Richard Thorne

superswede10:
If you were sitting between Ritchie and Sammy Thorne, you,d be sitting funny too. Especially if
there was alcohol involved. Better to sit far away. :wink:

I like that its very true too :smiley:

superswede10:
The man himself, Richie Thorne on the left of both pictures with brother Sammy on the right.

Wasnt that F12 ā€œThe Red Baronā€, I remember Ned Kelly drove it after Richie, thats IIRC :open_mouth:

GS OVERLAND:
Heres a pic of me and Black Billy (Bill Hall) at Oktay in Istanbul one Easter on our way home from Doha.

GS

Can we still say Black these days? Isā€™nt it deemed as being racist in this wonderful political correct world we live in now?

fly sheet:

superswede10:
The man himself, Richie Thorne on the left of both pictures with brother Sammy on the right.

Wasnt that F12 ā€œThe Red Baronā€, I remember Ned Kelly drove it after Richie, thats IIRC :open_mouth:

would that Ned Kelly be from Dublin by any chance?

Ned Kelly was from Darlingtonā€¦

fly sheet:
Ned Kelly was from Darlingtonā€¦

He certainly was John. :laughing:
The first time that I met Ned (Nick) Kelly was in the Mocamp while I was waiting for Ayden to fit a new head gasket but I canā€™t remember if Ned was driving for Duncan Mcrea or Taffy Davisā€™s ex wife Audrey on A Line. Midway through an Efes control one very hot June summers afternoon Ned and I decided to walk over to the reception to see if any telexā€™s had come through. As we opened the door to the office the cold air of the air conditioner suddenly hit us like somebody had just thrown a bucket of ice cold water over us, ahhh bliss. :smiley:
The Turks behind the counter screamed at us to close the door to keep out the hot air from the outside.
A few minutes later the door opened again and in walked two Americans wearing Tee shirts with the logo Y.M.C.A. New York. The guy was built like the proverbial toilet block, he looked like a U.S. Marine with his close cropped crew cut hair style and he must of been over six feet tall. He was wearing a big pair of hiking boots and shorts and the backpack that he was carrying wasnā€™t that much smaller than a minivan.
It was his girl friend that caught my eye and obviously Neds too, she was also wearing a big pair of hiking boots, shorts and she was carrying a much smaller backpack which still must of been very heavy in the outside heat as she and her Tee shirt were absolutely covered in sweat. I canā€™t remember what really drew my attention or my fascination to her, was it the logo on the Tee shirt or the pair of organ stops underneath it that appeared to be getting bigger and bigger as the air conditioning began to do itā€™s job.
The girl walked up to the desk, she stood next to Ned and asked the receptionist had they got a room for the night.
Ned put down the telexā€™s that he was reading, he put the left side of his face on top of the counter and slid his face to about six inches away from the girls tee shirt. A loud gruff American voice roared from behind ā€œwhat the hell are you looking at fellowā€.
Ned stood upright and said ā€œyou havenā€™t walked all the way from New York have youā€. :laughing:
Ned Kelly, another one of those long forgotten Middle East characters, I hope he is still around. :slight_smile:

Morning all Ive not seen Ritchie for a long time somewhere in my Archives I have a pic of him me and my late wife Susan going into the Blue Mosque in Topkapi circa 1984.Not so many years later he had a 142 which he totalled into the trees not far from the W3hitehouse he was loaded with JCBs for Turkey new not 2nd hand . Steve Chambers died several years ago he was out of the game and was repairing and servicing trailers based in Dukinfield. Crow.

The old git is still with us , however he is no a reformed character doesnt drink smoke and not at all agressive any moreā€¦

Muchā€¦i only known ritchie for 5 yrs now, and he aounds exactly same now S he used to be this pic taken in suez port in 2012 en route to doha with tents for qatar day

geoffthecrowtaylor:
Morning all Ive not seen Ritchie for a long time somewhere in my Archives I have a pic of him me and my late wife Susan going into the Blue Mosque in Topkapi circa 1984.Not so many years later he had a 142 which he totalled into the trees not far from the W3hitehouse he was loaded with JCBs for Turkey new not 2nd hand . Steve Chambers died several years ago he was out of the game and was repairing and servicing trailers based in Dukinfield. Crow.

Hello Geoff, at the back of my mind I have a feeling that Richies brother Sammy had a bad smash somewhere in Czecho, about mid 80ā€™s.
The house that he half demolished had a tarpaulin sheet over it for quite a few months I.I.R.C. it was somewhere between Pilzen and Klatovy Vary on the old road.
Hope you are well.

Regards Steve.

richmond:
The old git is still with us , however he is no a reformed character doesnt drink smoke and not at all agressive any moreā€¦

Is the Rabbit doing a foot manicure for Richie?

Steve Chambers died several years ago he was out of the game and was repairing and servicing trailers based in Dukinfield. :frowning: :frowning:
Steve cant have been that old!!

Belive it or not thats exactly what rabs was doin god richie had some claws on him rabs got the job of sortin em out :smiley:

roders:
Belive it or not thats exactly what rabs was doin god richie had some claws on him rabs got the job of sortin em out :smiley:

No thats a definanition of a mate,ā€¦lol

geoffthecrowtaylor:

I always got on well with Richie & have a had a few good nights/days with Him & He knows His way round a lorry, had some good tips off Him about keeping old Volvos going too. As for Steve Chambers Geoff He was bloody funny to have an hour with, its very sad that He died so young really. I seem to remember Him writing the lorry off on the M6 after going all the way to the M/E in it on His way home. " No Wife Ace Life" FFS how we all laughedā€¦

Mushrooman in recent years Ned drove for Maurice Gray & after Maurice passed away Intersped bought a couple of Maurices trucks & Ned drove for them, iirc He totalled the DAF He was driving for them going down around Verona I think, & I donā€™t know what the heck Heā€™s up to know.

He drove The Red Baron for Richie when I first met Him, nice bloke Ned, Iā€™m good friends with Maurices son next time He rings Me Iā€™ll ask Him what Mr Kelly is up toā€¦

When we finished that trip we ended up in a hotel in bahrain, for a laugh i gave ritchie a playfull thump( i know stupid or what,only a playfull one)he said what ya done that for bub, i said to him i just wanted to say i had given ritchie thorn a thump,at which point he thumped me back, however his wasnt so playfull,not sure just how old he is, but he still got a big fist and some power behind it, if he can catch ya , your going downā€¦lol

David H:
Gavin, Alan Woods drove/is driving for Autofrakt based in Tollarp, Sweden.

GAVIN SMITH I REMEMBER WHEN IWAS 18 YEAR OLD.I HOPE SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER ME I WAS A SHOSHINE AND MECHANIKER AT THE LONDRA CAMPING. ı know roy axell rıchard thorne and odhers

yucel:

David H:
Gavin, Alan Woods drove/is driving for Autofrakt based in Tollarp, Sweden.

GAVIN SMITH I REMEMBER WHEN IWAS 18 YEAR OLD.I HOPE SOMEONE WILL REMEMBER ME I WAS A SHOSHINE AND MECHANIKER AT THE LONDRA CAMPING. ı know roy axell rıchard thorne and odhers

Hi Yucel
I remember youā€¦Shoes Abi ? shoes paintā€¦how are you ? What are you doing now ?
Best regards
Gavin

Last saw Richie Thorne on the Saudi side of the Jordanian / Saudi border at Haditha in 2002 where we all took shay together - all pleasant and civilised. I was on the border from the 1st to the 5th of April waiting to be cleared. Everything was a bit slow because of the volume of livestock transporters bringing sheep in for Eid al-Adha - feet dropping off through the slats etc (usual disregard for anything whatsoever!). I seem to remember quite a clutch of Middle-Easters being present on that occasion: Barry Barnes, Dave Poulton, ā€˜Alluminiumā€™ Andy, Richie Thorne, Trevor Dodwell and someone else - canā€™t remember now who (was it Billy Tingle?)ā€¦Long time ago. Robert

Thank you very much, Mr. Gavin. I am currently 42 years old ā€¦ and Iā€™m doing welding work on the concrete pump machine service.After many years of very good to see you

If you came to Istanbul number is +905372132329. I offer my respects.

meanwhile facebook contact address (yĆ¼celmorkoƧ@windowslive.co I) by the way my englısh ıs not good lıke years agou . ım use translater program
seee you and best regards.