XF:

espresso:
I love any transport progs on London, I find them fascinating.
I find London fascinating, and love to visit for upto about 4 days, after that it’s back to my nice sleepy Lancashire village :slight_smile:

It’s the biggest [zb] going, can’t stand the place…

Me too, haven’t been for nearly 2 years cos my truck is too old. That’s set to change tho :imp:

truckyboy:
i trained on an RT

The first thing I ever drove was an RT at North Weald Airfield when I was about 8 years old!