Roll on, Roll off vehicle

Just seen a job advertised for Roll On, Roll Off driver (Class 2). What is that then?

Roll On, Roll Off sounds like something I do with the missus :laughing:

Skip wagon with a hook for pulling on and off skips of varying sizes

keano1:

pure class… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Its quite simple work mate just a bit of common sense needed. When you lift the bin on just make sure the runners on the bottom of the bin are on the guide wheels when the bin hits the truck and take it easy on the bends especally with a large bon on.

jessicas dad:

keano1:

pure class… :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

its the time taken between the 2 actions that is the important bit , it will vary between 30 seconds on the friday after you have just done 5 nights out and anything upto 10 minutes when you are fuelled by 9 pints of stella on the saturday night :laughing:

Like what smurfit kappa do, with the skips

:laughing: as a rollonoff driver myself heres a few tips if you ever try this kinda work ,always make sure the hook is fully connected to the bin before loading even if it means getting out the cab to double check, if it comes off mid lift at best it is very embarrising especially on a busy building site at worst the bin will smash the rear mud guards and lights,also before lifting check the rear door is securely locked, again at best the contents will come out and the door will buckle the hinges as its swings open as it goes up,at worst you will see in your mirror a 2 metre wide door swing open onto oncomming traffic as you head down the road ,when struggling for traction on landfills ect push the bin back a few feet so you get more weight on the drive axles,it is a doddle of a job only when you learn the basics,like everything else in life, hope this helps if you fancy life as a roro driver

im an ex hooklift driver, very easy job but as cat826 says make sure the hook is properly on the bin, i have had bins fall off mid lift and had been lucky that it just missed the truck, its mainly the new sorta halfhooks that are the problem, never had that problem with the full hook i had on my foden. that was a great truck.

keano1:
Just seen a job advertised for Roll On, Roll Off driver (Class 2). What is that then?

The one for Jark? If you don’t know, don’t apply. Its not summat you can learn properly in 5 minutes.

It was a roll on roll off lorry that nearly killed Boris Johnson was it not? the door swung open and caught a car, dragging it down the road just missing him on his bike

Conor:

keano1:

The one for Jark? If you don’t know, don’t apply. Its not summat you can learn properly in 5 minutes.

actually it is, i did and never once had a problem. you just take your time until you know what your properly doing

Have to agree with gogzy its not hard to learn the basics and you soon learn the tricks of the trade to do the awkward jobs. As with most aspects of hgv jobs its not rocket science jus common sense and we were all new to the job we do and had to learn at one time.

when i first got shown what to do i was shown in a new motor with a boughy (sp?) system…then got given a foden with a completly different system with no diagrams or words at the switches saying what they do…but i got taught the basics so just had to work out the controls.

but as somebody said always check the back door…or close it yourself if you can.

i only left the job because i got very bored when at work…was with my local council and id be lucky if i would empty 2 bins in an 8 hour shift.one day i had 4 and coulda did them but they wouldnt let me do more than 3. did work one day on the recycling site next to the landfill,only time ive ever got into double figures. 22 bins in 8 hours but the bins would be lucky to travel more than 500 yards to get emptied

Steve-o:
It was a roll on roll off lorry that nearly killed Boris Johnson was it not?

Don’t tell me, it was the same bloke they paid to have a go at Mrs. Thatcher at Brighton too?? :laughing:

leyland510:

Steve-o:
It was a roll on roll off lorry that nearly killed Boris Johnson was it not?

Don’t tell me, it was the same bloke they paid to have a go at Mrs. Thatcher at Brighton too?? :laughing:

If thats the case, I should hope said person is thoroughly ashamed of himself for f@@@@@g it up twice on the trot :blush: :blush:

A Scania Hook Lift of Smurfit Recycling (before it became Smurfit Kappa) take at Smurfit Tamworth

blimey mate, you dragged that one from the depths :smiley:

When hooking upto the bin just lift the front up a foot then drag it forward 2 foot, if it stops on you know your hooked up ok and ready to lift it on the wagon.