Reversing distance

Hi all,

I only have class c, and drive 7.5 and vans mostly but something I struggle with in c and even some 7.5 vehicles, is reversing towards a door, wall etc, I find it difficult to judge my distance from the object, fine with things in the mirrors, its directly behind I struggle, where possible I get someone to watch me back and always use goal if not. Dles this just come with time or any theirs hints anyone can offer (I already use the head out the window technique). Heaven help me if I ever have a forklift on the back!!

Cheers

Karl

get out have a look,if for eg your 10ft away look for a marker ie a stone or something approx 10ft from your front wheel and reverse until your about level with it, or edge slowly back untill you feel the" bump" :laughing: :laughing:

Put something/marker on the floor level with the rearmost part of your truck so you can see it from the o/s mirror

From the driving seat see if any permanent part of the truck lines up with that marker by looking in the o/s mirror

Now when you reverse you will have a point on the truck that lines up on the floor with where your rearmost part is

With my 7.5 tonner, I had visual markers on the side. For docks and reversing towards walls I would back up till the 6th buckle lined up with kerb/bottom of wall. The 4th buckle marked where the wheel was. and the 9th buckle was indication of tail lift reach.

Like anything to do with reversing, time/experience curve will improve. Like you, I sometimes struggle with this, especially if there is an uncoupled trailer or vehicle behind me in a yard. I GOAL (get out and look) it, and pace from where the I want the rearmost part of the trailer to be to where the back of the trailer actually is. I then go to the drivers doorstep and pace the same distance from there down towards the back and pick a spot on the ground or leave a marker. Carry out the reverse so that the step is in line with the marker. That should put the back of the trailer roughly in the spot where you want it to be.

Clunk:
With my 7.5 tonner, I had visual markers on the side. For docks and reversing towards walls I would back up till the 6th buckle lined up with kerb/bottom of wall. The 4th buckle marked where the wheel was. and the 9th buckle was indication of tail lift reach.

Brilliant example for what I was trying to explain :smiley:

Even after fifty years I was still useless at judging distance so I used the same method as slaphead44. If you chuck a stick, stone or brick where you need to line up the front wheel with, you’ll find that, with a bit of practice, you can get the animal in almost the exact position. Personally I wouldn’t use the “back up slowly until you feel it” method as you are likely to encounter something rather more delicate than a steel bar- maybe a nice shiny aluminium roller door or set of rear light lenses?

Many thanks to all for the help & tips above. Looks like it mostly comes with experience, but will definitely try the marker idea, both on the ground and on the truck :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Karl.

best piece of advice when reversing is to go slow !! … gives you more time to correct yourself and see how the wagon is responding, to were it needs to be . like anything comes with pratice and experience , mind you i still have the odd days were i totally make a balls up of it, lol :laughing:

KarlM:
Many thanks to all for the help & tips above. Looks like it mostly comes with experience, but will definitely try the marker idea, both on the ground and on the truck :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Karl.

The training school I learned at had two rigid trucks. On one of them there was a gap between the mudguard and the body which served as a good marker. On the other there wasn’t an easy marker, so apparently they drilled a small hole in the mudguard and put a cable tie on it so it looked repaired, and that served as a great little marker. I think they aren’t allowed to put ‘obvious’ aids on the vehicle but this was subtle enough to go unnoticed!
There’s always good old Get Out And Look (which the OP said they used) . I think you are even allowed to do this once during the test reversing exercise.