Restricted to 52mph......why?

My truck was set to 52 mph by the tacho firm at it’s five year check and that was way back in 1999! Seemed stupid to me when the limit was 60 but they said that they had to abide by the ‘new’ regulations. :confused:

Pete.

scotstrucker:
i asked the tacho guy at my local garage why there was a sticker on the drivers side window saying 85km/h which is 52mph but the speed limiter on the truck doesnt kick in till it is doing 90km/h which is 56mph.
the answer i got was that the law says it has too be set at 85km/h (52mph) but you can pay too have it set at 90km/h(56mph) as this is the 10% limit over the 85km/h that you can have

Then his maths is ■■■■, 85kmh + 10% = 93.5kmh, I’d ask for the other 3k’s :slight_smile:

Immigrant:
I fell out by DHL as i didnt go around with sticking to Speed Limit

Has anyone ever been reported for not sticking to the “vehicle limited to 40/50/52 mph” stickers on the rear of many lorries?
Most of the DHL ones I see with the “limited to 52 to reduce carbon emissions” pee past me when I’m doing 52…

so why do the americans run at 65 mph and 1100 rpms thet say that the most ecomical?

TRAILERS1:
so why do the americans run at 65 mph and 1100 rpms thet say that the most ecomical?

Because they’ve already tried the idea of running everywhere at 55 mph and found that it’s uneconomic because the small,if any, savings in fuel are outweighed by the loss in productivety. :bulb: :laughing:

so why dont we run at 65mph oh i know most guys maybe never driven a truck at 65-70 mph like we did in the 80 s

TRAILERS1:
so why dont we run at 65mph oh i know most guys maybe never driven a truck at 65-70 mph like we did in the 80 s

I came off coaches, and although modern ones are limited to 100kmh, older ones weren’t limited, and in coaches, there’s a LOT of old around, so got used to runnin’ around at 70mph, but I wouldn’t like to drive an artic at those speeds with the muppets on the road

TRAILERS1:

because nobody would be thinking of the children if they all drove at that speed

True … cutting the speed back saves fuel to a certain extent but when you cut it back too much it does the opposite. Our trucks were all set at 69mph then they changed them all to 66mph so we could drive in Canada when needed, se now use far more fuel due to not having enough speed to get a run at mountain climbs and dropping gears sooner. Surely 52 mph must use more fuel than 56mph ? how the hell do you get a run at things ?

I hav noticed that with my new truck 'Cascadia with a 450 DD13 the torque is amazingso it pulls like a train and in some hills where I would be down two cogs and 35mph I can still stay in top and it will drop to 50mph.

Even at 56 my lorry doesn’t touch the sweet spot on the rev counter.

During the early 70s I was on a Foden S21 with a 150 Gardner it’s top speed was 52mph we also had two newer ones with 180 Gardners and they managed 55mph now I dont know about the mpg as fuel was’nt such an issue then but what I can tell you the time diffrence was minimal Sanquhar to Whitefield Manchester was approx. 10 mins.difference, Good old Freddy Foden them were the days. Eddie.

Muckaway:

Good point ! … Every lorry i had from the mid 80’s onward in England had a green area on the rev counter which was most economical to run at, if you can’t reach that there’s no point, Going a lot slower than the others causes huge traffic hold ups, impatient drivers and accidents.

Pat Hasler:

Muckaway:

Good point ! … Every lorry i had from the mid 80’s onward in England had a green area on the rev counter which was most economical to run at, if you can’t reach that there’s no point, Going a lot slower than the others causes huge traffic hold ups, impatient drivers and accidents.

I’ve driven our other 6w Alphas and all the others can touch it except mine I reckon mine’s short by 150 rpm…Then again I can get 10mpg, the others Round 7.5.

shuttlespanker:
Animal, are you standing? Because you are going to be corrected :wink:

I had a 530BHp DAF Superspace, if I ran it at 56 on the limiter all the time, I would get in the region of 7.5 MPG, but, when driving at 52 all the time, I was regularly getting 9+ MPG :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

But, it is not purely down to the speed, driving style comes in to it too, if you ■■■■ it in every gear, you will not get as much as if you keep it in the green :wink:

Not read the full thread but I get 8.4 doing 54mph as am average or 34.1 klms to 100litres, as you’ve guessed it, I’m a DAF driver.