Retaining tachos

I thought I saw a posting somewhere on here but can’t find it now - where is it written down how long we have before having to return tacho charts after the 28days? One agency I use is starting texting asking for tachos after 21 days - the pre 01/01/08 cut-off.

42 days…

Thanks for that - anywhere in writing, so I can point 'em towards it?

If you retain 42 tachos. Then you retain 42 items of evidence.
Therefore wouldn’t it be better not to retain any?
If you keep a written record instead then there is no argument about charts. :wink:

Huh?? Sorry, no idea what you’re on about - don’t need evidence, just want to know, in writing preferably, how long before we are expected to return tacho charts to employers. I’ll take it as 14 days then.

You need to retain 28 days worth of charts.

Just a tip though…As an agency driver, I get mine photocopied, keep the copies and give the originals to the client. VOSA seem OK with the copies at a roadside check when I’ve explained.

Without looking it up…

The current week + 28 days.

Conor:
You need to retain 28 days worth of charts.

Just a tip though…As an agency driver, I get mine photocopied, keep the copies and give the originals to the client. VOSA seem OK with the copies at a roadside check when I’ve explained.

hope you don`t give em back to the customer on the dame day you do the assignment.
As you should retain them for 28+ days, then send em back to the agency, who generally get paid once the tachos are returned to the client via them

You must be able to produce records covering the current day + the previous 28 calendar days, so at any time you should be carrying records covering at least 29 days. These must be the original records, photocopies do not count and carrying photocopies instead of original records means an offence has been committed as you are not carrying records as required by the regulations and you could be prosecuted.

tallyman:
One agency I use is starting texting asking for tachos after 21 days

The agency should not be asking for the records. The regulations require the records to be returned to the transport company under whose orders you were driving, this means directly to the actual company you were driving for and not the agency.

The records must be returned within 42 days, counting from the day after the latest date to which the document relates. This means if you do a night shift tonight for instance which finishes tomorrow, 7th June, the 42 day period will begin counting from the 8th, the day after the last date the document relates. If you work today and finish today the 42 days will start counting from tomorrow. You can of course return them before the end of the 42 day period as long as you retain records for the current day and the previous 28 calendar days.

Conformation of the above can be found HERE and HERE

Thanks Coffeholic, in writing - just what wanted.

Generally I return tachos via agency as I work for a number of different companies so I take a copy and let the agency return them - easier for me to keep track of.